Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18”? 19”? 20”? 21”? MYP decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not just saying it cause I have it by but by FAR the 20" inductions are the absolute best wheel for the Model Y and frankly the best wheel I've ever used, owned, touched, or experienced. And I come from a long line of nice cars, new cars, ///M Cars, etc (i'm not the type that jumped from a 2006 Civic to a Model Y cause it's tiktok trendy! haha.

The inductions have the best balance of aesthetics, comfort, ride, handling etc. All around such a knock out wheel!!!

Just put new caliper covers on it. more pics in my profile info.

IMG_2315.jpg

I'm not just saying it cause I have it by but by FAR the 20" inductions are the absolute best wheel for the Model Y and frankly the best wheel I've ever used, owned, touched, or experienced. And I come from a long line of nice cars, new cars, ///M Cars, etc (i'm not the type that jumped from a 2006 Civic to a Model Y cause it's tiktok trendy! haha.

The inductions have the best balance of aesthetics, comfort, ride, handling etc. All around such a knock out wheel!!!

Just put new caliper covers on it. more pics in my profile info.

View attachment 925301
My guess you don’t have a 2023 ?

Our 2023 on inductions is seriously one of the worse suspensions I have ever driven in my life constantly bumpy and rough
I live in an area with good roads so maybe that's why. I would never ever EVER live with or run Geminis. The small benefit to ride comfort would not be worth it. Conversely, the performance would not be worth it to me due to the thin staggered tires (cost) so therefore the inductions strike an excellent supreme balance.

Has it really smoothed out little bumps for you and your previous ride quality?
I’ve also owned a Model S LR. I won’t say the MYP with 18”s rides as nice as the S, but the improvement is definitely noticeable. My wife’s MYLR with Redwood GT suspension has a slightly smoother ride than my MYP with 18”s, and her suspension is adjusted to be about as soft as possible.
All that said, ride quality is very subjective. And while the 18”s made an improvement, I bought them mostly because I didn’t like the way the Uberturbines looked (not a fan of huge rims with rubber band tires), much lighter weight, and ability to rotate them.

Reactions: Benzz
I’ve also owned a Model S LR. I won’t say the MYP with 18”s rides as nice as the S, but the improvement is definitely noticeable. My wife’s MYLR with Redwood GT suspension has a slightly smoother ride than my MYP with 18”s, and her suspension is adjusted to be about as soft as possible.
All that said, ride quality is very subjective. And while the 18”s made an improvement, I bought them mostly because I didn’t like the way the Uberturbines looked (not a fan of huge rims with rubber band tires), much lighter weight, and ability to rotate them.

your wife's MYLR with Redwood GT suspension has what wheels and tires?

I live in IL where our potholes have ZIP CODES, we have four seasons and I take 3 to 5 LONG road trips a year, so after owning a 2020 LR AWD for 25 months the first thing I did after ordering our 2022 MYP is to order some 18" tires/wheels from TSportLine with 245/50 Michelin.
bO3yRjh.jpg

QA25OAL.jpg

I wasn't able to swap them out until I had rolled up 25xx miles on the 21s with a 2k-mile road trip. So I had a baseline to compare my MYP to LR AWD and then with the 18s.
howQI9U.jpg

Best decision I could have made. My average wh/mi are as follows on the same 2K road trips from southern IL to southern MD via I-64:
2020 LR AWD with 19" Geminis: 275
2022 MYP with 21" UberTurbines: 315
2022 MYP with 18" TSTs: 285

My 1/4 performance also improved with the 18s:
2022 MYP with 21" UberTurbines: 12.09
2022 MYP with 18" TSTs: 11.89
5Ei6neU.png

Gonna do some more testing as I'm sure my MYP wasn't at optional temps when I tested with the 18s.

I no longer live in fear of potholes/curbs and am able to rotate them, and are cheaper to buy/replace. I kept the 21s and will reinstall them when I trade my 2022 in on an HW4 car.

Reactions: Ray_R