Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Tire options: Continental vs Michelin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did the exact same thing. On my 2021 MYLR I replaced the OEM Continentals with Extreme Contact DWS06+ 3 days ago. I will keep you posted on my wh/mile change. I had 21K miles on the OEM tires and the wh/mi over this period was 270, exactly like yours. So far I have only about 30 miles on the DWS06+ and am at 280 wh/mi.

The main reason I went with Continental again is because Continental offered me 50% off since my OEM tires were worn out after only 21K miles.

Same story here. I read this forum and learned about 50% off. My OE tires were at 5/32 after 20k miles but I got a puncture near the sidewall of one tire. I contacted continental and still got 50% off (which isn’t exactly 50% when redeemed via America’s Tire or Tirerack, more like 40% of the before tax price). The DWS06+ has a better ride quality, and I’m sure wet and snow performance would be way better. But my efficiency went down the drain. Before I was averaging 260 local, 300 highway, now it’s 300 local and 360 highway. This is just after 150 miles with new tires. Will see how they “break in”.

Without the credit, my choice would be Pirelli P7 AS PLUS 3 (LRR and better snow performance, really?) or Vredenstein.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk
Same story here. I read this forum and learned about 50% off. My OE tires were at 5/32 after 20k miles but I got a puncture near the sidewall of one tire. I contacted continental and still got 50% off (which isn’t exactly 50% when redeemed via America’s Tire or Tirerack, more like 40% of the before tax price). The DWS06+ has a better ride quality, and I’m sure wet and snow performance would be way better. But my efficiency went down the drain. Before I was averaging 260 local, 300 highway, now it’s 300 local and 360 highway. This is just after 150 miles with new tires. Will see how they “break in”.

Without the credit, my choice would be Pirelli P7 AS PLUS 3 (LRR and better snow performance, really?) or Vredenstein.
I'm sorry to hear about the increased consumption. I had thought about those as they look like a great 4 season tire. When researched it I found that a 10-12% reduction in range should be expected.

I'm really happy to see a lot of tire makers come out with true EV tires. The DWS06 is an ultra high performance all season. It's the classic more grip = more rolling resistance scenario.

I ultimately went with the OE Continental Pro Contact RX but for some it may be worth the sacrifice in range to have a true 4 season tire.

Does your wh/mi drop further?
Yes, it has dropped further, I am at about 310 wh/mi now, but it is also Winter and temperature makes a difference.
Of course I would like to get 270 wh/mi like my OEM tires had, but I want tires that grip the road too.

At present I have mixed feelings about long range, low rolling resistance (LRR) tires. I cannot imagine how they can reduce the resistance to rolling without also reducing grip. I hope to learn more about this by the next time I need tires.

Reactions: generalmilk
Yes, it has dropped further, I am at about 310 wh/mi now, but it is also Winter and temperature makes a difference.
Of course I would like to get 270 wh/mi like my OEM tires had, but I want tires that grip the road too.

At present I have mixed feelings about long range, low rolling resistance (LRR) tires. I cannot imagine how they can reduce the resistance to rolling without also reducing grip. I hope to learn more about this by the next time I need tires.

I see. I live in SF Bay Area, in the last few years 95% of the time I drove in dry road with mild climate, occasionally makes a few winter trips to Tahoe but I tried to avoid big snow storms as much as I could. OE tires been fine to me and the efficiency was exceptional. This year has been extra wet, the new tires do give me much better confidence, but I’m still wondering if it is the right choice in my limited use case.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I want to take advantage of the warranty claim on the Conti procontacts but I wasn't planning on replacing them with continentals. I assume the warranty credit only applies to a new set of Continental tires?

I have been considering an all-weather replacement that is severe snow rated like the Michelin crossclimate or Vredestein quatrac pros. I've even considered an A/T option like the Falken wildpeaks but obviously, none of these tires are continentals

I want to take advantage of the warranty claim on the Conti procontacts but I wasn't planning on replacing them with continentals. I assume the warranty credit only applies to a new set of Continental tires?
I assume so but it can't hurt to ask. I don't think it's a warranty though, more like a good faith gesture. When I called Continental to explain how fast my OEM ProContacts wore out they initially said there was nothing they could do about it since OEM tires have no mileage warranty. So I asked if considering the premature wear they could give me a deal if I bought a new set and they said sure and instructed me to go to have the tires inspected at an authorized shop. I never expected 50% off and was pleasantly surprised.

I assume so but it can't hurt to ask. I don't think it's a warranty though, more like a good faith gesture. When I called Continental to explain how fast my OEM ProContacts wore out they initially said there was nothing they could do about it since OEM tires have no mileage warranty. So I asked if considering the premature wear they could give me a deal if I bought a new set and they said sure and instructed me to go to have the tires inspected at an authorized shop. I never expected 50% off and was pleasantly surprised.
Yea, I know that technically OEM tires don't qualify for the warranty but have seen many stories of (mostly Michelin) honoring it still. Since the tires are usually being inspected by a place like Discount Tire, I wasn't sure if they would allow the credit to be used towards another manufacturer but I doubt it

I'm sorry to hear about the increased consumption. I had thought about those as they look like a great 4 season tire. When researched it I found that a 10-12% reduction in range should be expected.

I'm really happy to see a lot of tire makers come out with true EV tires. The DWS06 is an ultra high performance all season. It's the classic more grip = more rolling resistance scenario.

I ultimately went with the OE Continental Pro Contact RX but for some it may be worth the sacrifice in range to have a true 4 season tire.
Goodyear’s EV tires have very few reviews, one person on this forum reported terrible efficiency, not sure what’s going on with them.

I have been considering an all-weather replacement that is severe snow rated like the Michelin crossclimate or Vredestein quatrac pros. I've even considered an A/T option like the Falken wildpeaks but obviously, none of these tires are continentals

It only works on continental.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Surprise surprise! Took a look after wife drove the car, 255wh/mi! That’s from picking up kid from school. That’s close to what I got on the same drive before I changed the tires. Then again she might usually do 23x before, I don’t know… I will do the same drive tomorrow so let’s see…

The result is out. This morning same drive, I end up with 296…. This is I tried my best to feathering the pedal.

One big difference I noticed is the road is wet today(also windy). The other day I got 360 on highway was also wet. I knew wet road is efficiency killer but it was not this severe with the OE tires. Maybe this is a testament on how good the DWS is on wet road? I’m ok with this. Guess I need to wait until the rain season stops.

Today’s round trip from San Bruno to Berkeley, outbound 238wh/mi (27mi, downhill and tailwind), return trip 305wh/mi, 25mi. Average 270wh/mi. Heavy traffic so speed is EV friendly. Driver profile is FSD beta average, not the most efficient driver on utilizing regen. Road is 70% dry, 30% wet.

My previous tires should average at most 250 on today’s trip, but 270 is not bad.

BTW, the drive back from kid’s school with beta this afternoon got me 324wh/mi… wife got 255 yesterday and I got 296 this morning. On old tires it should be 240-270 with beta. The efficiency on this particular trip does not make sense to me anymore.

Makes sense to me. I don't see how one could reduce rolling resistance without also reducing traction. I mean, traction is resistance - though resistance to slipping, not rolling. Maybe it's a dynamic friction vs static friction balance? In any event, I'm not surprised these DWS06+ have more rolling resistance, as they seem to really "stick" to the road when driving and feel more confident than the OEM Conti's did to me. I'll take that kind of resistance. Hoping they resist in snow a bit too. :)
I read on other forum that rim lips on DWS06+ stick out compare to OEM. How much does it stick out on you MY?

That's surprising because the OEM and DWS6+ have the same (10") section width. The Michelin Pilot Sport, however, has a section width of 9.8" which means that the tire is recessed 0.1" on each side making the wheel lip more prominent.
On what size was the section width measured? Most of the time, the wheel is narrow enough that the measurement of ”being the widest part” would be about middle of the sidewall.

A wider wheel will both move measured spot closer to the wheel and make it larger. But website specs usually only give one measurement, usually on that narrower wheel.

And those lip guards aren’t included in those widths, because of the narrower wheel too. They aren’t designed to be the widest part of the tire. They are designed to be wider than the wheel lip, by making it thicker/protrude out past the wheel right next to it.

On what size was the section width measured? Most of the time, the wheel is narrow enough that the measurement of ”being the widest part” would be about middle of the sidewall.

A wider wheel will both move measured spot closer to the wheel and make it larger. But website specs usually only give one measurement, usually on that narrower wheel.

And those lip guards aren’t included in those widths, because of the narrower wheel too. They aren’t designed to be the widest part of the tire. They are designed to be wider than the wheel lip, by making it thicker/protrude out past the wheel right next to it.
Meas. rim width was 8.5" in both cases.

Meas. rim width was 8.5" in both cases.
And putting those tires on 9.5” wheels will increase the section width (by either 0.2“ or 0.4”, I forget).

That being said, I realized I read the other post wrong (maybe?). I read “rim lips on DWS06+” as to mean the lip guards of the tire instead of the lip of the wheel.

That adds at least 1/4” to each side of the wheel, making the visible lips about 10“ wide, if not slightly more.

Because these tires all have lip guards, it makes the tire look slightly stretched and in turn, that can make it look like the wheel is sticking out even if the measurements are close to even. 0.1“ (or 0.2”) difference is very easy to visibly ignore/forget.

And putting those tires on 9.5” wheels will increase the section width (by either 0.2“ or 0.4”, I forget).

That being said, I realized I read the other post wrong (maybe?). I read “rim lips on DWS06+” as to mean the lip guards of the tire instead of the lip of the wheel.

That adds at least 1/4” to each side of the wheel, making the visible lips about 10“ wide, if not slightly more.

Because these tires all have lip guards, it makes the tire look slightly stretched and in turn, that can make it look like the wheel is sticking out even if the measurements are close to even. 0.1“ (or 0.2”) difference is very easy to visibly ignore/forget.
need to look whether a tire has a rim protection band built into the tire sidewall.