Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 x EV and no offstreet parking - about to find out how it’s done 😄

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 50 days with no garage, we finally have it back, after our new and very sexy looking sectional door was finally installed yesterday.

This was an interesting experiment to go through, given a growing number of people need to solely rely on public charging, to find out what it’s like. As promised I have some stats:

Tesla
  • 14 public charges over the 50 days
    • 9 x Evie
    • 3 x Supercharges
    • 2 x BP Pulse
  • Total cost $286 for 502 kWh
  • Distance covered 3200 km so about 9c/km.
  • So even exclusively on public charging, running the Tesla still cost about half what it would cost to run a comparably sized ICE vehicle per km.
Leaf
  • 2 public and 6 private charges over the 50 days
    • both public charges at Evie sites
    • the free AC charges were at my workplace, once I had my Type 2 to Type 1 adaptor
  • Total cost $8 for 55 kWh
  • Distance covered 390 km so about 2c/km thanks to all the free charges

So you can see why I let my wife have the Tesla 😄. Her routine would have been impossible in the LEAF, it would have required charging every single day (no workplace charging where she is) and been massively inconvenient.

For us, the key takeaway was that relying exclusively on public charging was not too inconvenient once we found charging options that dovetailed well with our existing routines. For my wife, it was charging while shopping, hence DCFCs at shopping centres were the winner. For me, it was being able to use workplace AC charging.

So it was “fun” while it lasted, but it is very nice to be able to charge at home again!

Great you again have a garage door. 50 days is very, very long. Ours (over 30 yrs old) died during Covid and the new one was operational in 14 days.

We could have had a new roller door in 2 weeks. Sectional doors are way more complicated to make. Then the installer stuffed up not having the right equipment to remove the old door, adding another week. Very happy we went for the sectional door - it looks fantastic.

Does the app also let you know that charging has stopped so if you are away from your car you can scoot back?

The Evie App advised me that ”Charging has completed” when it happened to me. But there was nothing I could do about it except return to the car since the LEAF has no App to remotely restart charging. I could have restarted the session back at the car but couldn’t be bothered and let the black Tesla have its way. The associated Evie receipt indicated the “End reason” for the session was “EV Disconnected”.