Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There were 1,079,451 shares available for shorting at Fidelity at 8:06am, the largest since I started consistently to keep records on 11/11/2016. It seems that Fidelity anticipates a lot of demand, as I think SP is at vulnerable spot and short sellers might be enticed to use this opportunity to trigger some further slide down.
I wonder if the idiots who bought into the Gigafactory is a Potemkin Village are going to start bailing due to the SA tweets or start doubling down.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
If Mobileye is worth $15.3B, what is TSLA's autopilot worth?

Essentially $0. Since they don't plan on selling it to other OEMs it is only worth what it would save them in costs of buying another companies solution. And since it is probably cheaper to buy another solution, even if it isn't as good, then it is to develop your own I'm not sure the market will value Tesla Vision at all. (Until Tesla starts selling/licensing it to others.)

Essentially $0. Since they don't plan on selling it to other OEMs it is only worth what it would save them in costs of buying another companies solution. And since it is probably cheaper to buy another solution, even if it isn't as good, then it is to develop your own I'm not sure the market will value Tesla Vision at all. (Until Tesla starts selling/licensing it to others.)
I'm not sure that that's correct. If the intel BMW solution isn't as good I believe this acquisition makes it clear that the underlying technology is a valuable asset.

Maybe they should start selling it?

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
depends how they price it in Model 3's.... what's the associated revenue per vehicle? Also, potential future licensing if it becomes the industry standard.. conservatively, I'd put it below Mobileye right now, maybe $5-10b?
I hope that Tesla offers a "lease to own" feature for full autonomy for the Model 3, to encourage buy-in among the lower-end M3 purchasers, with outright purchase of course also being available. I think that there would be a large number of people who would be willing to try out the full autonomy for a month, then get hooked by the convenience. That would lower the entry barrier for a lot of people, and I think the traditional automakers would have a hard time competing with that.

I hope that Tesla offers a "lease to own" feature for full autonomy for the Model 3, to encourage buy-in among the lower-end M3 purchasers, with outright purchase of course also being available. I think that there would be a large number of people who would be willing to try out the full autonomy for a month, then get hooked by the convenience. That would lower the entry barrier for a lot of people, and I think the traditional automakers would have a hard time competing with that.

With AP1 Tesla offered, at least to some people, AP a free one month trial. So no doubt Tesla will do the same for the Model 3.

Looking for the news. Check out the recent jump after hours.
tslamar13.JPG

Edit: volume is only about 1200 shares/min.I'd expect higher volume if actual news of South Australia deal came out.

Last edited:
$TSLA great time to buy right now i expect the market to melt up this week
Your exuberance is starting to enter broken clock territory. Any specific reason other than the feels that you think this is the week? Any concerns about the likely fed rate increase that I believe is also this week, making an upward melt less likely?

Your exuberance is starting to enter broken clock territory. Any specific reason other than the feels that you think this is the week? Any concerns about the likely fed rate increase that I believe is also this week, making an upward melt less likely?

The Fed rate increase is so generally accepted by now that it won't surprise anyone.... however, any other wording by the fed in the process of announcing that rate increase may have interesting results.

The storm on the East coast may have interesting results including a drop in volume which is already really low for TSLA.....

I personally won't be convinced we have re-entered an up-trend until I see buying pressure and the volume dynamics change.

Edit: premarket is only 10k volume, and that's after all the SA news and Citron closing their short position.

Yesterday there was some covering (some short sellers apparently felt it was right time to exit), but overall there was a net shorting day, with net 288k shares borrowed.

Today there was again a large quantity of shares available for borrowing at Fidelity, while interest rate went down from 1.25% to 0.75%. Apparently there is not much demand, so Fidelity lowered the interest rate to entice more short positions.

Snap1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.