Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1200 miles on 7.1 — Grade: C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1200 miles on 7.1 — Grade: C

A few thoughts on Nav and AP after two days of driving.

As I understood Tesla to say, this is still beta, hands on the wheel, eyes on the road. Things are not guaranteed to work. And still it's the best out there.

Sounds to me like it is doing what it was supposed to, and yet we continue to get upgrades, and it improves. Tesla also says that it "learns", which I can vouch for in several instances. Maybe where you live there is not enough data being uploaded. ??

I agree about navigating to Superchargers. I have visited more than 50 different superchargers, often at night. Often they are not easy to see and even if I see them, getting to them was a little confusing. What parking lot do I have to enter? Many times I drive through several lots to finally find my way in.

It is a general problem with navigation systems. They lack detail in parking lots and side roads leading to businesses or hotels. Once you have reached the address on the main road, you are on your own. The maps themselves have much more detail. Heck I have seen a Best Buy store on my Tesla navigation screen that showed each individual aisle inside the building! With hyper accurate maps for AP directing you into the right parking lot to a Supercharger should be possible.

I recently took a 1500mile trip with the family for the first time in our new 70D and my wife asked me a few times why they don't put up a single sign with an arrow telling me here the damn chargers are....Some of the SCs in northern Virginia are located at huge malls and it isn't always obvious where to go. I never had a decent answer for her as I sorta had to agree...Navigation improvements would be nice but as a software engineer part of me wonders if maybe we could fix this problem with the simple low tech solution...

This has been a minor problem since day 1. I don't think Tesla can do anything about it, you just have to use your head. Remember paper maps?

I agree about navigating to Superchargers. I have visited more than 50 different superchargers, often at night. Often they are not easy to see and even if I see them, getting to them was a little confusing. What parking lot do I have to enter? Many times I drive through several lots to finally find my way in.

It is a general problem with navigation systems. They lack detail in parking lots and side roads leading to businesses or hotels. Once you have reached the address on the main road, you are on your own. The maps themselves have much more detail. Heck I have seen a Best Buy store on my Tesla navigation screen that showed each individual aisle inside the building! With hyper accurate maps for AP directing you into the right parking lot to a Supercharger should be possible.

Have you submitted a bug report? Yes, Tesla reads the forums, but the more people who complain to them directly the more attention it'll get.

I e-mailed my sales rep, Michelle Chang, about this extremely dangerous behavior a couple months ago - and said this is gonna get somebody killed. I gave her the exact highway and stretch of road where this diving-into-oncoming-traffic behavior over hill crests happens (highway 395 between highway 14 and I-15 in California). She claimed she would forward the message to engineering. But according to this discussion the behavior hasn't been fixed yet.

I have *not* driven that stretch again myself since 7.1 was released so I can't speak from experience. When my car gets here in April I'll test it again and report back - the autopilot Tesla I experienced the behavior with was a 7.0 70D rental.

Last edited:
This has been a minor problem since day 1. I don't think Tesla can do anything about it, you just have to use your head. Remember paper maps?

Google maps often goes inside buildings, like malls, and even bars around here. Tesla has only a limited number of superchargers, it shouldn't take much time to make sure they are all updated and accessible on the map.

It all comes down to the same thing. They've spent all this engineering effort on the fundamentals but almost no work on the user interface side since this original design. Guess what, that's what all the people buying the cars experience.

To add a point to Tesla/Google's inaccuracy with regard to superchargers. For the Tesla Supercharger in Tifton, GA Tesla Nav directs you on to the entrance ramp for I-75 South. Would they put a SC on an entrance ramp? I know of two park & ride lots with Level 2 chargers that you enter from a freeway ramp so it wouldn't be too unexpected. Elsewhere I've seen other roads split off from entrance ramps. Fortunately I was dubious and drove around in some industrial access roads and parking lots to find the charger behind a Starbucks and next to the entrance ramp. In this case though it seemed that Tesla/Google have the SC located properly and accurately on the map with Lat/Long (unlike some malls where it is located in the middle of the interior food court) but Nav needs to know that it is NOT accessed via the entrance ramp (which would add an additional 13 miles of driving.

Oh, and thinking about Tifton GA. We'd headed there from Auburn AL (War Eagle!). Interestingly, Tesla Nav, instead of sending us directly from Auburn to Tifton (a 162 mile drive with 242 miles of range available) wanted to send us to Macon GA and then to Tifton — an extra 90 miles of driving. EVTripPlanner sent us direct with an estimate of 168 rated miles used. We arrived having used 162 miles of range. EVTripPlanner 1, Tesla 0.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind for everyone, the nav screen on the instrument cluster is run by an on-board Navigon/Garmin database. The main screen is Google maps. When you tell the car to nav you somewhere, the main screen looks up the street address of the destinatino and then sends that street address to the on-board database and the turn-by-turn goes off of that. So in that case the turn-by-turn will only get you to the street address (so for a mall it will be the main entrance). However, you should be able to zoom in on the main screen and using the map itself you should be able to drive to the SC location. Hopefully I didn't confuse everyone more...

I drove 900 miles from Boulder to Dallas on 7.0, upgraded in Dallas, then drove 1,200 miles around Dallas and then on to Pagosa Springs on 7.1, so I had a pretty good chance to compare. Here are my comments.

I would also like to see hyper accurate SC locations. Knowing that somewhere within a 600 acre mall and it's parking lot there is a SC is nice but can still take a while to find. 7.1 does seem better on this but still not fully there.

The actual Supercharger locations are very accurate. The problem is the turn by turn instructions are done by the on-board Garmin GPS, not the main screen Google/Tesla map. What I do that is pretty simple, when I am close to the Supercharger (in the parking lot), is zoom the center console map in all the way and turn on Sat mode. This gives you a good aerial view of the area with your location and the Supercharger both on the screen. If you put the map in "route up," then you can get oriented very quickly and find the chargers.

Enhanced Visualization, showing vehicles in adjacent lanes, is good but inaccurate. It shows the vehicles farther away than they really are and misses about 20% of vehicles. A vehicle that we are passing and overlapping a few feet is indicated as still having maybe 10-15 feet of gap before beginning to overlap. What would really be helpful is to show vehicles coming up from behind but it apparently can only see vehicles to the front not sides or back.

My biggest complaint in this area is when the autopilot would occasionally mistake a vehicle in the adjacent lane for one in front of me, and start slowing very quickly. It does not happen often, but when it does, it is shocking and can be dangerous if someone is close behind you.

Moving a lane to the left is worse than 7.0 (moving a lane to the right seems to work fine). Numerous times it would not move over and for no good reason that I could see so after having the blinker on for a bit I'd have to do it manually. This was a problem about 30% of the time. Worse, on one occasion when I blinked to move over there was a car in my blind spot and AP started to change lanes in to the other car. Fortunately we avoided a collision. (non Tesla issue: I learned to drive in Europe with my mirrors much farther out than most Americans so my blind spot is really tiny and this vehicle really surprised me as it's the first time in probably a decade that this has happened).

I saw this behavior as well, trying to switch lanes to the left. After it happened a few times, I noticed that it was 100% correlated with the auto-pilot not recognizing, nor depicting that there was a lane to the left to move to. I assume that the auto-pilot will not move you to a lane that it cannot see. I accept this as a safety issue. My solution is to just move manually to the left (the turn signal is already on), and then when the auto-pilot sees the new lane, then re-enable lane keeping.

Here are a few other issues that I noticed:

When taking a turn, the lane keeping often falls behind, and drifts to the outside of the turn. It even depicts that this is happening; what I see is that when it sees the problem, it does not fix it; it just stays on the outside. When I try a gentle push to help center the car in the lane, it just gives control back to me.

In the 6.x versions, the Energy:Trip screen worked very well. It seemed to average the last 10-20 miles against its internal model and then extrapolate that usage to the end of the trip. 7.1 seems to use a very short average, that has a lot of noise. At first I thought that the predictions were going spastic, with the prediction for SoC at the end of the trip jumping as much as 6% of charge. When you are expecting to arrive at the next Supercharger with 14%, having that suddenly drop to 8% can be quite disturbing. After a while, I started seeing that these jumps were correlated with short-term bursts of power usage, or lack thereof. I really liked the 10-20 mile average. This short-term baseline for the end of trip prediction makes it much less useful.

The undivided highway restriction of Speed Limit + 5 mph is horrible. On a lot of remote roads that I drive in SW Colorado, that is a real pain. I have tried keeping lane-keeping on and using my right foot to maintain speed, and also just using TACC speed control with me steering. Steering is much easier than speed control... Below are a couple examples on today's drive from Santa Fe, NM to Pagosa Springs, CO.

US-84, north of Española, NM. Looks divided to me...
Lane Keeping 1.jpg

US-84, north of Abiquiu Reservoir. Not divided, but this is the kind of open, highway that lane keeping should do well on...
Lane Keeping 2.jpg