Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 X battery died and replaced. How to condition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 P100d X wouldn't start after supercharging earlier this month. It had a ton of battery error messages. Fortunately it died right at the dealer and they diagnosed and replaced the HV battery. They said something about one of the wires that connects the cells had melted.

I asked them for documentation for the replacement battery and this set off a long series of confused texts and unproductive conversations and phone calls. They seem terrified to share data of any kind with customers.

Finally, they showed me on a terminal, but refused to print out, a CAC range for the old and the reconditioned battery they put in. And I convinced them to email it to me.

This is the CAC Average of your previously installed HV Battery as of 11/01/20 – 256.5 Ah

Your current CAC Average on the newly installed HV Battery is 258 Ah as of 11/16/2023

I've only been driving the new battery for two days so far, and my range seems much lower.

Is there something I should do to break in or condition this not-new battery?

This is the CAC Average of your previously installed HV Battery as of 11/01/20 – 256.5 Ah

Your current CAC Average on the newly installed HV Battery is 258 Ah as of 11/16/2023

I've only been driving the new battery for two days so far, and my range seems much lower.

Is there something I should do to break in or condition this not-new battery?
If this was my car, I would force a complete cycle. Charge it to 100%, then drain it down to just a few %, say 5%. Then charge it up to the normal value you choose, say 75ish %. That will serve to calibrate the BMS. Remember though, it is much cooler now, than in June, so reduced range is expected.

It is interesting the report reveals amp-hour numbers. That is a value that Tesla does not reveal. Which might be a reason Tesla was reluctant to share.