Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Turbine Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent a few hours last night doing extensive research about the impact of changes in wheel offset. The offset of the Lugano wheels is +32mm. Stock is +40mm. That means the center line of the wheels is pushed out 8mm. That widens the stance of the car about .6 overall, .3 inches on each side. Every source I checked indicated that this kind of change was too small to be concerned about.

In any case, wheel offset does not affect camber and caster, so the alignment does not have to be changed. Scrub radius is affected, but, again, the change is minor and not of concern. If anything, the handling will be improved slightly by the wider stance. The minor change in scrub radius may impact the longevity of the tires, but again not by much. There may be some unpredictable impact on the wheel bearings but given the small change probably not an issue.

I spent a few hours last night doing extensive research about the impact of changes in wheel offset. The offset of the Lugano wheels is +32mm. Stock is +40mm. That means the center line of the wheels is pushed out 8mm. That widens the stance of the car about .6 overall, .3 inches on each side. Every source I checked indicated that this kind of change was too small to be concerned about.

In any case, wheel offset does not affect camber and caster, so the alignment does not have to be changed. Scrub radius is affected, but, again, the change is minor and not of concern. If anything, the handling will be improved slightly by the wider stance. The minor league change in scrub radius may impact the longevity of the tires, but again not by much. There may be some unpredictable impact on the wheel bearings but given the small change probably not an issue.

@artsci- That is consistent with what I found before making this purchase. It is worth noting that if you look on Tirerack.com, you will see that the company currently offers thirty-four 19" wheels for Model S. The site doesn't list the offsets for every one of those wheels, but those that are listed range from 28mm to 40mm. Only three of the wheels have an offset of 40mm. Seven have an offset of 32mm. I don't think this is a big issue, but I will be able to offer some real-world observations soon.

It looks very nice! and the silver rims are made for salty roads.
@ jerry33, I think the Rials 32mm offset, will not harm the wheel bearing loading. But the handling of the car can/will be another concern if you are a skilled driver.

Rule of thumb is that 1" (24.4 mm) difference in wheel offset is like adding 1000 lb. (450 kg) to the axle. Note that that's both sides so 1/2" (12.3 mm) per wheel.

Last edited:
Rule of thumb is that 1" (24.5 mm) difference in wheel offset is like adding 1000 lb. (450 kg) to the axle. Note that that's both sides so 1/2" (12.3 mm) per wheel.

Forgive my ignorance, but is this the same if the offset is less or also more than OEM? Is the impact similar with a 36 mm offset and a 44 mm offset if OEM is 40 mm? Is one worse than the other? Is more so bad it cant be done and thus no offerings from Tire Rack? I know very little about this.

Cheers

Forgive my ignorance, but is this the same if the offset is less or also more than OEM?

Usually the different offset pushes the tire out (more) rather than brings it in (less) and that's what the rule of thumb covers. Less often causes the tires to rub on the inner fenders or suspension parts so it's not done nearly as often. More can cause rubbing on the outer fenders but that's typically taken care of by "field engineering"--not that I would ever do that to a Tesla.

The choices offered by Tirerack.com probably have more to do with what sells rather than engineering principles.

A 4 mm difference isn't likely to affect bearing life (except perhaps in track usage--but you're going to have more wear in track usage anyway)

Very nice. I like the slightly curved blades, and the color looks more like a metallic silver than a painted one (as on the 21" wheels).

Thanks. You are correct about the color.

- - - Updated - - -

@rogbmw

The centerbore on Model S is 64mm, and it is 72.6mm on the the Lugano wheels. Tunershop provided the proper sized hub-centric rings so the wheels fit perfectly.

It sounds like you know the difference between hub-centric and lug-centric, but for those who are not as familiar, here is a helpful article:
http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_wheels/a/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric-wheels.htm

Is it true that you need the Tesla to reset the TPMS sensors every single time the rims are placed on the car? My parent just had 19" winter wheels placed on (bought from Tesla) and were told when then put the 21" wheels back on in the summer that Tesla would have to come back out to reprogram the rims. Not sure why they didn't make the auto-learn tires that had already been paired to the car.

@dsm363. The information your parents received is correct -- the TPMS sensors have to be reset every time the rims are changed. Even though Tesla installed and tested the TPMS on my winter wheels/tires before delivering them to me, the TPMS warning went off after I had the winter wheels installed yesterday. The service center advises that a ranger can perform the reset, and they are going to dispatch someone after the holiday weekend is over.

@dsm363. The information your parents received is correct -- the TPMS sensors have to be reset every time the rims are changed. Even though Tesla installed and tested the TPMS on my winter wheels/tires before delivering them to me, the TPMS warning went off after I had the winter wheels installed yesterday. The service center advises that a ranger can perform the reset, and they are going to dispatch someone after the holiday weekend is over.

Thanks for the confirmation on that! I can see how having to have a Ranger come out twice a year to swap tires would be a pain for them and the owners so hopefully, it is something they work on in the future at least to make this unnecessary.

It looks like the tool to program it yourself is $500 so that would be worth 5 tire swaps ($100 Ranger fee) I guess.
TM Bulletin Board Response to Why No Perf Credit for 19 Wheels? - Page 4

I like it! I like the 21' rims Tesla offers, but there too expensive and not practical (for me anyway). I don't like the smaller rims either, so I was happy to see this post! Can you post a zoomed out picture so we can see how it impacts the entire look of the entire car?

Good find!

Still need a TPMS tool, huh? Luckily I'm planning to go for the "anywhere service" plan. That makes it easy. Change wheels and call for Ranger service to fix the TPMS.

LOL... 800 km round trip twice a year to reset TMPS. Might be cheaper for them if they just GAVE me the tool. :tongue:

Still need a TPMS tool, huh? Luckily I'm planning to go for the "anywhere service" plan. That makes it easy. Change wheels and call for Ranger service to fix the TPMS.

LOL... 800 km round trip twice a year to reset TMPS. Might be cheaper for them if they just GAVE me the tool. :tongue:

Exactly! Is this a software thing or a hardware thing meaning is there anyway they could fix this in software or will you always need the tool to fix this problem?

I definitely want these 19 in wheels. Are you fitting the stock tesla tires on these?
from my Samsung galaxy s3

Yes. Tesla mounted the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II winter tires on these rim, which is TM's standard stud less winter tire. As Artsci points out, there are many tire option for these wheels, including all the TM stock tires.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that this makes the anywhere service plan more attractive. If there is software fix, TM would be well served to implement it.