Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 VIN Model X Order and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mainly for resale purposes. If you plan to keep the car forever or longer than 5-6 years, it matters less.

You would think Tesla owners would be astute enough to realize a December 2016/Jan 2017 AP2 Tesla is identical.

March 2017 with AP2 and new battery pack is different than the car mentioned above.

On the flip side, wouldn't a 2016 Tesla be cheaper to ensure than a 2017 since its an older car say in 2018?

You would think Tesla owners would be astute enough to realize a December 2016/Jan 2017 AP2 Tesla is identical.

March 2017 with AP2 and new battery pack is different than the car mentioned above.

On the flip side, wouldn't a 2016 Tesla be cheaper to ensure than a 2017 since its an older car say in 2018?

I wish the public was knowledgable enough. Unfortunately, many of them rely on KBB and therefore, it's hard to convince some folks (who are buying Tesla as their first Tesla car) that Tesla is different. In fact, I feel KBB has flaws when it comes to evaluating Tesla. For example, I noticed that there is no price delta in KBB for a same Tesla with or without autopilot.

As for insurance, yes its cheaper to insure 2016 Tesla but its not that much cheaper. My 2016 Model X is going to be about $150 cheaper per year compared to if I was to get a 2017 Model X.

How do you know new batteries will be installed after Q4? Doesn't say in the article.

Every quarter, Tesla does "something" to ensure people make orders. For Q3-Q4, there was discounting of inventory models, AP2 and unlimited free supercharger.

Higher performance batteries and cars would be a sweetener for Q1-2017.

There is some in the Tesla community that can turn back in car they received in December of 2016 in January of 2017 if it is a better car.

Tesla can't confirm anything until its ready and/or matches their marketing timing if they want to capture those buyers.

There were many threads on people being unhappy when they missed the AP2 cut off.

I myself could of waited for the new batteries, but at -some point- you just need to pull the trigger and go!

Model X 75D
6-seat configuration
Silver Metallic
20" Silver Wheels
Multi-Pattern Black interior & seats
Dark Ash Wood Decor
Black Headliner
Enhanced Autopilot w/ Full Self-Driving
Premium Upgrades
Subzero & Towing Packages

Ordered 12/8
Confirmed 12/15
Assigned Vin 12/16, initially was a G but at some point changed to an H
Status: Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory.
Estimated Delivery Range: January, 2017 - Early February, 2017, though I was told it should be shipped by 12/31.

Got an e-mail 12/23 that production is complete. New status: "Estimated Delivery Range: December 25, 2016 - January 1, 2017." I'm pretty impressed at that timeline after confirming 12/15.

Reactions: chrisnavline54
Ordered X90D Nov 25, confirmed Nov 28 (only 3 days in Canada now to confirm after order), changed to a XP100D Dec 13, but got VIN Dec 24 with HF0351_ _, 2017 build and still shows X90D instead of XP100D on specs sheet.

My DS said he submitted my changes Dec 13th and when I asked him why my specs haven't changed Dec 19th, he confirmed that he sent in the change to add subzero and to upgrade to P100D. My expected delivery is still the same with end of Feb or early March date. Hopefully my specs sheet gets updated soon.

I also ordered on 11/25/16 and requested a 2017 build. Despite my DS confirming this, I ended up getting a "G" VIN and a 2016 build. They offered to have me take delivery 12/31/16 and get free all weather mats, or send it back and wait until March. Since my current vehicle (Q5) is well past 100K miles I didn't want to take the chance my trade in would be further reduced. So in less than a week I should have the vehicle. Too bad my electrician can't come any sooner than 1/6/17.

Last edited:
Ordered X90D Nov 25, confirmed Nov 28 (only 3 days in Canada now to confirm after order), changed to a XP100D Dec 13, but got VIN Dec 24 with HF0351_ _, 2017 build and still shows X90D instead of XP100D on specs sheet.

My DS said he submitted my changes Dec 13th and when I asked him why my specs haven't changed Dec 19th, he confirmed that he sent in the change to add subzero and to upgrade to P100D. My expected delivery is still the same with end of Feb or early March date. Hopefully my specs sheet gets updated soon.
Got a similar VIN and same delivery window. I wouldn't worry about your spec sheet being off if the DS confirmed your options for you.

Got a similar VIN and same delivery window. I wouldn't worry about your spec sheet being off if the DS confirmed your options for you.

We have the same sized battery pack and delivery window, so I suspect we will get our X's built, shipped and delivered at the same time. I'm not too worried about the wrong spec sheet being up on My Tesla page because they already took my $500 for changing over from X90D to the P100D two weeks ago.

I will most likely be taking the delivery on a Saturday after March 1st to coincide with the start of my business' fiscal year and to also bring the kids along. Maybe we'll see each other's MX.

We have the same sized battery pack and delivery window, so I suspect we will get our X's built, shipped and delivered at the same time. I'm not too worried about the wrong spec sheet being up on My Tesla page because they already took my $500 for changing over from X90D to the P100D two weeks ago.

I will most likely be taking the delivery on a Saturday after March 1st to coincide with the start of my business' fiscal year and to also bring the kids along. Maybe we'll see each other's MX.
Cool. Very likely indeed!

My DS replied....
Apparently Tesla are still working on the logic of 2017 VINS, they will at some point re- assign my VIN to reflect the 2017 build.

Let's see if this actually happens.
P
So NOT illegal to take delivery and get credit in 2016 for a 2017 titled car..just to take credit in 2016 but not get your car until 2017...doesn't matter about when you do paperwork or pay
This is inaccurate information. My wife purchased a 2017 Chevy Volt two months ago. Therefore even though the VIN shows it as a 17 the year she put it into service is 2016 and this is the year she is able to take the tax credit.