Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1:18 Scale Diecast P85 Model S now in Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact that Tesla can make a high quality toy that so many people are pleased with, but that actually accomplishes nothing, yet can't get their act together enough not to disappoint thousands of customers who were on the waiting list for center consoles in finishes other than piano black is:

a) ironic
b) pathetic
c) disgusting
d) all of the above

I'd start a poll, but I'm too disgusted.

Maybe you can use the scale model as a console... with the frunk up, it might actually hold a cup of coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla really should have made a Signature version and sent it, free of charge, to all Signature owners. That would have been the right thing to do.

Or different vendors, one who delivered as promised & another who failed miserably. (Again, I'm not excusing Tesla's accountability on that.) But c'mon. It's not like they just sourced this in the last couple months. Difference is that if this hadn't met quality expectations, we would never have known because there was no wait list. And there probably wasn't a wait list because they weren't trying to figure out what combinations to order. (And who knows how many other things never made it to the shop because of issues...).

Of course I recognize that there is little connection between the scale model cars and the center consoles. Even so, Tesla offering these in the Tesla Store now feels a bit like Nero fiddling while Rome burned.

I wasn't aware that there was such an issue with the centre consoles (again not an owner) and I can emphasise with you're frustration but I can't imagine the development of these scale models affects the development of the centre console in any way. Trying to draw any sort of connection between them is somewhat contrieved and doesn't do your point any justice. Other than some CAD models and a little supervision from the Tesla design team (neither of which would take up much time or resources), the entire development and manufacturing of these models was handled by an external contractor. By comparison the centre consoles are an internal product from Tesla. The only way one could affect there other would be if the two products were fighting for the same development dollars, but I highly doubt that. Don't hate on the scale models just because the external supplier can do their job competently.

Agreed, though I would phrase it as "Trying to draw any connection between them is irrational."

No connection at all? Irrational? Fine, I'll bite.

The Tesla Store seems to be a pretty darn small operation, with extremely limited resources. Is it not possible that one of the reasons Tesla decided not to continue trying to make things work with the console supplier was because they knew that the Tesla Store's very small staff was going to have to be working on processing orders for these toys? Is it not possible that at some point along the line someone was doing something related to these toys instead of doing an extra quality control check on the consoles, that would have caught the problem sooner and prevented the current situation? Is it not possible that the time that it's going to take someone continuing to work with this toy vendor on reorders and modifications couldn't be better spent coming up with a replacement part for the center console?

It seems to me the only thing that would be irrational would be to state definitively that there could be no connection whatsoever between the toys and the center console fiasco in a department so small that all correspondence is apparently answered by the same person who often takes days to respond.

Maybe you can use the scale model as a console... with the frunk up, it might actually hold a cup of coffee.
:D
But Hey, wait, there's another idea germinating from that one... Now I want this: A frunk-shaped center console, with its own lid (hood [bonnet])... and its own recessed "microwave" section of course that fits into the under-tray recess (and holds a couple of phones?). "Just the Frunk, Ma'am." Hopefully at a fraction of the price of a trad CC or the Model Model S.

The fact that Tesla can make a high quality toy that so many people are pleased with, but that actually accomplishes nothing, yet can't get their act together enough not to disappoint thousands of customers who were on the waiting list for center consoles in finishes other than piano black is:

a) ironic
b) pathetic
c) disgusting
d) all of the above

I'd start a poll, but I'm too disgusted.

I am sorry that the center console issue is so important to you. I'd figured it would never happen, and then I got mine last month. Before that, for two and a half years, it was boxes on the floor. If I had not been contacted, I was happy with the boxes.

It seemed apparent to me that Tesla Store is simply outsourcing these jobs. If the consoles were made poorly and had to be rejected (mostly trims other than piano black), they were rejected. If another supplier contracted to make car models and are done beautifully, well and good. I don't see how these are connected at all. You seem to feel that the consoles would have been fine if Tesla Stores had spent time - where? - at the contractor's shop making consoles? instead of having some other contractor show his product and subsequently sell it through Tesla Stores.

I guess I never had the idea that my desires are so important that a tiny company should give me whatever I want. I see they tried. I see it fell through. I see a lot of people did not get what they wanted -- YET. It doesn't mean it will never happen, either. And it doesn't mean that their staff doesn't care.

Like any company anywhere, you have failures, and sometimes you hit it out of the park.

I am sorry that the center console issue is so important to you. I'd figured it would never happen, and then I got mine last month. Before that, for two and a half years, it was boxes on the floor. If I had not been contacted, I was happy with the boxes.

I appreciate your concern. You point out one of the big differences between our situations: you ordered your car before a console existed, so in that sense being able to get one was a "bonus" you did not expect at the time you placed your order for the car. I, on the other hand, always expected to have the obeche matte console as part of my purchase. I now have a mismatched interior, and no indication that I ever won't.

It seemed apparent to me that Tesla Store is simply outsourcing these jobs. If the consoles were made poorly and had to be rejected (mostly trims other than piano black), they were rejected. If another supplier contracted to make car models and are done beautifully, well and good. I don't see how these are connected at all. You seem to feel that the consoles would have been fine if Tesla Stores had spent time - where? - at the contractor's shop making consoles? instead of having some other contractor show his product and subsequently sell it through Tesla Stores.

I don't think the consoles would have been fine with more time spent on them. I fully recognize, as I said above, that there is little connection between the two items. But when challenged by those who said there could be "no connection" and that it was "irrational" to think there could be any, I felt the need to point out how there --COULD-- be some connection between the two, in a department as understaffed as the Tesla Store seems to be.

I guess I never had the idea that my desires are so important that a tiny company should give me whatever I want. I see they tried. I see it fell through. I see a lot of people did not get what they wanted -- YET. It doesn't mean it will never happen, either. And it doesn't mean that their staff doesn't care.

It's not a question of giving me whatever I want. It's a question of honoring their promises. I spent somewhere around $150,000 on my car, HPWCs, an extra set of Cyclone wheels, paint correction, Opticoat Pro, etc, and one of the things I was expecting as part of this exceedingly large purchase was a console that matched the rest of the car. Tesla was offering it on their website. In my opinion they have an obligation to deliver it, and they have chosen to not meet that obligation. This is wrong.

The Tesla Store seems to be a pretty darn small operation, with extremely limited resources. Is it not possible that one of the reasons Tesla decided not to continue trying to make things work with the console supplier was because they knew that the Tesla Store's very small staff was going to have to be working on processing orders for these toys?

I would be amazed if the fulfillment operation of the Tesla store isn't outsourced to a fulfillment house. Almost nobody does their own fulfillment.

I imagine that beyond licensing/legal, Tesla had zero involvement with these die cast models. Likely the maker got the license, and once they produced the model, gave the store the option of carrying them. This is completely different than the vendor on the center console - probably even a different continent since die casts are are all done in Asia and the center console was likely sourced in North America.

:D
But Hey, wait, there's another idea germinating from that one... Now I want this: A frunk-shaped center console, with its own lid (hood [bonnet])... and its own recessed "microwave" section of course that fits into the under-tray recess (and holds a couple of phones?). "Just the Frunk, Ma'am." Hopefully at a fraction of the price of a trad CC or the Model Model S.

Love this idea! Hello, Abstract Ocean... :)

My model should arrive by Tuesday - the corresponding 1:18 Supercharger just came out of the paint shop (aka office desk - including the wife complaining about the sanding dust :biggrin: ).

IMAG0666_1_1.jpg
IMAG0667_1_1.jpg

Ummm the choking 13 year old?

WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD
Contains small parts. Not suitable for children under 14 years old.

Not suitable for a 13 year old? What kind of product is this? I have to worry that a 13 year old will die from this??:scared::scared::scared:

Just got mine. Really nice quality. Took some pics outside with my iphone, but with a proper lens you'd be hard pressed to tell it's a model. In fact I sent the pic to a few people and they thought I got another Tesla!

Here are some unboxing pics. I noticed the little square Tesla logo block they included.

dc3486c5ad44949d7f8cf117c7f46221.jpg

f407f07eebc0caabfb85c0bdb1ac549b.jpg

e5a80067fe7f653a6aee005fa2959390.jpg

8d5b7aaed391d2a757f1894a8a33c0de.jpg

da663534e2067d8e5c8a7fca81a350e5.jpg

I also got the Schuco 1:43 model today in the mail as well (ordered before the Tesla 1:18 model was available). It's nice, but none of the doors open. Here are pics of them side by side.

969c92c435c156f02038961bd43a0ef7.jpg

e0aaeeb294c9ff20623249c71f16fbf9.jpg

91503d1849ab177b776b73ac4ec67782.jpg

Personally I have the Pearl white, but this does me just fine!

Last edited:
Gray 1:18 model arrived today - love the details!

IMG_6767.JPG
IMG_6769.JPG
IMG_6774.JPG

Now that makes the collection almost complete (Hotwheels version still to arrive) - and of course the 1:1 scale model! :biggrin:

IMG_6782.JPG
IMG_6775.JPG
IMG_6779.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

How much, rog? You take PayPal?

:)

I wish I could "mass-produce" them - but right now, they are handcrafted pieces, which probably no one would pay for what I would have to ask for them... :scared: :biggrin: