Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes they do. (Or at least they used to.) It was called EAP, the Early Access Program, and the participants have to sign an NDA.

Thanks for the information. It doesn't seem to be something they're currently offering, though it may be an invitation-only thing. EAP these days means Enhanced Auto Pilot, so it looks like Tesla may be facing a TLA shortage crisis. (26 cubed is only 17,576.)

Just took my first drive on 17.17.4 and noticed that it's less likely to pick up the kerb side lane line than before. In previous releases the car picked up the line without needing a proper painted line, a kerb was enough. It now behaves more like AP1 in that regard.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yep the first thing I noticed.

Although... I think its a good thing. I live in a very quiet neighborhood with very little cars on the side of the road and I tried Autosteer a few times (for entertainment reasons mostly) and it was dangerous around very very slight unmarked curves, the likes of which are common in neighborhoods. :)

I just don't get it...Really, I do not understand how these updates work. I guess I'm to use to how Apple updates their phones. I'm still on 17.11.45. Car has been connected to my home wi-fi ever since this started pushing out (all day/all night) since I'm out of town away on business, and yes it's the only thing on my guess network. When 17.11.45 came out, I got it on the 2nd day, but now nothing.....SMH.

I do wish Tesla was more transparent about the rollout process. I don't mind not getting it on the first day as long as I could look up when I'm estimated to get it.

However, its not a huge mystery. I recall at one point I think a couple years ago the update rollout UI was leaked (does anyone else remember that?). It allows cars to be targeted by pretty much any metric and supports a tiered rollout. I don't remember the details but I remembered those two things.

I've done a fair bit of release engineering before (though never for a physical device) and the practice they're doing here is super normal. A poster in the Model X forum said a "very reliable" source told him some details which while I can't claim to trust such a post the details claimed to have been said are very much in line with standard release engineering practices.

So disclaimer: I'm not saying this is how it works, but it would be very sensible and there is plenty of software precedent to suggest it works similarly to this.

You optionally select some metric that its important to partition on for releases. This may be as simple as "AP2 only" but could also be complex like "AP2 only + cold weather". Then, you select a rollout duration (to simplify things, there are probably more tunables), and go... maybe 500 people get it first day, 2000 3rd day, 10000 5th day, etc. It is probably mostly random who is in those buckets that qualifies for the metrics chosen.

Its annoying if you're not the chosen one but also very good because it prevents Tesla from being overwhelmed by buggy software, lowers risk to human life, etc. etc. You'll get it!

You better watch out, you better not cry
Better not pout, I'm telling you why
Elon's sending software real soon...
He's making a list and checking it twice
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice
He sees you when you're drivin'
He knows when you're on AP
He knows if you've rebooted
So don't reboot for rebootings sake
Oh! You better watch out, you better not cry

You better watch out, you better not cry
He's making a list and checking it twice
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice
He sees you when you're drivin'
He knows when you're on AP
He knows if you've rebooted
So don't reboot for rebootings sake
Oh! You better watch out, you better not cry

There were some AP1 updates I waited so long for that I was certain I had ended up on SantElon's Naughty list for being honest about my car. :):):)

• Funny
Reactions: OBX John
Received the new software update overnight. I got my first false positive of a side collision. This was on a side road. A large 18-wheeler was in the lane to my left and there was a slight bend in the road, right-to-left bend and my display showed that truck trying to make its way into my lane and so my car tapped the brakes even though the truck never moved out of its lane.

No side collision warning this morning, even with 17.17.4...

My MS came to a hard near full stop with in busy traffic today, crossing under a bridge.

I've been driving with my foot hovering over the go pedal ever since the first time TACC did that to me, even before AS was enabled. Was hoping with each new release these false braking events were being resolved...

Contact Tesla via [email protected] to let then know what/where this happened, assuming you did not do so via an on the spot bug report. They tell me they give such reports a higher priority to investigate the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: mikerathbun
Driving this morning in a local 3 lane road (Each way). I was in the center lane with no car on my left, with AP2 on set for 30mph a large white panel van was driving very close on the right (red on ultrasonics) and I noticed my car drifted to the left side of my lane. As this van kept speeding up and down, as it moved away (both in front and behind me) my car would go back the center of the lane. Three times the van came along side very close and each time my car moved left about 6-9 inches and it showed on screen moving from the center of my lane to the left side then back to center as the van moved off. This was on an absolutely straight road with good markings.

Never saw it do that before, but it was a subtle move that repeated itself. Maybe 17.17.4 did improve on local roads.

glad you showed him whos car was superior thereafter haha.

My move was a bit dangerous and done out of frustration. The right thing would have been to distance myself from them by slowing down and then safely pass on the left. But my initial reaction is usually to put as much room between that dangerous driver and myself as quickly as possible. But two wrongs don't make a right - easier said than done for me.

I wonder why there are selective side collision warnings. I'll need to log more miles with this latest update to understand the consistency or lack thereof with this new feature.

Reactions: OBX John
My MS came to a hard near full stop with in busy traffic today, crossing under a bridge. Car behind me stopped in time, but the one behind it had to dodge to the side. The car in front of me wasn't near, and my car kept braking even as it continued to speed away. Dangerous.

On my first 1,200 mile road trip, my AP2 Model S slammed on the brakes when going over an overpass with about 10 feet elevation change. It also slammed on the brakes for overhead interstate signs, large signs on the right just before exits, and when crossing under bridges crossing the interstate. Fortunately no one was close enough to run into me.

I will be going on a 4,000 mile road trip in July, I hope the software updates will resolve these issues before my trip.

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn