Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More than 3 M Shorts covered in September bringing the Shorts down to 27 M from 35 M in August. Looks like some finally realized that Tesla is not a good stock to go short with....

Indeed, considering their typical valuation methodologies, they would likely fare much better after researching established companies in stable industries, and then deciding whether to buy their shares or sell them short.

I believe building an EV on a traditional platform is one of the biggest mistakes of legacy automakers. I heard it from BMW before and understand their motivation to reduce costs and stay flexible with the mix but it looks to me like they did never drive a Tesla and understand the fundamental driving experience difference and the root cause ...

Tesla designs their electric vehicles from the ground up; BMW - not so much

I believe building an EV on a traditional platform is one of the biggest mistakes of legacy automakers. I heard it from BMW before and understand their motivation to reduce costs and stay flexible with the mix but it looks to me like they did never drive a Tesla and understand the fundamental driving experience difference and the root cause ...

This is the marketing people believing that their poop smells like perfume. In other words, people will buy a compromised product because of our heritage/ brand/ etc.

This is the marketing people believing that their poop smells like perfume. In other words, people will buy a compromised product because of our heritage/ brand/ etc.
There are plenty of people who will buy a compromised product because of brand. In fact, that’s how most expensive brands survive. My mother has nothing but problems with her Mercedes vehicles, but she keeps going back to them mostly because of the brand name and interior comfort. If they had a plug in hybrid SUV next time she was in the market she would buy one, not even considering that others have better offerings. BMW has those same type of people as customers, even if the 3 series sales are down and Tesla Model 3 has over 500k reservations..

That ascending triangle on the daily is even more pointy. It wants to break out in the next few sessions.

Maybe, and I'm surprised at how quickly SP recovered from yesterday's recall news.

It's a non-event, but this had not stopped SP from getting hit for a few days on even lesser news in the past.

There are plenty of people who will buy a compromised product because of brand. In fact, that’s how most expensive brands survive. My mother has nothing but problems with her Mercedes vehicles, but she keeps going back to them mostly because of the brand name and interior comfort. If they had a plug in hybrid SUV next time she was in the market she would buy one, not even considering that others have better offerings. BMW has those same type of people as customers, even if the 3 series sales are down and Tesla Model 3 has over 500k reservations..

I think of this as a spectrum: each person has their own unique limit to irrational economic/utility decisions.

Brands widen the gap one would need to jump to go from an irrational decision to a rational one, but there's a limit to that gap.

I expect Model 3 to be perceived as so much better than competing products that enough consumers will "jump" and ignite a movement in 2018.

Keeping in mind that corporate valuations are as subjective (forecasts of future, personal return expectations, and risk tolerances) as they are objective (fundamental factors, discounted cash flow models, technical analysis methods, risk models, and so on), could you please walk us through how you reached the conclusion that TSLA would be a massive sell at a market cap of $200B next month? Thanks in advance.

Isn't it obvious?

• Love
Reactions: DaveT
Going from 50B to 200B Market Cap in one month means a massive Short Squeeeeeeezeeeeee ;)

That would be awesome, please, please let TSLA do that. But, I would sell every share and buy puts. So would three quarters of the members here. They may have a 200B market cap in 15 years and that price will seem like a reasonable thing, but it would be too hasty for 2017. That's also the reason I don't think TSLA will ever squeeze. The holdings are too liquid. Only Elon's shares are really locked up. The institutions would sell some and the retail investors like me would bail fast. It's not that they wouldn't retake 200B at some point in the future, but its a clear trading opportunity.

That would be awesome, please, please let TSLA do that. But, I would sell every share and buy puts. So would three quarters of the members here. They may have a 200B market cap in 15 years and that price will seem like a reasonable thing, but it would be too hasty for 2017. That's also the reason I don't think TSLA will ever squeeze. The holdings are too liquid. Only Elon's shares are really locked up. The institutions would sell some and the retail investors like me would bail fast. It's not that they wouldn't retake 200B at some point in the future, but its a clear trading opportunity.

Well said. I’ve been waiting on a TSLA short squeeze for a while now, all indicators to me are indicative of a breakout...however it continues to just not happen.

Frankly, I’m happy to see BMW take this approach. It produces cars that are superior to their ICE offerings, but inferior to clean-sheet EVs (at this point, just Tesla).

From an environmental standpoint, it gets more customers into EVs sooner, which has immediate environmental benefits. It also creates a financially compelling case for solar, so it has longer-term environmental benefits as well.

From an investor standpoint, I don’t think of these cars as “Tesla killers,” but as “Tesla incubators.” Tesla doesn’t have the production capacity to provide these customers with EVs yet. These “compromised” EVs from traditional automakers give customers the chance to experience the superiority of an EV and get comfortable with the differences. By the time they make their next car purchase, they’ll be looking for the best EV available— and hopefully, Tesla will have the production capacity to provide it for them.

Edit: added a missing word.

Sooo.... You don't think that Tesla is a cult stock, don't you?

Maybe, and I'm surprised at how quickly SP recovered from yesterday's recall news.

It's a non-event, but this had not stopped SP from getting hit for a few days on even lesser news in the past.

I think of this as a spectrum: each person has their own unique limit to irrational economic/utility decisions.

Brands widen the gap one would need to jump to go from an irrational decision to a rational one, but there's a limit to that gap.

I expect Model 3 to be perceived as so much better than competing products that enough consumers will "jump" and ignite a movement in 2018.

Companies behave the same way.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Sure - same as going from $30 to $120, and here we are just three years later looking at 3x more return.

I'm taking the rest of the day and weekend off. Have a good weekend everyone!
Nitpick: I make it four to four-and-a-half. I know I entered at 51 in April 2013 and sold enough in September to regain my stake (about half) almost at ath (~190), just before the advertised traditional fiscal freeze. Today is 2017 (common era). I'm also relaxed into the weekend. Que sera, sera. :cool:
Have a good one!

In my opinion, that it terrible non advice. I would never suggest that anyone go all in 100% on options, and think it would be foolish.
Especially if you did not spend any time worrying about timing or RISK. Even if the stock ends up way over $380 per share by the expiration, there is a very decent chance that those options could have some huge draw downs between now and 2020. It would be very easy to go in 100% on them, have them plummet 80% In value, freak out and sell at a huge loss, only to watch them go charging back later. Or there is also the possibility of a big macro crash that could easily have Tesla's stock price below $380 in Jan of 2020. I am not saying you shouldn't buy any, but to put in 100% of your portfolio in them is suicide in my opinion.
It's a foolish decision because you think it's foolish?!

Or because it will be wildly profitable but someone might do something stupid in the interim?

Unlike you I'm going to be polite and not tell you what your advice is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.