Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 Pack Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think they could have reverted chemistry as the chemistry change is what gave the pack the additional capacity.

From what I gathered in my conversation with the service center the flex part of the pack allows it to alter the amount of current it allows to be drawn based on the configuration of the car. This is why @wk057 had to fake the system out by putting in the fake front DU to allow the current to be output by the battery and used by the rear DU.

I'm interested in the "Flex pack" designation that was mentioned. I'd like to know more about that. If it truly is a different pack than a "standard" V3, maybe the chemistry is back to the 85 pack chemistry.

Flex packs were introduced shortly after Tesla began producing dual motors. It just relates to the pack enclosure and means it will work in either a dual or RWD vehicle.

@tyson what is the maximum current draw supported?

Yep, the avatar says 90 and I think that is what for the most part anyway the car thinks it is. I did do some quick wide open throttle pushes on the way home and the display indicated ~320kW of draw during those times which is in line with where it was before and we'll over what a straight RWD 85 or 90 would pull.

I am in Raleigh so maybe if I can find time I will make a road trip to your shop @wk057. Maybe you can see what they did.
Battery is a 1088790-00-A if that helps at all.

Well, don't go out of your way, but if you're ever in the area give me a heads up and we'll take a look.

• Helpful
Reactions: BigD0g
Flex packs were introduced shortly after Tesla began producing dual motors. It just relates to the pack enclosure and means it will work in either a dual or RWD vehicle.

@tyson what is the maximum current draw supported?
I haven't been able to find any numbers for that particular pack, but if it's a v3 then I would imagine that it be in line with a non ludacris 90 pack. I still need to get a diag cable built so that I can see what it is really pulling at it's max in the current config.

I'm getting my late 2013 P85 pack replaced too with a 90. I should ask them if they are going to rebadge. They did say the same where avatar will show 90 and not P90, but assured me performance would be the same. Supposed to happen this upcoming Monday as the pack arrived today at the service center.

65k on original battery pack.

Hopefully the new pack holds up.

If this is going to become a norm, I think those of you who got this "upgrade" should pass a long a suggestion to Tesla to update the software to give you guys a P90 badge in the UI and on the app.

It really doesn't take much effort on their part to update a few values...

If this is going to become a norm, I think those of you who got this "upgrade" should pass a long a suggestion to Tesla to update the software to give you guys a P90 badge in the UI and on the app.

It really doesn't take much effort on their part to update a few values...
I agree and will see what they say.

@JonMc can you help out with this? While I know those of us who got this upgrade are grateful for it and having the larger pack size it does present an inconsistent story when reselling the car. Most times the software is seen as the go to for determining what model a vehicle really is. Having that be consistent with the P90 badging would be very helpful. Any removal of the P to a straight 90 could be detrimental as the 90 was much slower to 60MPH than the P85. Obviously this doesn't affect the actual performance but let's face it books ARE judged by their covers, in this case badge work and avatar.

Reactions: Don TLR and xborg
For sure I don't have any sources for this, but this is what Telsa claims, and what EM often repeats. Don't take my word for it :). If it isn't true, then I'm glad we're all still covered for a number of years. By then they'll surely have improved the drive unit reliability.
From what I heard the Q type revision drive units are more reliable and durable than the previous versions. I heard of people with 7 DU replacements, once the Q revision came in all wes smooth afterwards. My car had replacements at 15000km and 145000km, so that previous one (not a Q version) went on for 130000km.
I believe the Q versions are non-performance, performance versions are P revision.

So not to Necro this thread but I had to have my DC-DC converter and the heater replaced and just got the car back and it now has P90 avatar graphics everywhere but the app now! IMG_20180320_170044.jpg

A friend of mine here in Hong Kong had to get a new battery pack replacement, however he wasn't as lucky as you, he got a brand new 85 pack instead.

I have read several other posts on here where others with failed 75/85 packs have been getting 2017 manufactured A packs as replacements as well.

So I suppose this 90 pack thing is not yet a common thing or that failure is common enough they started making the 85 pack again.

But it does make me wonder... 90 pack as replacement must still be common enough for them to update the firmware to show proper badging tho...

I am assuming while you were getting serviced they updated your firmware.

Last edited:
Replacing a 75 pack with an 85A actually makes a lot of sense... the throttled charging compared to later packs wouldn't be an issue, since you already had a "throttled" pack with the 75 anyway... so nothing lost there.