Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Crew,

Looking for some feedback.

Based out of Vancouver Canada and have a P85 Signature Series. I received a warning message (which meant connectors were failing) I promptly made a service appointment via the app to take the car into the garage, and the car was driving fine. I dropped into service and when techs diagnosed they torqued a screw which goes through the 85kwh battery and it broke off. I did not give approval on an estimate or to work on the car, just diagnose. Now they can't access the connectors to fix the issue and they can't tap the screw since it goes through the battery pack.

I repeat I did not give the ok to work on the car, just diagnose the problem. Now they're saying the car is not able to drive and I need to buy a new 85kwh battery for 20k(Canadian) Shouldn't this be covered under this Tesla Service
Stations garage keepers insurance?

Car prior to this was probably worth 35-40K Canadian, maybe higher if collector as it has only 60,000 miles and I believe only a 1,000 signatures were made.

Now I have a bit of a boat anchor and I was just about to sell and move into my Rivian. I see my options are as follows:

1. File claim with my insurance company who will work on my behalf and then file claim against the Tesla service center.
2. Replace the battery with Service Centre for 20K and sell car for 35-40K Canadian since it has new battery and 4 year warranty.
3. Walk and sell car as-is for 10-15k and use 20k for my new R1T
4. Any options I am not thinking of?

Love my OG P85, still felt like a brand-new car until this happens. I was pushing off Tesla to Rivian only because I adventure and tow stuff.

Thanks to anyone who has had a similar issue and provides feedback or provides a potentially different idea/option🙏

Hi KingSize,

I recently bought a 2012 P85 Signature in Vancouver and the battery failed the day after I bought it. Do you know what the exact error code is? If it is BMS_u029/BMS_u018 there's a facebook support group here: Tesla BMS_u029/BMS_u018 | Facebook

If it turns out that is what it is I'm happy to take you through all the options I've discovered and the associated costs from Vancouver.

I'm really sorry this happened to you :(

Reactions: NV Ray
Oh it looks like based on this post its not that:

Regardless there are a couple of options for battery replacement that aren't directly from Tesla. The most economical I found was recell but that assumes you can get the car down to Washington. Locally there is Factor-e as well as a gentleman out in Kamloops that does battery swaps.

Oh it looks like based on this post its not that:

Regardless there are a couple of options for battery replacement that aren't directly from Tesla. The most economical I found was recell but that assumes you can get the car down to Washington. Locally there is Factor-e as well as a gentleman out in Kamloops that does battery swaps.
Kamloops vendor? Tesla Repair and Modifications

as a 2012 Sig owner - these cars are not collectors items nor is there a premium for the early build.. in fact, it's the opposite due to the amount of improvements over the years. A new battery does not increase the resale value by more than a few thousand...
The issue OP is having though is related to the service center possibly damaging the battery. Get your insurance involved after you discuss with the local SC manager

as a 2012 Sig owner - these cars are not collectors items nor is there a premium for the early build.. in fact, it's the opposite due to the amount of improvements over the years. A new battery does not increase the resale value by more than a few thousand...
The issue OP is having though is related to the service center possibly damaging the battery. Get your insurance involved after you discuss with the local SC manager
What are your collector thoughts on 2012 Founders?

I sold my Sig 791 autographed by Elon on the passenger visor because professional collectors said the car would not be "collectable in my lifetime" (next 15-20 years). Now I wish I had kept it but the maintenance, insurance and storage does add up! (I kept the autographed visor though!!!!)

Attachments

• IMG_7074_08-02-17_092030.JPG
    IMG_7074_08-02-17_092030.JPG
    560.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Elon Autograph.jpg
    Elon Autograph.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 54
Rich had the exact problem come to his shop. $5 fix. They wanted 12k. Take it somewhere else. Get a wreaker to get it, take it home and figure it out.
Now to replacement pack. My pack failed one month before warranty. They replaced with ""refurbished "" pack. Quote, ""even if u buy replacement pack, u get refurbished 85 pack"". 4 yr warranty, 12k. What will be range?? 225. WTF??? Why not 265?
I just walked out.
Do ur research, there are god reliable fixes. Keep ur car. I've upgrade brakes, bought infotainment upgrade, replaced all door handles, window motors. 217k miles and good. Even with buying new pack, still cheaper than 110k new one, without free super charging.
Good luck

If the problem is corrosion related then the insurance company will probably not help.
Have the car inspected, if there's no other problems then hire a lawyer.
The batteries age out with no relation to mileage so it didn't have long to go.
If you can't find an independent EV shop nearby then check with the general motors dealer.