Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Clunk" feeling between acceleration and regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Owner of a 2017 MS 75D with roughly 78k miles. Recently I've noticed a "clunk" feeling when the car transitions from acceleration to regen or vice versa. It feels almost analogous to a gear shift in an ICE car. It happens about half a second after letting off the go pedal (to allow for regen) or hitting the go pedal (to stop regen and start accelerating). There isn't really a noise associated with it, at least from inside the cabin. Was wondering if anyone has experienced this feeling. I still have the battery/DU warranty but am not sure is this is a DU problem or more of a axle lash issue. Thanks

When this happened on my P85, it was due to the "safety" washer behind the axle nut needing to be replaced. It separates into two pieces and then you can hear them moving around relative to each other (at least that's my guess as to what causes the noise). I ended up buying a pair of axle nut and washer sets on eBay and replaced the side where I heard the noise coming from first. It solved the problem so I ended up not doing the other side.

These are probably what you need to fix the problem:
front
rear
edit: I almost forgot you are supposed to lubricate part of the axle where it touches the hub, too. I half-assed that part and the noise was still gone - I was trying to do the job quickly and could only get the grease about half-way around the end of the axle.

Attachments

• front.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 37
  • rear.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
When this happened on my P85, it was due to the "safety" washer behind the axle nut needing to be replaced. It separates into two pieces and then you can hear them moving around relative to each other (at least that's my guess as to what causes the noise). I ended up buying a pair of axle nut and washer sets on eBay and replaced the side where I heard the noise coming from first. It solved the problem so I ended up not doing the other side.

These are probably what you need to fix the problem:
front
rear
edit: I almost forgot you are supposed to lubricate part of the axle where it touches the hub, too. I half-assed that part and the noise was still gone - I was trying to do the job quickly and could only get the grease about half-way around the end of the axle.
Thanks for the insight, didn't know those washers could cause that. Turns out, I also recently had a clicking noise from the rear and some grease-packing on the half shaft splines did the trick. With the issue I talked about in my original post, there isn't really a noise associated with it, I evened tried listening for it with the windows down in a parking garage and there was nothing. Just the feeling of slack or play somewhere in the drivetrain when you're on and off the go pedal...

Hi all. Owner of a 2017 MS 75D with roughly 78k miles. Recently I've noticed a "clunk" feeling when the car transitions from acceleration to regen or vice versa. It feels almost analogous to a gear shift in an ICE car. It happens about half a second after letting off the go pedal (to allow for regen) or hitting the go pedal (to stop regen and start accelerating). There isn't really a noise associated with it, at least from inside the cabin. Was wondering if anyone has experienced this feeling. I still have the battery/DU warranty but am not sure is this is a DU problem or more of a axle lash issue. Thanks
At a Tesla meet up, we checked the rear axle nuts on four Model S cars and all eight were not quite up to the required tightness. They were certainly not loose but I was glad that we checked. I guess that they were correct when built but as most of the cars checked were high-mileage, there might have been some ‘settling in’ of the securing washer and wheel bearings. In view of the weight and performance of these cars, I believe that this is something worth checking every couple of years or so. They should be torqued to 245 Nm using a 32mm, deep, six point socket. Service Bulletin SB-12-31-001 was issued in 2013: 2013 Rear axle nut TSB SB-12-31-001.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
At a Tesla meet up, we checked the rear axle nuts on four Model S cars and all eight were not quite up to the required tightness. They were certainly not loose but I was glad that we checked. I guess that they were correct when built but as most of the cars checked were high-mileage, there might have been some ‘settling in’ of the securing washer and wheel bearings. In view of the weight and performance of these cars, I believe that this is something worth checking every couple of years or so. They should be torqued to 245 Nm using a 32mm, deep, six point socket. Service Bulletin SB-12-31-001 was issued in 2013: 2013 Rear axle nut TSB SB-12-31-001.
Thanks David! I recently checked all my axle nuts due to a "clicking" issue I recently had to fix. My current issue resembles more of a internal drivetrain "clunk" feeling, similar to a gear shift.

Reactions: David Harvey
Any chance motor mounts are covered under the 8 year battery/DU warranty?