Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S P90++ - UNIQUE: Most powerful RWD Tesla in the world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way I could afford this car (waiting for my Model 3 reservation), but I’d love to see the 1/4 mike times for this thing with 100% charge and wider rear tires. Just throw something ugly and wide on there for the drag strip and then you can swap the nice Tesla wheels back on for daily driving.

If you can prove this car runs faster than a MS P90D then you’re in business ;)

So, today I was working on a newer salvage car with only ~700 miles on it ... a 90D. A quick check showed that pack to be in slightly better health than the one in this car by about 3 kWh. So, I snagged the newer pack for this car and made the swap.

The P90++ now has a battery pack that's nearly brand new and less than 1000 miles and less than 10 cycles on it. 100% charge should increase about 10 miles, too. Yay!

If you’ve got other Tesla’s lying around with spare parts you should also swap in the updated front fascia. A lot of people like the new look better, especially now that the grill-less fascia is the common brand identity across the S, X, and 3. That would probably add to the desirability of this car, if for no other reason than because it would look like it is brand new.

If you’ve got other Tesla’s lying around with spare parts you should also swap in the updated front fascia. A lot of people like the new look better, especially now that the grill-less fascia is the common brand identity across the S, X, and 3. That would probably add to the desirability of this car, if for no other reason than because it would look like it is brand new.

Retrofitting the official front fascia is a bit more of a challenge than it's worth, in my opinion. So many part changes. Plus, would need to relocate the radar, redo that calibration, etc.

950 HP P100D+
Just signed up to reply to this one - it will probably be difficult to sell the old P90++ for anything close to what you’re asking as it doesn’t beat a P100DL.
However, if you’re sure you can built a P100D+ with 950 HP, do a Kickstarter asking $250K+ ($500K perhaps) for it, that you will find a buyer for.

Would you be interested in selling a how to

I think it's pretty straight forward:
1) Become a computer guru.
2) Become a mechanical guru.
3) Purchase a pre-autopilot Model S.
* Note steps 1-3 can be completed in any order.
4) Purchase salvage autopilot V1 Model S.
5) Replace center screen, information cluster, wiring harnesses, bumper covers, rearview mirror with parts from salvage Model S.
6) Rewrite and install firmware.
7) Purchase salvage PxxD Model S.
8) Replace drive unit, traction battery, center console and information cluster with parts from salvage PxxD Model S.
9) Create module to simulate front motor.
10) Rewrite and install firmware.

Sorry to give away secrets, but am I close?

As it has been pointed out by the posters above (in a fun manner, no less)..... no, I'm not going to do any how-to for this, either.

Personally, I think someone needs to start a real Tesla tuning company. I’m tired of “unplugged performance” and all these companies who make nothing but body kits and have no real performance upgrades. Every driver’s car made in the last 50 years has had a plethora of performance upgrades for it including ECU tunes, suspension, etc. So far Saleen is the only one to have come close to this and they didn’t even tune the motor at all.

Why not start a little side business tuning P-whatever-Ds? I bet there’s more than one Model S owner (and soon to be Model 3 owners) who would fork over a few grand for some performance gains.

Personally, I think someone needs to start a real Tesla tuning company. I’m tired of “unplugged performance” and all these companies who make nothing but body kits and have no real performance upgrades. Every driver’s car made in the last 50 years has had a plethora of performance upgrades for it including ECU tunes, suspension, etc. So far Saleen is the only one to have come close to this and they didn’t even tune the motor at all.

Why not start a little side business tuning P-whatever-Ds? I bet there’s more than one Model S owner (and soon to be Model 3 owners) who would fork over a few grand for some performance gains.

The main issue is that anything to increase performance in a Tesla will require much more than a "few grand". To put things in perspective, the parts alone required to move from P85->P90++ are well over $40,000... not counting any labor or including any profit margin. Granted, some things can potentially be reduced in net cost later by reselling some old components, but there's not a huge market there, so I personally wouldn't want to get in the hole on such a thing.

There's also the loss of warranty aspects and Tesla's ridiculous policies around modifications in general.

Overall, I don't think there are many people who would fork over the money to do these upgrades... not to the lower end cars anyway. These aren't Honda Civics where you can slap a K&N filter on it with a new intake and call it tuned. lol.

Now, when/if I have a product to increase the performance of the P100D by 25%... that'll probably sell. :cool:

TRC folks "tuned" their P100DL in probably the only way to tune these cars anymore -- by losing weight. taking out the interior etx.

not much else to do, especially if you desire to stay on the Tesla mother ship grid.

am I correct that this car is completely off grid? no updates from tesla? if you drove it to telsa SC for something, what wld they do?

TRC folks "tuned" their P100DL in probably the only way to tune these cars anymore -- by losing weight. taking out the interior etx.

not much else to do, especially if you desire to stay on the Tesla mother ship grid.

am I correct that this car is completely off grid? no updates from tesla? if you drove it to telsa SC for something, what wld they do?

Read the first post of this thread he clearly answers all your questions.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark and MP3Mike
I read it originally. its long. life is short. skimmed again and didn't see the answer to on grid. shrug.

From the first post:

Some caveats go with the modifications.

First, which should be obvious, this car is past its 50,000 mile warranty already. Also, the battery and drive unit are modified and thus no longer covered under warranty by Tesla. Therefore, there is absolutely no remaining Tesla warranty on this car. See my note below about a personal warranty on the battery pack.

The car is still serviceable by Tesla, however, at the owner’s expense. They have not blacklisted the car due to the modifications, thankfully The normal Tesla mobile app works normally, it has LTE connectivity from Tesla, free supercharging, etc.

Also, the car’s firmware is locked to an early version of v8.0. Specifically, the final beta/EAP version v8.0 (103.53.1). Since the firmware has been modified, the performance enhancements I’ve done would have to be disabled entirely (reverting the car back to a normal P85) in order to update the firmware, as well as modifying and applying all of my modifications to the newer firmware. So, this car will not receive any further firmware updates. Fortunately, there hasn’t been anything of note, in my opinion, released since this version that would make upgrading enticing.

Finally, the systems on this car are, obviously, hacked/rooted. Access to the onboard internal diagnostics screens and settings are available, among other things. The car is also currently connected to my personal network, and can remain connected indefinitely (if desired) to facilitate more advanced remote features and stats via my own little web app. I’m also willing to provide some ongoing support and assistance with this car personally, within reason, should the buyer desire it to remain on my network.

As it has been pointed out by the posters above (in a fun manner, no less)..... no, I'm not going to do any how-to for this, either.

Why not.???

Soon there will be lots of older Model S 85's coming off their 8 year warranty. I'm one. I'd like to know how to swap batteries and drive units. I could physically do the labor but I don't have the smarts required to do the computer part.

I'd get a used P85 unit and a new or salvage battery pack and start from there.

Why don't you sell a kit with everything needed to start hacking the software and make these parts go together.????