Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don’t be too dismissive of Apple or Google/Waymo’s efforts. My money’s on Tesla (literally), but solving FSD with ugly, clunky HW could work. I like Tesla’s approach better, and think it more likely to succeed, but the outcome is not clear yet. Self-driving with ugly, clunky HW could start on robo-taxis, where looks matter much less (see the popularity of Prius taxis). If that market grows as fast as I believe it will, Apple or Google may never need to figure out how to make the HW palatable for consumer vehicles.

Don’t be too dismissive of Apple or Google/Waymo’s efforts. My money’s on Tesla (literally), but solving FSD with ugly, clunky HW could work. I like Tesla’s approach better, and think it more likely to succeed, but the outcome is not clear yet. Self-driving with ugly, clunky HW could start on robo-taxis, where looks matter much less (see the popularity of Prius taxis). If that market grows as fast as I believe it will, Apple or Google may never need to figure out how to make the HW palatable for consumer vehicles.

Curious to see if Tesla's demo is still on by year-end or "shortly thereafter"

• Helpful
Reactions: MitchJi
Don’t be too dismissive of Apple or Google/Waymo’s efforts... ugly, clunky... robo-taxis.... If that market grows as fast as I believe it will, Apple or Google may never need to figure out how to make the HW palatable for consumer vehicles.

Not only dismissable,
it’s not a deployable solution beyond testing for ANY market.
and the engineering will have to be redone from scratch,
and it won’t apply to any EV,
and they won’t even be able to use most of the data generated.
Nope, nope, nope. - these are all academic excercises by companies with $s to burn
Google glass revisited...

Last edited:
I disagree with the notion that Tesla will imitate the Apple approach of 20% market share with vast majority of profits.

iPhone has always been more expensive vs. other options; whereas Model 3 costs less (TCO before tax incentive) AND is better vs. "competition" and I don't see this changing anytime soon. Even the cost conscious population (that use Android) will choose to ride on Model 3 when Tesla Network becomes reality in 2021+

Rapid dismantling of a Tesla Model X:

0.png
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

One day Tesla will be this efficient. If there is a car problem, they will do it on the go.

Last edited:
yes. plus remember that not only does tesla have the GF, they apparently are still the only company to put a single software architecture across the entire vehicle. its been 5 years since the launch of the Model S and not a single other company is able to update their cars like tesla.
Many are able to, but they have chosen not to. Could be for dealership pushback. There have been some serious issues with Tesla's frequent updates also, like the one with sudden loss of power while driving. And some downgrades too, like the counter gate and launch mode power reduction. Teslas were also quite easy to hack. May be still are.

Here is GM ~2 years ago. All GM cars have Onstar connectivity for a long time that does various useful things. They can do it anytime.
Who knows? With all the Tesla pumpers showing up on CNBC and endlessly singing the virtues of OTA updates, as if it is some black magic stuff, may be the other manufacturers will be forced to do it too so they look cool to newbie Wall St auto analysts.
I'm just hopeful that they won't use the OTA as an excuse to release half-baked features, as Tesla has been doing. Just dump unfinished cars and deliver the 'promised features' someday, if ever. ;)

UPDATE 1-GM says will not use 'over-the-air' upgrades on safety systems
Mark Reuss, head of GM’s global product development, said the U.S. No. 1 automaker plans to expand the use of over-the-air upgrades as it adopts a new electrical architecture for its vehicles over the next several years. GM makes some over-the-air updates to vehicles now through its OnStar telematics system, Reuss said.

We don’t do as much PR around it,” said Reuss, speaking at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, adding that GM’s new electrical architecture will be “ever more safe” from a data security standpoint and allow for additional upgrades.

However, asked if GM would use over-the-air upgrades for vehicle systems such as braking or steering, Reuss said: “We would never do that.”

Reading this article is really painful. They are saying nothing interesting because that’s all they can do. At every turn, Hermie could have talked up EVs - like say - fundamentally they can have a bigger and safer crumple zone than ICE - but it’s like he’s gagged to say anything that would cannibalize their existing smokers, so the answers are inane.
Absolutely. The article makes it look like current EVs are less safe than ICEs, while just the opposite is true (at least for Tesla).

Absolutely. The article makes it look like current EVs are less safe than ICEs, while just the opposite is true (at least for Tesla).

Maybe Daimler's EVs built on existing ICE architecture is less safe than an ICE? Or at least they wont be able to gather the EV advantages, as their crumple zones etc. will only be as large as the ICE model allowed.

So perhaps his answers in the article didnt talk up EV safety, because in their current model , there are none?..

Nah.. you wont get an ICE enigne pushed into your lap in a collision, so they must have some advantages, even in an ICE-to-EV build?

remember the $**6's post?

9/05: high $356 low $346
9/06: pin $346
9/07: rise with bottom at $347
9/08: drop with hold at $345 close $343
9/11: AH close $365
9/12: drop with recovery to $366 close $363
9/13: open $359 close $366
9/14: dramatic morning rise to $376
9/15: close $376
9/18: close $386
9/19: close $376
9/20: swing with late day peak at $376 close $374
9/21: open $376 close $366
9/22: open $366 dramatic drop to $356 close $352
9/25: drop $350 spike $356 close $346
9/26: swings around $346 close $344
9/27: late spike $346 close $341
9/28: morning drop $336 close $337
9/29: $338 - $344 anomaly
10/2: morning swing drop $336 pin $337 AH spike $348 AH close $336
10/3: open $336 dramatic rise to close $348 AH close $350
10/4: dramatic rise $356
10/5: close $356
10/6: open $356 swing $360 close $356
10/9: open drop to $346 close $342 AH close $346
10/10: open $346 dramatic rise all day $356
10/11: close $356
10/12: close $356
10/13: close $356
10/16: open $346 high $353 close $350
10/17: close $356
10/18: high $363 close $360 (see that... basically equivalent to 10/16 just add $10)
10/19: premarket macro down... $356

• Funny
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Status
Not open for further replies.