Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MS - car will not turn off - anyone else experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
Started experiencing a new problem on our less than month old Model S - after exiting the car, it will not shut off. I can lock it, I can get in and out of the car, open close doors, nothing changes - the car will not turn off until it's rebooted with the double thumb salute. Nothing is on the seats at all, so it's not the seat senor being triggered (unless of course it's broken).

Trying to figure out whether this is a software issue or a sensor problem, hence my question to see if others are seeing it? Firmware version 17.3.2 here.

Started experiencing a new problem on our less than month old Model S - after exiting the car, it will not shut off. I can lock it, I can get in and out of the car, open close doors, nothing changes - the car will not turn off until it's rebooted with the double thumb salute. Nothing is on the seats at all, so it's not the seat senor being triggered (unless of course it's broken).

Trying to figure out whether this is a software issue or a sensor problem, hence my question to see if others are seeing it? Firmware version 17.3.2 here.
Just a thought...

Have you tried to do the Power off button on the touchscreen.

Or perhaps a soft reset

I noticed tonight that my 17" display had stayed on. I opened and closed the driver's door, but that did not have any effect on the display. I wound up resetting it, and then when I left the car the display turned off normally.

I'm currently on firmware 8.0(2.52.22).

If it happens again I'll post again.

I noticed tonight that my 17" display had stayed on. I opened and closed the driver's door, but that did not have any effect on the display. I wound up resetting it, and then when I left the car the display turned off normally.

I'm currently on firmware 8.0(2.52.22).

If it happens again I'll post again.
Sounds the same. Resetting it seems to restore normal functionality, until next time it gets stuck.

• Informative
Reactions: Vortexx
What will that accomplish?

Resetting the dash/CID/controls as previously suggested and you called the double thumb salute won't help problems unrelated dash/CID/controls. You can drive while doing that. The power down process resets the entire power system of the car, which if having trouble 'shutting off' the car might be helpful. Tesla SvC had me do this when my AC continued to run well after exiting the car. They referred to it as a power re-boot and my A/C worked fine afterwards. Only take a few minutes and thought it might be worth trying. And BTW, its the same process you would perform in case of an emergency that required you to kill the car's power.....at least thats what SvC told me. :rolleyes:

Reactions: LuPapa
Power the entire car down from the touchscreen. Give it 5 mins or so and then re-enter and hit the brake.

FYI Edit: Touch Screen>Controls > E-Brake & Power Off > Power Off.> Exit Car>Wait 5 mins

I call that a cold reboot. Hitting the brake pedal is what does the power-up afterwards.

Road service had me do that when I was setting off for a 4,000-mile road trip, and after supercharging all "driver assistance features" were suddenly offline. Rebooting fixed everything, and I had no trouble for the rest of the trip.

I had to do it twice, though: the first time, he hadn't told me to wait, and I hit the brake pedal too soon. Had me do it again and "wait 2 minutes." That worked.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Will try the car-off-reset. I hope it helps as the problem seems to have gotten worse - the car was parked in the garage, everything off and good. Then few hours later I hear music from the garage, I go look, the car is on but this time unlocked! The handles presented without a key and I was able to open the door. Closing the door didn't turn the car off. I rebooted the ivi and closed the door. Once rebooted the car locked itself. This is rather concerning to me. I'm worried the car will wake up and unlock itself when parked in a public parking lot somewhere and someone who will hear the radio and realize the car is on will hit the door handles and get in. :( I wonder if this is related with the car randomly not able to recognize the key is in the car (e.g. it lets you in, you back up, then it won't let you drive because it can't see the key, then a minute later it detects the key and you can drive again). We have an SC appointment next week for something thing else, but I hope they can fix this one too.

CORRECTION to my post above. The car didn't unlock itself. Turns out while the car was in the garage, someone from the house went to retrieve something from the back seat - that was the unlock event. The car didn't re-lock itself once the key walked away though, plus it wouldn't turn off either, so there is still something wrong but at least I'm not worried about the car unlocking itself while parked - worst case scenario it will drain a few miles from the battery while keeping the climate on.

Here is another thought. Since about the time of the last firmware update my car has been doing some odd things like the door handles didn't auto present and a few other things. I discovered this afternoon that my SO had accidentally left the spare key in the console. When I removed the key, the car went back to its old behavior. Is it possible someone left a key in your car?

Here is another thought. Since about the time of the last firmware update my car has been doing some odd things like the door handles didn't auto present and a few other things. I discovered this afternoon that my SO had accidentally left the spare key in the console. When I removed the key, the car went back to its old behavior. Is it possible someone left a key in your car?
Spare key locked in drawer, actual key was in the house, so unfortunately not.