Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto-wipers look completely broken, and totally unsafe in this video.

How can an optional, user override-able feature that activates the wipers be "totally unsafe"?

As to the video, it looked (from the first 2:30 or so) like it was not raining. The moisture was kicked up by the passing cars. Because of that, the driver's side (especially the mid/lower part) received the bulk of the spray. The passenger and upper center where the camera is, appeared to stay much clearer (esp if the camera heater was evaporating what spray did hit there). Any sensor can only see what is in front of it.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 person
Just came back from my first drive with 2017.50.3 (50.2 before). Here are my thoughts and findings:
  • Auto lane change is smoother again and it still feels "confident" and accurate
  • Braking to a full stop at a red light is super smooth now but for my taste there's still a too big of a gap to the car in front (we don't have that much space to waste on streets here and leaving a gap of nearly one car length annoys some folks)
  • Braking after reducing the set autopilot max speed is also smoother again. In 50.2 it felt like instant braking down to the new set speed even if it was only for 1km/h less. Now in 50.3 it's more like lifting gas pedal and let it roll with low regen
  • On sharp curves (in one particular case it was a connecting ramp between two highways) AP went over inner line and headed towards the side wall. I disengaged AP so l don't know if it would have corrected itself
  • In another case AP steered to the far left towards a side wall on an almost straight section of the highway with more than enough room to the right and with both, left and right, lane markers recognised
  • Auto wipers on setting 1 is OK i guess but I like setting 2 better. Both recognising the rain but on 2 more accurate and faster.
  • On auto wiper setting 2 l think the wiping speed does vary a little but it was not that much rain to conclude this definitely
  • Some times the wipers didn't went completely back down to the resting position (not the off position). l would say they stopped 5 to 10 degrees early. When that happened, I had to turn the wipers off (return to stand-by position) and on again or they would always stop early at that position
All in all I can see a positive progress in the latest updates.

Still variable. I've driven over 400 miles so far on it and it gets it more right but its still oddly erratic.
Yes, after this morning's experience, I guess I have to retract my praise. It seems that, when coming up on a stopped line of cars, the car still barrels along without a sign of slowing, forcing me to have to hit the brake. Maybe it would have decided to brake, but it reaches a point where I am afraid to wait and see. It's still too reactionary when stopping for cars turning left out of my lane, and waiting too long before starting to move again.

Also, the car still tries to dart right when cresting a rise in the road. Hello!!

One kinda scary thing with autopilot: last night, we were driving behind a pickup with a flatbed trailer and all of a sudden the icon for the truck started flickering while in autopilot. Decided to manually take over after that

Good call, the edge of the trailer does not provide a great cross section to the radar (says the guy who back into a perpendicular plow blade because the ultrasonics didn't see it (non-Tesla)).

More time with 2017.50.3, I might be exaggerating just a little bit, but in the city it actually feels like maybe 50% of the magnitude of the 2017.34 -> 2017.42 improvement. It's handling aggressive city curves, broken lane lines, and turn lane splits with a lot more finesse than 2017.48.

Overall, it feels a lot smoother too. For example, when you engage AP a bit off center it doesn't immediately snap you to center, but gradually drifts over. I am continuing to see lane recognition be a bit more capable compared to before. Strongly suspecting neural net changes.

Overall, thumbs-up so far. It's not just doing my city commute with no takeovers (except traffic lights), it's now doing it without any unnecessarily hard steering.

Stopping for stopped cars is marginally better than before but not perfect yet. I find that if I manually slow down to 30mph it will handle it comfortably, but any faster than that and it's downright frightening watching it barrel towards a stopped car.

So here is something that I have noticed on 50.3 that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread. It may be my mind, but I listen to a certain playlist on my 40+ minute commute at least once a week and I noticed that the bass seems much deeper, louder, and clearer. I have the UHFS in my 2017 S75 and wanted to know if anyone else noticed this. I don't think I would have noticed other than the fact that I have listened to these same songs at least 30 times in the last few months at a consistent volume.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget and Doctt
So here is something that I have noticed on 50.3 that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread. It may be my mind, but I listen to a certain playlist on my 40+ minute commute at least once a week and I noticed that the bass seems much deeper, louder, and clearer. I have the UHFS in my 2017 S75 and wanted to know if anyone else noticed this. I don't think I would have noticed other than the fact that I have listened to these same songs at least 30 times in the last few months at a consistent volume.
Now that u mentioned, I felt the same

I found 17.44 handled sweeping curves much better than the next release I received, 50.2. Night or day, 50.2, on the same road at speeds between 70-80 MPH, hugged the outside of the outer lane I was in, at times riding on the line. Straight line performance was much better however.

Fast forward to 50.3: On the same road, although a different time of day so sun position/glare was different, and contrast differences due to road salt residue, there was no discernible difference from 50.2. At 68 MPH in the outside lane of a right sweeping curve, AS placed me directly on the yellow lane line, running over the reflective markers.

Same lane on left sweeping curves, AS placed me dangerously close to the markers, once so close to a tractor trailer I had to force a disengagement. Outside curve lust I suppose.

Lower speeds < 60 fared much better. Work in progress and need more testing, perhaps once the snow is gone I'll try the same road in the center lane, eliminating the yellow lane line, although it should not have been a factor on a left sweeping curve.

More time with 2017.50.3, I might be exaggerating just a little bit, but in the city it actually feels like maybe 50% of the magnitude of the 2017.34 -> 2017.42 improvement. It's handling aggressive city curves, broken lane lines, and turn lane splits with a lot more finesse than 2017.48.

Overall, it feels a lot smoother too. For example, when you engage AP a bit off center it doesn't immediately snap you to center, but gradually drifts over. I am continuing to see lane recognition be a bit more capable compared to before. Strongly suspecting neural net changes.

Overall, thumbs-up so far. It's not just doing my city commute with no takeovers (except traffic lights), it's now doing it without any unnecessarily hard steering.

Stopping for stopped cars is marginally better than before but not perfect yet. I find that if I manually slow down to 30mph it will handle it comfortably, but any faster than that and it's downright frightening watching it barrel towards a stopped car.

I've tested consistently to 40mph. After that it drops to <10% success rate. 40mph was actually very good on .42 (90%!). Its probably between 50-70% now.

It might even emergency brake on the ones where I abort but I'd rather not be in a position to rely on that. What I hate most is that it will display the car in front, start regen, and then, inexplicably, GUN it towards that stopped car and then, 500 feet away, start slamming the brakes (but not nearly hard enough!). Maybe it increases the brake, maybe not? I don't wait to find out either.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TaoJones and Rouget
I had noticed better bass after my car came back from having the ECU replaced a few weeks ago and assumed that was why, but I wonder if they changed something in the .48 release range, as my car was updated to that at the same time.

I love the new sound.

yes noticed the smoother drift toward the center of the lane....nice!
still had a problem tho where the car went thru an intersection and decided to jump into the adjacent lane!! This is right now the biggest problem with autopilot -- traveling on a green light thru an intersection - not sure how it can jump a lane even with cars in front it could have tracked AP2 Tesla.