Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Modern Spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not too many threads on Modern Spare for Model S. I am considering it except for the 26.5" overall diameter of the 18" wheel and tire combo. Our 19" OEM wheel and tire have an OD of 27.7". Has anyone had an issue using the Modern Spare kit? I know it's okay to use a smaller donut spare on ICE cars in the past, just want to double-check that it doesn't cause issues on the S with the self-leveling air suspension.

https://modernspare.com/product/2012-2020-tesla-model-s-complete-kit/

Not too many threads on Modern Spare for Model S. I am considering it except for the 26.5" overall diameter of the 18" wheel and tire combo. Our 19" OEM wheel and tire have an OD of 27.7". Has anyone had an issue using the Modern Spare kit? I know it's okay to use a smaller donut spare on ICE cars in the past, just want to double-check that it doesn't cause issues on the S with the self-leveling air suspension.

Alloy Spare Tire Kits Engineered For Your Tesla Model S | Modern Spare
If you search in past threads, there is a BMW space saver spare that works well. It’s being used by several members.

Reactions: FatherTo1
If you search in past threads, there is a BMW space saver spare that works well. It’s being used by several members.

Any reason to opt for the BMW one over the Modern Spare that is made for the Model S and you can buy a compact kit with a properly rated jack/adapter for safely lifting?

The only part it doesn't seem to ship with is a wrench that lets you tighten to 129 lb/ft. What's the most portable lug nut wrench you can buy that lets you tighten to 129 lb/ft?

Getting ready to install new tires on my newly acquired 2016 MS. I found a used 19" Slipstream wheel on Ebay for $100. I already have a 4 way lug wrench and hydraulic Jack, so I should be all set.

I looked at the Modern Spare, but with both diameters within 1 inch of each other, I didn't see much space differential between the two.

Getting my wheels powder coated next week, and new tires installed, so my spare will be ready to go into the car. Wish there was a better way to store it without taking up so much room.

I considered a 19" full-size as a spare, but the Modern Spare is about half the width (or height if laying down in the trunk). Decisions, decisions. I may just get a set of runflats at the next replacement interval. I know early runflats had a poor reputation but the current designs seem much improved in areas of ride quality, noise, and wear.

Last edited:
Not too many threads on Modern Spare for Model S.
I am considering it except for the 26.5" overall diameter of the 18" wheel and tire combo.
Our 19" OEM wheel and tire have an OD of 27.7". Has anyone had an issue using the Modern Spare kit?
I know it's okay to use a smaller donut spare on ICE cars in the past,
just want to double-check that it doesn't cause issues on the S with the self-leveling air suspension.

https://modernspare.com/product/2012-2020-tesla-model-s-complete-kit/

There was an older tread dealing with this subject on forums.tesla.com: Model S - Spare tire option (Feb. 1, 2014)

They recommended using the BMW X3 F25 (2011-2017) Emergency Spare Tire from BimmerZone.com

The same spare tire is available on different web page: Tesla Model S - Spare tire

Under the Fitment Tab, the spare dimension are 165/70-18 and the diameter is 27.1 inch.

Last edited:
I just keep mine in the trunk. The strap on the case wraps around the seat back to hold it upright if I need the room to haul groceries, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1835.jpg
    IMG_1835.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,353
  • IMG_1838.jpg
    IMG_1838.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
I just keep mine in the trunk. The strap on the case wraps around the seat back to hold it upright if I need the room to haul groceries, etc.

Thank you, @TravelFree! The pics really help, especially the one where you stand the Modern Tire vertically. Also, what brand trunk liner is that there? Thanks again for sharing!

EDIT: Wait, I see the trunk liner says Model S and assume it is Tesla/WeatherTech brand, maybe?

That thing looks like it isn't strapped down well enough to keep it in place if you hit something hard.

I looked at my under-trunk space and indeed it is clearly deep enough but not otherwise big enough to store a spare.

My audi has an inflatable spare and a compressor, but it is on a 16 inch wheel. Even so, I don't think an 18 inch spare with an un-inflated tire would fit under the shelf in the rear, and even so I'd want to do something to secure it firmly to the floor so it doesn't fly through the compartment and remove someone's head in an otherwise uneventful accident.

That thing looks like it isn't strapped down well enough to keep it in place if you hit something hard.

Well, I'm not about to drive into a concrete wall to test it. :)

I did take a 320 mile drive with it upright as a test and it didn't move. Of more concern was the view from the Rear view mirror but that was found to be OK. The Modern Spare tire case has a strap that I put around the rear seat back and snugged it tight. Just about a perfect fit on the wider seat back.

The trunk liner is from Tesla.

If you are so inclined, you can use the spare tire to rotate your tires crosswise as it gives you a tire to use temporarily This can save some money. I don't know what Tesla charges to rotate tires but I used to get that done free for my other cars because I bought my tires at a local tire store.

Well, I'm not about to drive into a concrete wall to test it. :)

I did take a 320 mile drive with it upright as a test and it didn't move. Of more concern was the view from the Rear view mirror but that was found to be OK. The Modern Spare tire case has a strap that I put around the rear seat back and snugged it tight. Just about a perfect fit on the wider seat back.

The trunk liner is from Tesla.

If you are so inclined, you can use the spare tire to rotate your tires crosswise as it gives you a tire to use temporarily This can save some money. I don't know what Tesla charges to rotate tires but I used to get that done free for my other cars because I bought my tires at a local tire store.

Just received my Modern Tire. Thanks again for the photos, @TravelFree!

Bummer, Tesla redesigned the trunk liner. The "Tesla" label will peel off in a few weeks from past experience with simar liners in other cars.

Model S All-Weather Rear Trunk Set