Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On M3, Elon underlined more than one time that the S curve can be influences by many factors and unfortunately it did. So obviously they are at the lower tail of the curve today but seriously why should that be a big deal ? A miss by 1250 is in December a miss of assumed 1 day of production (assuming 5k/week run rate as planned)
Exactly, although I'm not sure the market will ever realize this.....

The "no fundamental issues" part really rang bad bells in my head.

Here is why:

Q3 2015

<A - Elon Reeve Musk>: Yeah, I mean, we're - as we talked about before, really, the main thing with the X is just scaling up production. We're making steady progress with each passing week. Actually, seven days a week, every day, I get an update on manufacturing progress and what the issues are. And we see no fundamental issues on the production ramp. It's just a question of how quickly we can solve each issue. I mean they are really down to like the little things, like the placement of the seal on the door and whether that results in the bright trim alignment being correct, this is quite nuanced. So we feel very confident of being able to get to several hundred vehicles per week by the end of the year.

Q4 2015

<A - Elon Reeve Musk>: Or seals, yeah. The seals. Yeah, the seals have been a huge pain. I mean, essentially the seals had to be redesigned, and then the seals that we did have had to be reworked by hand in order to sort of fit correctly. Yeah. Seals are a bane. We had a lot of issues with the second door seats, we have now in-sourced that capability. Yeah, we really don't see any fundamental issues.

Q2 2016

<A - Elon Reeve Musk>: Well, I think the Model 3 is overwhelmingly our focus. Yeah. Things feel really quite stable with Model S and Model X. We're kind of in the mode of continuous improvement, but no fundamental issues. So, I feel like the machine that's making Model X and Model S is actually functioning quite well right now. And I definitely burn out of few neurons and a lot of other people did solving the production ramp earlier this year. I feel we're in a good place at this point. So, the focus really is on Model 3 and followed by full autonomy as - well it's our two priorities.

"No fundamental issues" is really no fundamental issues only at the tail end of Q2. We got decent volume production only Q3 2016 onwards.

Weren't the people in charge of Model X production over this period let go? The model 3 is easier to build than the model S, and the model S didn't have any major long term delays during the ramp like the X. The S had minor delays in the ramp.

Last edited:
I thought the GM downward guidance was due to initial horribly negative margin Model 3s? If so, the crappy M3 deliveries should actually help margins beat guidance. Maybe it was even intentional to not deliver a lot of these produced M3s and they are held in QA pending final touches.
Not really. With lower than expected productions on the 3. They just reached -1200% GM on the 260 produced instead of -200% GM on 1500 or something like that. Worse, they might have spent more to fix issues they did not anticipate, making margins even worse.

u-s-highest-corporate-income-tax.jpg
What is the effective tax rate? It is my understanding a few years ago that half of US corporations pay no tax at all. Especially egregious is Standard Oil's effort during the Eisenhower Administration. 1) change the tax law here to permit deduction of foreign income taxes; then, 2) tell the Saudis to call any increase in oil price an income tax. (I think this is what Musk's finds most pernicious about subsidies to the fossil industry.)

I have the book, somewhere, but can't find it now. Christopher Rand, a retired oil executive, blew the whistle on this and other matters in his 1975 book published by Little Brown: Making Democracy Safe for Oil: Oilmen and the Islamic East. He exposed Socal's tax bill and profits one year. (General Nos are correct order of magnitude, but don't hold me to details since it has been 42 years since I read the book.) Worldwide profits for the year (??don't remember) ∼$650,000,000. After deductions tax bill: ∼$86000 refund. But something like AMT brought that up to ∼$200,000 or so. Effective tax rate (using my dodgy numbers): .03% (I have confidence I am not wrong by as much as one percentage point on the calculation.)

I became interested in U.S. energy policy in the 70s during the oil embargo. Then a number of economists found to their amazement that their studies showed no collusion by the companies to fix prices. The problem was the government. Why didn't they study the government's connection to the industry? Admittedly, when students wanted to re-enact a protest rally then I publicly burned my Shell credit card, so you should know I'm a spurious character on this issue.

Where are you coming from?

I'm happy with the report - I didn't expect something else.

What confuses me: "...and we are confident of addressing the manufacturing bottleneck issues in the near-term...." I'm not a native English speaker at all, but does this mean they did not address the bottleneck issues yet? so they are not working on these issues now (so working on other non-bottleneck issues right now?)

to address some issues means to start thinking on how to solve it. not to solve them?

To me they are saying the bottleneck issues are not fixed yet.
I agree with your last statement. They are thinking about how to fix some of the issues. They do not have a fix yet that they are putting in place. Others might have a different take on that tho.

Not really. With lower than expected productions on the 3. They just reached -1200% GM on the 260 produced instead of -200% GM on 1500 or something like that. Worse, they might have spent more to fix issues they did not anticipate, making margins even worse.

You only look at margins at scale. We ain't at scale yet.
Scale comes in 2018

All analysts know this. Even the haters

One person's take: In the long term this will not be a problem for TSLA share holders. The S/X delivery numbers were good and I suspect we will not see a repeat of the X early production debacle.

The drop AH does not surprise me though. It is all because of the '3'. Even though EM couched his wording about the possibility of the ramp being delayed by a week or so having a meaningful impact on the 'S' curve, Wall Street's last memory of a new auto product ramp by Tesla was the X.

As soon as there was *any* mention of even a minor issue causing production/ramp delays the bots were sure to be set off in a negative direction as were some human traders.

Once there is clear evidence that truckloads of the model 3s are being delivered the SP will recover. Until then it will be difficult to predict the direction of the SP day to day.

Weren't the people in charge of Model X production over this period let go? The model 3 is easier to built than the model S, and the model S didn't have any major long term delays during the ramp like the X. The S had minor delays in the ramp.
Yet, still the Model 3 has no FM radio. So perhaps it's a mindset or a goal-setting problem rather than the actual implementation.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: MitchJi and neroden
Weren't the people in charge of Model X production over this period let go? The model 3 is easier to built than the model S, and the model S didn't have any major long term delays during the ramp like the X. The S had minor delays in the ramp.

We're not privy to the details here, but if his top production people went along with it and told Musk they could meet those deadlines then they were also part of the problem.

1). Record deliveries

2). Raised Q4 guidance thousands of units guiding to 100k for CY17

3). MX is nearly as popular as MS

Model 3 had some bottlenecks. Likely get resolve within weeks

Likely, but not assured. It seems a lot of us here, I included, got caught up and in the hope of decent Model deliveries. We tried to read what little evidence existed, but I'm afraid we tended to view that evidence with more rose colored glasses.

I still think it's likely issues will get resolved quickly, but I'm no longer taking it for granted, especially with the vague "near-term" qualifier for addressing the bottleneck issues.

It doesn't matter too much to me anyway since I'm very long. But I do need to sell a few shares to cover the down payment and get my Model 3 wrapped. Since I'm in the Oct-Dec delivery window, there are some timing issues wrt getting the best price on my shares. Hopefully my reservation is just late enough that by the time delivery approaches the bottlenecks are resolved and cars are flying off the line.

I bet the MS/MX Gross Margins are sequentially higher.

That's material and important

We will see on Q3 ER call
I'm not arguing against this either...

The whole point of management warned of lower GM guidance for Q3 was early 3 production cost. This cost is unlikely to be significantly lower just because they produced 260, not 1500+ as they guided because most was fixed cost planned months ago. This cost is more than likely to overshadow one or two thousands additional S/X otherwise it wouldn't warrant a lower guidance on overall GM to begin with.

We're not privy to the details here, but if his top production people went along with it and told Musk they could meet those deadlines then they were also part of the problem.
What were they supposed to do? Refuse to work until he gave them a reasonable timeline? They would have been gone at that point rather than after. I get the sense that Elon gives the deadlines, not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.