Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S P90++ - UNIQUE: Most powerful RWD Tesla in the world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think part of the scoffing along those lines stems from a misunderstanding over the depth of the performance modifications to the vehicle.

From opportunity cost perspective, the asking price seems strange. I can get a quicker, new P100D for less than $140K. Why would anyone pay anywhere near that for a P90 which has been tinkered with, and which has lots of miles on it? I cannot wrap my head around that, do you mean it's a collectible or smth and gets its value from there?

From opportunity cost perspective, the asking price seems strange. I can get a quicker, new P100D for less than $140K. Why would anyone pay anywhere near that for a P90 which has been tinkered with, and which has lots of miles on it? I cannot wrap my head around that, do you mean it's a collectible or smth and gets its value from there?
If this is Model S with Serial No1. it might be worth that asking price...my 2 cents

Reactions: Bebop

The new car is dual motor, This car is rear only. Some people value RWD more than AWD. I can't argue that point strongly as I don't have a preference but I think it's clear that is the reason for the value placed on it.

There are also those that value AP1 over AP2 and this car offers a fixed software state for someone that is tired of regular updates/regression issues it could be an additional plus.

You can't buy a new Tesla that is RWD that equates to what this car can do.

You can buy a new Tesla that is AWD that surpasses it in some ways but it's an apples to oranges comparison (both in handling and AP1 vs AP2).

Reactions: wk057
Simple, full size frunk.

Did I have the opportunity to stand, mouth agape, next to this car , at a SpC, when it had SUN FLWR (I think) plates? Awesome! If I had the cash I wouldn't blink. Sadly, it's the next step up from my original Tesla dream. But dreams keep us alive.

I only recently changed the plate. "SUN FLWR" was a play on the whole yellow and solar powered thing, but...... honestly it just didn't fit with the ridiculousness of this car. The new one seems to fit better. The car's name is also "King Bob!!!"

Also, glad you got to check it out. :)

---

So, today I was working on a newer salvage car with only ~700 miles on it ... a 90D. A quick check showed that pack to be in slightly better health than the one in this car by about 3 kWh. So, I snagged the newer pack for this car and made the swap.

The P90++ now has a battery pack that's nearly brand new and less than 1000 miles and less than 10 cycles on it. 100% charge should increase about 10 miles, too. Yay!

The car has been rooted and comes without bloatware...

Reactions: wk057
So, looks like I'm likely going to head over to Farmington Dragway tonight (1/8th mile drag strip) with the P90++ and a P100D AP2.0 X. Probably get there a little while after Test-and-Tune starts, maybe 6:30P or so.

If anyone happens to be in the area, feel free to drop by and check out the car. This is kind of a spur of the moment thing, but I'll try to get some videos. :)

Also, I added a few pics to the dropbox album... Dropbox - P28615

Can hardly wait to see what you can do with the P100D. That car, modified by you, would be off interest to me.

Always enjoy reading about your Tesla projects. Given that I am fairly computer illiterate I can only live vicariously through you/your projects.

:)

Got a few 1/8th mile runs in last night at Farmington.

Best 1/8th mile time was 7.65s. Best trap speed 93.8 MPH. This was at below 80% SoC, also, as I drove about 60 miles to the track from home and didn't have time to stop somewhere close by to top off before heading over. I guess I'll have to trailer it down with 100% charge, then use 120V there to top it completely off after Max Battery Power.

I ran this car a couple of years ago as an unmodified P85 at ~95% SoC. At that time, the car was running pretty consistently, with a best of 8.170s @ 87.621 MPH. So, shaved over 0.52s off of the 1/8th mile time without even having a full battery this time.

The Model X P100D at the track only had 60% SoC, but was still running 7.49s. At this point it's only advantage was at launch/60' time, and then the P90++ would stay with it the rest of the way down the track. Trap speeds were similar. Not apples to apples, but still fun. With 100% charge the P100D would definitely win more easily.

Was a spur of the moment trip yesterday, so didn't really have anything setup to do logging or anything, but I kept an eye on the CAN tab in dev mode a bit. At the highest SoC run I did, max power was showing at about 38kW (50 HP!) below what I know is possible at around 100% charge, like on my dyno run. So, pretty sure could shave a good amount more off of the time.

ESP2 traction control worked great, too. Torque was laid down as fast as possible. My absolute best time with the P85D at this track was like 7.35s @ 95 MPH at nearly 100% charge... and the P90++ is coming in only about two tenths behind it at roughly the same speed with only the rear motor, thinner tires in the rear (running 245s still), and under 80% SoC. My earlier vbox data already showed the P90++ would whoop the P85D in the 1/4 for sure, and be damn close in the 1/8th (at 100% SoC). Really the 60 ft time torque ramp period is where the P85D gets its jump, obviously.

Anyway, was a fun night even though I wasn't doing everything needed to get the best performance, I'm still happy with the results.

2017-09-29 20.31.18-crop.jpg

I'll post some slips and videos later on.

Edit:
Here's one of the slips I snapped a picture of at the track:
2017-09-29 21.28.45-crop.jpg

Found an old time slip pic from a couple of years ago. P85D vs this car as a P85 before any mods. P85 on right, obviously.

2015-04-18 14.20.48-crop-1080.jpg

So 60' improved by 0.109s, 330 ft improved by 0.3394s, 1/8th improved by 0.5318s, and trap improved by 6.215 MPH comparing these runs.

I really need to go back before the end of the season with 100% charge...