Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will my M3LR Modern Spare work on new MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just ordered a 2024 MYP and want to know based on Modern Spare's stats below, if my current M3LR spare will work. Everything seems the same beside a slightly lower tire width and height. As long as I'm not dragging the ground on the way to get it the flat repaired, I'm assuming I don't need to buy another $500 spare and sell mine.

Model 3 Modern Spare Specs:
  • 18” X 4” with 5X114.3mm PCD (Bolt Pattern)
  • Continental T135/80R/18 Radial Tire DOT Rated 104M Featuring A 26.5” Rolling Diameter.

Model Y Performance Modern Spare Specs:

• 18” X 4” with 5X114.3mm PCD (Bolt Pattern)
  • Continental T145/85R/18 Radial Tire DOT Rated 103M Featuring A 27.7” Rolling Diameter
By the way, this is how I mounted the tire which worked perfectly considering the lack of space for it anywhere else. For the Y, I hear the sub trunk area will work. If not, I'll toss it in the back if we're traveling anywhere remotely.
Ttrunk & Tire.jpg

Attachments

• Complete-Kit-With-Carrying-Case-GM.R.jpg
    Complete-Kit-With-Carrying-Case-GM.R.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 5
Different rolling diameters might cause issues with traction control, maneuverability. QtownTaxiGreg is correct, though, "It will get you down the road..."

Someone more expert with Tesla traction control might weigh in on this...

Reactions: Spivas
No worries. It's very common for space savers to be a different diameter. It just means you have to take it easy.

After watching the 'out of specs' YouTube idiots drifting on a set of them maybe you could drift your way home no worries, but not recommended.

Drive along like my nana and the traction control might be having a bit of a wtf is happening here but we're not going sideways moment. You wouldn't notice much except it could be pulling one way or the other slightly.

Worst case. If TC really spat the dummy and retarded your progress, engage Off Road Mode and it will be none the wiser. Whichever end has the two good tyres will get the lion's share of power.

Modern Spares claim theirs is rated for the axle. That would be 750kg on a MY.

StanceMagic says 690kg.

It's not that hard to load a Y up to the axle rating. Most people would happily fill it full and be oblivious that they had a little over the rating allowance, so careful as ye go.

The Gemini wheel is rated 850kg. Have to wonder what is up with that.

From another thread in TMC where someone is asking about different tires on the 21 Ubers:

"Also, the max load on those tires up front is 1,653 pounds, but that's AT 42 PSI. Load goes down as pressure goes down. At 35 psi the load rating is more like 1,426 pounds up front and 1,664 on the rear.

Model Y Performance is ~4,398 pounds which puts a load of ~1,100 at each wheel before passengers or any other loads. That means you have about 1,306 pounds to play with before you overload the front axle. That sounds like a lot, but get four "larger" people in there at 200 to 230 each and you start to get close to that max load, and it's probably a little more complex and confusing since load ratings aren't equal between the rear and front."

I'm a bit confused on the max weight with people/cargo vs empty weight. Based on these numbers, it seems 690kg/1521lbs rating of the Stance would work. Is my math screwy?

I'm a bit confused on the max weight with people/cargo vs empty weight. Based on these numbers, it seems 690kg/1521lbs rating of the Stance would work. Is my math screwy?
The problem is the ÷4 maths. The GVM is not a factor here.

In reality the back axle has a higher load rating due to the majority of extra loading falling much more on the back than the front. All wheels should be able to hold up the back axle under a heavy jolt.

Stuff in the trunk is 100% on the back axle and back seat passengers pretty close also. If you put a bag of cement in the frunk you would have the GVM limiting what you can also put in the back, rather than the back axle rating.

All told it's a pretty highly strung system thanks to plenty of volume to put stuff in and a behemoth tare sitting on essentially 'car' wheels and tyres.

To get the wheel rating you take the axle rating and ÷2. This is the 750kg number.

The time you are most in need of a spare is when you are away from home and that is the same time you are most likely to be loaded up to the windows.