Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:D well I am a Quantity Surveyor after all, have to crunch the numbers, but then again seeing FREE after paying $100k for a vehicle does help soften the blow :p

And it is a relative thing, too. Every time you hit that Supercharger on the upgraded 100D, one may start thinking... if only this didn't eat into my credits.

Then again, with 90D the same could happen with range. In reality it takes time and experience for most to see which is more important in their usage pattern...

Interestingly, I know for a fact more range would be more useful to me than free Supercharging, yet still this might give me a pause. After all, I can always buy more range later. I can not buy free unlimited Supercharging... :) (At least not in a new car.)

Oh, the psychology indeed...

Last edited:
There has not been much discussion about no change in 0-60 times between 90 kWh and 100 kWh batteries. Any guesses as to why? Bigger battery has in the past meant better 0-60 unless it was just a software limited difference.

There has not been much discussion about no change in 0-60 times between 90 kWh and 100 kWh batteries. Any guesses as to why? Bigger battery has in the past meant better 0-60 unless it was just a software limited difference.

I'm also wondering this...

The 85D/90D had the same acceleration but was still hoping for a slight bump from 90D --> 100D...

My question too. . . my bet is they keep it 4.2 0-60 until all of us with 90D orders are fulfilled and then the 100D's improved performance will be 'unlocked.' For $3K more I am already considering upgrading to 100D and eating the $500 bucks, but if I knew the acceleration was improved as well, I'm pretty sure I'd be a lock for abandoning the 90D. I'm just surmising that they want to move the 90D stock rather than further reduce demand by touting the better features of the 100D.

My question too. . . my bet is they keep it 4.2 0-60 until all of us with 90D orders are fulfilled and then the 100D's improved performance will be 'unlocked.' For $3K more I am already considering upgrading to 100D and eating the $500 bucks, but if I knew the acceleration was improved as well, I'm pretty sure I'd be a lock for abandoning the 90D. I'm just surmising that they want to move the 90D stock rather than further reduce demand by touting the better features of the 100D.

I would eat $500 in a second if that let me upgrade to 100D for just 3k. 3.5k is still bargain for that upgrade and will probability be worth more than 3.5k in resale value in the long run.

The 90D configuration I've been pricing is $200 lower today, probably due to the new interior seat/trim bundling. That means the 100D is actually only $2800 more than a 90D configured yesterday.

The $3000 upgrade cost is a surprise - because the difference between the P90D and P100D was higher ($10K?). And once the 90D battery pack supply is exhausted, seems likely they'll offer software limited 90Ds as an option.

For a Model S, the additional 40 miles of range for $3000 will discourage most 90D orders.

In the next 3-12 months, we could see two additional power-related changes - supercharger V3 support (which might be part of the Model 3 reveal, and lower supercharger to 5-10 minutes) and a 2170 version of the 100 battery pack (which could result in a slight improvement in range and performance).

Compared to my "classic" S P85, the S 100D has the same acceleration and 70 miles more range. And costs about $10K more than what I paid for my P85 4 years ago - and for that difference I would get all of the new technology (EAP, FSD, power folding mirrors, parking sensors, TACC, autoparking, summons, center console, improved air filtration, improved seats, ...).

Reactions: CSFTN
I'm in the same dilemma! I can upgrade today but will probably lose supercharging. My lease only increases $125/mo for the 100D vs 90D... so now I'm questioning the extra range (about 60km for me) - I plan to do a lot of road trips with this vehicle and with the Supercharger network continuing to grow I'm not sure it's worth losing free Supercharging for an extra 60km of range...

I
It could be that it is the inverters that limit and not the battery.

:D well I am a Quantity Surveyor after all, have to crunch the numbers, but then again seeing FREE after paying $100k for a vehicle does help soften the blow :p
I do understand that, having made most of my living with statistics. I really liked FREE myself. I rather wish we still had the option to buy FREE for life. I have done such things, even when I designed the product myself and absolutely knew it was not rational. There may just be a bit of cognitive dissonance that would let Tesla make some more money and make buyers even happier.

Reactions: bhzmark and GSP