Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote by Elon from the 2017 Q2 ER. I didn't remember him saying that this recently.

As a side note, we're also making great progress on our internal Autopilot software. It's getting better and better. I'm really, really excited. I test drive the latest development release as soon as it comes out, and I'm like, this is really getting to be something special. Because, yes, it's really -- and I think it's going to accelerate from here. And the talent that we're seeing drawing on the technical side for Autopilot is really world class. I don't think there's -- it's unmatched anywhere, I would say.
And this:
Yes. But just on Buffalo, if I may, I really want to emphasize we expect the Buffalo Gigafactory to be a powerhouse of solar panel and solar glass tile output. It is going to be a kickass facility. We've made that commitment to the state of New York. We are going to keep that. commitment. So -- and then we're also thinking hard about where do we put Gigafactories 3, 4, 5 and 6. We expect to keep the majority of our production in the U.S. and -- but, it's obviously going to make sense to establish a Gigafactory in China and Europe, just to serve the markets there because it's not too -- (inaudible) in California and truck them halfway around the world, particularly when you're trying to make things as affordable as possible, that really hurt. We really want to get -- make our cars as affordable as possible, and so that does require some amount of local market production, particularly for the mass market vehicles in order to make it as accessible as possible. So we think hard about that. I think we'll have some announcements on at least a few of those locations before the end of the year. But we don't expect to spend significant money on them. Just it's identifying the location, doing the long lead-time stuff, the permits, the planning. This doesn't cost a lot of money. It's only when you really start moving dirt and putting up concrete and steel and buying equipment that the big money starts to be required.

Last edited:
Days like this remind me why I decided to never seriously leverage again, and more importantly, why is that a good decision for me. With my (only) 102% exposure to TSLA, I'm cool as a cucumber, and ready to ride it down to $250 if needs be (hope not!!!)
Me too. Just went all in with June $340's and J19 $350's.
Model X -- Deja Vu .. All Over Again ;)
No, this time they are on time:
Now, will we actually be able to achieve volume production on July 1 next year? Of course not.
The reason is that even if 99% of the internally produced items and supplier items are available on July 1, we still cannot produce the car because you cannot produce a car that is missing 1% of its components.

Nonetheless, we need to, both internally and with suppliers, take that date seriously, and there need to be some penalties for anyone, internally or externally, who does not meet that timeframe. This has to be the case because there's just no way that you have several thousand components, all of whom make it on a particular date.

The reality is that the volume production will then be some number of months later, as we solve the supply chain and internal production issues.

Me too. Just went all in with June $340's and J19 $350's.

No, this time they are on time:
Now, will we actually be able to achieve volume production on July 1 next year? Of course not.
The reason is that even if 99% of the internally produced items and supplier items are available on July 1, we still cannot produce the car because you cannot produce a car that is missing 1% of its components.

Nonetheless, we need to, both internally and with suppliers, take that date seriously, and there need to be some penalties for anyone, internally or externally, who does not meet that timeframe. This has to be the case because there's just no way that you have several thousand components, all of whom make it on a particular date.

The reality is that the volume production will then be some number of months later, as we solve the supply chain and internal production issues.

you decided to completely miss the most significant portion of that CC:

May 2016:

Elon: “So as a rough guess, I would say we would aim to produce 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3s in the second half of next year. That’s my expectation right now.”

Elon Musk: Tesla Model 3 Production Target Is Up To 200,000 In Second Half Of 2017

still think they're on time?... would you consider that dramatic of a miscalculation negligence or manipulation?

Quote by Elon from the 2017 Q2 ER. I didn't remember him saying that this recently.

As a side note, we're also making great progress on our internal Autopilot software. It's getting better and better. I'm really, really excited. I test drive the latest development release as soon as it comes out, and I'm like, this is really getting to be something special. Because, yes, it's really -- and I think it's going to accelerate from here. And the talent that we're seeing drawing on the technical side for Autopilot is really world class. I don't think there's -- it's unmatched anywhere, I would say.
And this:
Yes. But just on Buffalo, if I may, I really want to emphasize we expect the Buffalo Gigafactory to be a powerhouse of solar panel and solar glass tile output. It is going to be a kickass facility. We've made that commitment to the state of New York. We are going to keep that. commitment. So -- and then we're also thinking hard about where do we put Gigafactories 3, 4, 5 and 6. We expect to keep the majority of our production in the U.S. and -- but, it's obviously going to make sense to establish a Gigafactory in China and Europe, just to serve the markets there because it's not too -- (inaudible) in California and truck them halfway around the world, particularly when you're trying to make things as affordable as possible, that really hurt. We really want to get -- make our cars as affordable as possible, and so that does require some amount of local market production, particularly for the mass market vehicles in order to make it as accessible as possible. So we think hard about that. I think we'll have some announcements on at least a few of those locations before the end of the year. But we don't expect to spend significant money on them. Just it's identifying the location, doing the long lead-time stuff, the permits, the planning. This doesn't cost a lot of money. It's only when you really start moving dirt and putting up concrete and steel and buying equipment that the big money starts to be required.

If I remember correctly Buffalo GigaFactory was supposed to be up and running by end of year. hasn't happened yet ? No news these days on this front.

you decided to completely miss the most significant portion of that CC:
May 2016:
Elon: “So as a rough guess, I would say we would aim to produce 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3s in the second half of next year. That’s my expectation right now.”
Elon Musk: Tesla Model 3 Production Target Is Up To 200,000 In Second Half Of 2017

still think they're on time?... would you consider that dramatic of a miscalculation negligence or manipulation?

Indeed, they are a few months behind their schedule of being 2 years early.

Last edited:
Camp out at $370, maybe?
Screenshot_20171026-224519.jpg

Tesla cuts Model 3 part orders to Taiwan supplier Hota: report

"
TAIPEI (Reuters) - Luxury electric carmaker Tesla (TSLA.O) plans to slash by 40 percent its orders for parts for the new Model 3 mass-market sedan from Taiwanese auto component maker Hota Industrial Mfg. Co (1536.TW) from December, according to a media report.

Shares of the parts maker dropped nearly 9 percent after the Economic Daily News reported, citing Hota Chairman Shen Kuo-jung, that Tesla had told the firm orders would be cut to 3,000 sets per week from 5,000 sets starting December, due to a “bottleneck” in the production of Model 3.

Tesla may delay scheduled weekly shipments of 10,000 parts in March by a few weeks until May or June, the report added."

TL;DR
Bad news: TSLA cut orders to facilitate 3000 units/week by december.
Good news: TSLA cut orders to facilitate 3000 units/week by december.

Status
Not open for further replies.