Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery replacement notice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the e-mail notice today about our 12V battery. Our car was delivered 11-26-12.

Interesting. Mine has seen service 2-3 times since the 12v battery replacement thing started and I specifically asked about it. Once the Ranger even looked at my battery planning to swap it, but because it was a red one (or black, I don't remember) when he called in they said it wasn't required. I was a 12/3/12 delivery.

My car was in for service a couple of weeks ago and no mention of a 12v battery replacement. My car was delivered in early March and I haven't had any 12v issues that I'm aware of.

Ditto. I have a tester and check it every so often, but so far it seems to maintain a full charge.

Are these being replaced under warranty?

Michael

Yes.

I had a ranger come out to check my TPMS (they were giving false readings) and he swapped the 12V at that time, so I didn't get (or need) a separate email notification for this. Old 12V was grey and new one is red. I had my 12,500 check-up a couple months ago, and this happened after that.

Just got my S back from service, 6,500 miles, went in for tire rotation, R R door handle replacement, defrost, etc., and they did the 12v replacement. Ah, so now i better understand ...

My Signature was delivered December 6, 2012. I never received an email.

However, last week I took it in for tire rotation and service bulletins. In addition to the rotation they replaced all of my handles, did a liftgate trough trim upgrade, rear window regulator reinforcement clip installation, proactive replacement of 12V battery, four wheel alignment, proactive panoramic roof creak adjustment, floor mat update, C-pillar brighwork creak inspection, check and adjust tire pressure, correct wind noise.

Larry

Last edited:
After the warranty is over, can the 12 volt battery be replaced by a standard deep cycle unit, such as an Optima Yellow Top?

1. There is some question about the battery maintenance programming and whether it will work with all batteries.

2. Optima is not the company it once was. They were sold, moved production to Mexico and a Google search will turn up many complaints. Try Odyssey batteries instead.

My Signature was delivered December 6, 2012. I never received an email.

However, last week I took it in for tire rotation and service bulletins. In addition to the rotation they replaced all of my handles, did a liftgate trough trim upgrade, rear window regulator reinforcement clip installation, proactive replacement of 12V battery, four wheel alignment, proactive panoramic roof creak adjustment, floor mat update, C-pillar brighwork creak inspection, check and adjust tire pressure, correct wind noise.

Larry
I had the SC remove a screw from my tire last August and they performed all applicable SBs (mostly the same as Larry).
They replaced my Exide 12V battery with C&D 12V battery (part 1024463-00-A) (SB-13-17-008). All under warranty.
They even had a SB to replace my rear Axle nut washer, So I imagine If you have one of the bad batteries they will take care of it without even asking.
Now getting my update to v5.6... Still holding my breath.:redface:

Last edited:
I was just called by Tesla service to "Confirm your Monday morning appointment for your Signature". Huh? My appointment is for the following week, and it's Roadster first, then Model S.

No, this is a different appointment, apparently. They want to replace the 12V battery in my Model S again.

They want to replace the 12V battery in my Model S again.

Again? When was your's last replaced? Service has been bugging me to get my car in, but due to personal and business scheduling issues I haven't been able to set up a time. I wonder if I'm in the same boat as well? My 12v was replaced a while back already too. (Never had any issues or error messages).

I went through two 12V batteries in the first 8 months. With all the changes to the batteries and charging protocols my 12V has been fine for almost a year now. I'm consistently running accessories for a long period of time when the car is off and unplugged too. (Heat, AC, Audio, Internet)