Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to 2 garages and they both said "We won't touch that thing!" Finally I found a place with a special machine made for low-aspect ratio tires on alloy rims. And they let me jack my own car, and use calibrated torque wrenches instead of air. They took pride in knowing they were the only shop I would use. Ironically they scratched my rims anyway on the balancer (but took responsibility and paid to fix it). Like Eric said, don't trust anybody. And make sure they know you're watching. Take pics of your rims before you go in.

Nearly everyone who has taken a wheel off my Roadster has put at least one scratch on at least one of the wheels. This includes Tesla technicians, but I believe they have the best record of scratching the least. It's one downside of the black wheels. I have enough scratches that I'll probably look into getting them all fixed soon. I can't believe that almost no one can remove and replace a wheel without scratching the wheel with the wrench.

My car is there right now (annual service). They're trying to sell me a new set of rear tires for $1000, warning me not to have any other shop do it or I'll end up getting scratches.

The tires are $300 each I think and they charge $50 to install them (around that). Not sure where they are getting the $1,000 from. If your car is already there it's worth having them just do it but I'd talk about the price.

Scratches could be an issue. I get mine changed by a garage owned by a neighbour, and I stand there watching while they do it. They're very careful, but they have commented on how the machine they have just barely accomodates my rims. They have to take extra care because of that.

I was rounding up. Their exact price is $965, but after the California tire disposal fee and California sales tax I'd be looking at $1000.
As much as a ripoff as that is I think I'd probably pay it if I liked the tires. I hate the tires. I asked them if I could bring my own tires and pay them to install them. They said no.

At that price tires are going to end up costing you as much as a new battery pack over the first 100,000 miles or so assuming rear tire replacement is needed every 5,000 miles! I was quoted $900 for the rear tires including installation from the Tesla Tokyo dealership, so not quite as bad as your case but just about. They will install tires I have shipped to them for around $60 per tire, however, which is why I decided to put Toyo DRBs on the rears for around $110 each.

I just ordered AD08's for the shop repairing my Roadster (from my accident) to install ... They're replacing the winter Hankook's so commenting on them will be hard (I've forgotten how the AD07's were at this point) but I'll post my observations after I get the car back (ETA is 4/5/12). $199 ea. at Tire Rack

I just ordered AD08's for the shop repairing my Roadster (from my accident) to install ... They're replacing the winter Hankook's so commenting on them will be hard (I've forgotten how the AD07's were at this point) but I'll post my observations after I get the car back (ETA is 4/5/12). $199 ea. at Tire Rack

What are you putting on the front? the AD08 doesn't have a front fitment listed at tire rack...

The tires are $300 each I think and they charge $50 to install them (around that).

Ranger is here, doing mine as I write, $300 each. (Not sure what the install cost will be but he was here for something else). Great Tesla service - The Ranger found a good local tire shop, removed my wheels, has taken them over there to supervise the fitting, then will bring them back here and fix back on my car.

P.S. I did opt to put AD07's back on. Ranger tells me he typically replaces 3 or 4 sets of rear to every set of front.

P.P.S. I looked up the price for AD07's and local shops could get them for best price of $345 plus shipping.

Last edited:
Replacing Tires

I had the Toyo tires put on the rear at 8k. I drove the car into the service area, changed into ragged shorts and t-shirt and "hands on" insured that the floor jack was in the exact proper location. I stood there the entire time. When it was done, I changed back into clean shorts and t-shirt (that's pretty much all I wear) and drove the car out of the service area.

I did notice a significant difference in the noise level with the new tires, but I can't begin to honestly compare the noise level between new Toyo and new 07s.

I am looking to replace my rear AD07's as well, and I was planning on the AD08 from Yokohama. Is there any downside anyone can think of if I put on new AD08 rather than new AD07. The AD08's look like they might wear better and are less expensive.
Thanks.

I am looking to replace my rear AD07's as well, and I was planning on the AD08 from Yokohama. Is there any downside anyone can think of if I put on new AD08 rather than new AD07. The AD08's look like they might wear better and are less expensive.
Thanks.

A while back my Ranger recommended using the same rubber front and back, because "the tires might have different thermal expansion characteristics and that could confuse the traction control system". But I was asking about possibly mixing Toyo and Yokohama. In this case we're talking about the "new" version of the same tires (AD08 replaces AD07), and the construction and materials should be reasonably similar.

Also I know someone who is running his Lotus Elise with that very combination, and he says it works great.

AD08 are supposed to have superior wear, which is a big plus in my books.

Had a local tire shop recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S as a replacement for the rear Pirelli all-seasons that are on there now.

I noticed a few other people on this thread had mentioned them as well. Any thoughts after some time with the Michelins?