Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14 Months of leasing a Tesla, now time to move on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after 14mths of leasing an M3 through the business I have decided to hand it back. Several reasons but an opportunity has come up which makes it a no brainer even with the early hand back charge. It has been a definite love hate relationship for me personally although I can understand why others love them, for me they’re just not “all that”.

Personal likes:-
Acceleration (obviously 😁)
Original purchase / collection experience.
Low running costs
No VED
Surprisingly expansive luggage capacity (beyond my expectation, do they actually count the underfloor area in measurements?)
Ability to heat / cool car prior to leaving the house (although latest updates seem to have made it less functional imo)
Speed of Supercharger network and ability to see before arrival if you need to divert (unless the press are to be believed of course or you’re a numpty who likes to queue)

Personal dislikes
TACC, sorry but it just doesn’t flick my switches (dont like adaptive cruise at all in any car I’ve tried with it) but the ghost braking although better than it was is just a complete NO from me. I’ve never been a drive watching only the car in front and brake driver anyway, my preference is to look a few vehicles in front and ease off when needed (adaptive cruise isn’t there yet for me)
Windscreen wipers are just a complete pain in the arse on Auto. I spray the screen, wipers operate, then carry on operating until the screen is smeared because the camera didn’t clear🤦🏼‍♂️. On our lovely damp road winters in UK it sucks lol, used more screenwash than any car I’ve owned previously.
Seats . Anything over 100miles and I find them uncomfortable and need a break from them. I also find because they’re plastic that they make me sweat in summer.
Build quality, anyone ever driven with no music on and windows down? Might just be mine but it rattles like a bag of bones on anything other than a smooth surface (difficult to find in UK)
Breakover height - when leaving a flat road down a driveway is awful. Never even considered it in any other car (not my driveway btw but somewhere I go a fair bit) even a mates Aston (much longer wheelbase) is better.
Physical controls - very much a personal thing which I thought I’d be fine with after an adjustment period, however no, I just can’t get away from the fact I like tactile easy to find switches and controls.

So what am I changing to you may ask especially as ALL new cars seem to come with adaptive cruise 🤬. I’m heading back to the dark side of ICE, looking at 2-3yr old BMW X3, Jaguar FPace, Volvo XC60 or Audi Q5 which I intend to keep for as long as possible. Yes I’ll miss the acceleration, no VED (although it’s coming). Can’t wait for some beautiful sumptuous real leather seats and decent auto wipers though lol.
Will I go back to an EV? Not in the foreseeable future I’ll be clinging onto ICE for as long as humanly possible.

So after 14mths of leasing an M3 through the business I have decided to hand it back. Several reasons but an opportunity has come up which makes it a no brainer even with the early hand back charge. It has been a definite love hate relationship for me personally although I can understand why others love them, for me they’re just not “all that”.

Low running costs
No VED
Surprisingly expansive luggage capacity (beyond my expectation, do they actually count the underfloor area in measurements?)
Ability to heat / cool car prior to leaving the house (although latest updates seem to have made it less functional imo)
Speed of Supercharger network and ability to see before arrival if you need to divert (unless the press are to be believed of course or you’re a numpty who likes to queue)

Personal dislikes
TACC, sorry but it just doesn’t flick my switches (dont like adaptive cruise at all in any car I’ve tried with it) but the ghost braking although better than it was is just a complete NO from me. I’ve never been a drive watching only the car in front and brake driver anyway, my preference is to look a few vehicles in front and ease off when needed (adaptive cruise isn’t there yet for me)
Windscreen wipers are just a complete pain in the arse on Auto. I spray the screen, wipers operate, then carry on operating until the screen is smeared because the camera didn’t clear🤦🏼‍♂️. On our lovely damp road winters in UK it sucks lol, used more screenwash than any car I’ve owned previously.
Seats . Anything over 100miles and I find them uncomfortable and need a break from them. I also find because they’re plastic that they make me sweat in summer.
Build quality, anyone ever driven with no music on and windows down? Might just be mine but it rattles like a bag of bones on anything other than a smooth surface (difficult to find in UK)
Breakover height - when leaving a flat road down a driveway is awful. Never even considered it in any other car (not my driveway btw but somewhere I go a fair bit) even a mates Aston (much longer wheelbase) is better.
Physical controls - very much a personal thing which I thought I’d be fine with after an adjustment period, however no, I just can’t get away from the fact I like tactile easy to find switches and controls.

So what am I changing to you may ask especially as ALL new cars seem to come with adaptive cruise 🤬. I’m heading back to the dark side of ICE, looking at 2-3yr old BMW X3, Jaguar FPace, Volvo XC60 or Audi Q5 which I intend to keep for as long as possible. Yes I’ll miss the acceleration, no VED (although it’s coming). Can’t wait for some beautiful sumptuous real leather seats and decent auto wipers though lol.
Will I go back to an EV? Not in the foreseeable future I’ll be clinging onto ICE for as long as humanly possible.
Hardwired, not easy :)

Reactions: Smileysam and Xdama
I agree with pretty much all your points except the ICE bit.
Unless they’re a high-mileage driver I cannot fathom why anyone would want to cling to a technology that performs worse, is more expensive to operate and maintain, is noisier and literally stinks. I cannot see myself ever owning an ICE again but once my M3 dies (hopefully in 10 years or more!) I doubt I’ll be buying another Tesla unless something fundamentally changes in their philosophy.

I'd own an ICE again if it was somethig special, most are. I'm talking supercar level stuff, or 911 / GTR calibre.

Would never go back to ICE for regular daily driver duties unless I was forced to, somehow.

I think Tesla have quite a bit of competition now, but they've all got their own idiosyncracies, some worse than others. The rest of the industry stlll seem pretty slow to move to being exclusively EV, but they're obviously catering to a market that is still out there.

Low running costs
No VED

Personal dislikes

I came over from an SQ5 with the nappa leather seats. They were way harder and actually hurt my a$$ after an hour or two. Volvo seats seemed harder as well. I have a model S but I think the seats feel about the same in the 3 (and I like them)

can understand why others love them, for me they’re just not “all that”.
Tesla have to wake up and keep up.
I’ll keep what I have going, but in terms of repeat business there’s honestly nothing in the Tesla pipeline that’s making me go oooh, ahhh or wow.

Tesla do really need to recreate some spark with the brand now everyone’s piled in and other car makers are producing some really nice EVs.

Folks that have scratched the Tesla itch are obviously now saying ‘….ok, well is that all’.

Reactions: CWT3LR
TACC, sorry but it just doesn’t flick my switches (dont like adaptive cruise at all in any car I’ve tried with it) but the ghost braking although better than it was is just a complete NO from me
FWIW: I use Autopilot for about 80% of my driving here in rural New Mexico. It's my favorite feature and I can't imagine ever getting a car without it (or something better). I haven't seen any phantom braking for about a year. It will brake prematurely when a vehicle crosses our path up ahead but I see this too and put slight pressure on the accelerator to keep going. It's far from perfect and I have to stay vigilant but it is a huge plus for me.

Last fall AP prevented us from hitting a small deer that darted in front of my car. By the time I saw the deer it was too close to stop in time but AP saw it earlier and did a hard brake. The experience really rattled me because I was absolutely certain we were going to hit the deer. I was going 20 mph and when I first saw the deer is was about 10 feet in front of the car.

Reactions: Smileysam
I agree with you that there are ICE options look pretty tempting....I already have my NSX which isn't going anywhere, but also fancy something with a few more cylinders a V10 or a V12 as they are sadly very much a dying breed.

I'm some way off changing mine and some way off retiring.
Possibly.
However, that hasn't prevented me from having a look at the options out there.
So far, I've got to EV and the BYD Han.
Which isn't to be released in the UK..

Reactions: CWT3LR
How do you like the NSX? I have always heard people that actually drove the NSX saying good words about it.
It's a wonderful car - people look at the numbers (bhp, 0-60 etc etc) but that is completely missing the essence of the car.

It is beautifully engineered with aluminium body and chassis - an this engineering runs deep - the hydro-formed aluminium suspension components, the variable valve timing and the titanium con-rods to name just a few special elements.

It is a lovely thing to drive - plenty quick enough for modern roads with a lovely balance....and the induction howl from 4500-8000rpm makes every journey an event.

Prior to owning the NSX I used to change cars more frequently than my underwear. I've now been the fortunate custodian of this NSX for nearly 17 years.
IMG_20160516_084613.jpg

IMG_20220406_125122_edit_694194499789906.jpg

Last edited: