Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened to me twice. During my last service visit, the South Florida service manager told me they are now replacing the batteries proactively during the yearly service. He indicated they are also looking at possible long term solutions. I know lithium-ion and other "motorcycle" size high performance batteries are available, I sure hope they come up with something.

I'll definitely watch my Ranger change it to see what he does. When (obviously not if) it happens again after my warranty expires I'll just change it myself.
Yeah, I'd be curious on the specs (size, amperage, etc). I use Shorai Li-Ion batteries in my motorcycles. Saves a TON of weight over Lead-acid but these are track bikes so they sit on a balancer for weeks (months now that I have a kid) and then get used for a day then back on the balancer. I don't have longevity data on daily use.

Yeah, I'd be curious on the specs (size, amperage, etc).

Here's an old photo:

photo.JPG

After a ranger was here to swap out our PEM he suggested that the 12 volt battery be replaced annually as preventative maintenance. Tesla mailed one to me the following week and I was able to change it out myself without too much trouble.

When my Ranger went to unscrew the bracket to remove the old battery, the bracket actually broke. He was very surprised - said he'd never seen that happen before. Fortunately I had some big-ass tie wraps in the basement.

Needless to say he's coming back...

When my Ranger went to unscrew the bracket to remove the old battery, the bracket actually broke. He was very surprised - said he'd never seen that happen before. Fortunately I had some big-ass tie wraps in the basement.

Needless to say he's coming back...

Thats where zip ties come in handy. (haven't broken anything on the roadster, but have on other vehicles especially w/ rusty bolts.)

The 1.5 roadsters use battery sheets 1 & 2 to supply power while the car is off.
Seems as if that would unbalance the pack and cycle those cells more than the others = bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

They do shut down main power for a while, in order to remove and blow the dust out of the PEM. Maybe that somehow stresses the 12V battery?
They could put a 12V power supply on the battery during service, or disconnect it. If that battery has to be replaced once a year it's obviously not sized properly.

My roadster was in for service last week in D.C. The technician mentioned that they replaced the 12v battery while going over the car. I didn't know it had one, but had noticed that I was having problems unlocking the car. It unlocks easily now (although I have to be pretty close).

I thought they were replaced during the yearly maintenance? Mine was...

Mine wasn't, and it failed a week after my annual service resulting in another Ranger service call. Then the mounting bracket fell apart and another Ranger service was required to fix that.

It appears some local service centers have taken to replacing the battery automatically, but it does not appear to be a corporate policy.