Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0543 is not feeling well...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pressed the local SC on the issue with them not opening the PEM for service about a year or so ago. The head of service here is a one of the original Roadster techs (and we're really fortunate and thankful he's here!), so I do grant him a bit of credibility. His statement was that the PEMs aren't designed ESD-wise for the kind of environment that exists in a service center, so cracking one open could precipitate failures down the road.

Coming from an engineering background, I can see this as probably valid, but I also understand that mitigating the risk is just a matter of some training and some small investment in proper ESD equipment (e.g. wrist straps). Given the increasingly difficult parts pipeline, and the decreasing relative density of Roadsters, we're facing an escalation of two opposing forces. Which one will win out is beyond my pay grade.

Personally I think that is BS. Most of the components are completely covered in sealant, and those that are not are the high voltage, high amperage ones. You have to poke pretty hard just to get a voltage reading on any of the boards.

Contact Gruber before you spend your money.

Tesla Roadster PEM Remanufacturing & Upgrade | eBay

And did they check to see if the cooling hose fell off? The fact that the fan was running and not cooling at all means there was no airflow to the PEM.

Looked in to Gruber, the $4,945 option is to overhaul a working PEM in order to achieve a like-new state and prolong life, they also offer warranties if you pay them to do this. Replacement, sending them a non-working core is $7,495 which is only ~$300 less than Tesla's part quote. The Service Manager told me that the remanufactured ones they get are done in-house in CA but for all I know they might be getting the damned thing from Gruber and marking it up $300. Whatever, it's a negligible difference in the grand scheme of things.

I thought I read that he felt the unit and it didn't seem all that hot. So, perhaps the lack of cooling was because the sensor(s) weren't indicating properly? Just saying, when hardware fails, the resulting symptoms can be unpredictable. But, your point about the cooling hose is extremely important. Even if the PEM is indeed toast, cause should be identified. Things don't often fail for no reason, and the chronological proximity to the service event is interesting, if nothing else.

Greg, you are right on target here. I asked the forum if that was weird that I had my hand on the PEM and it only felt warm while the temp was reading 61C. I don't think anyone ever responded directly to that query but yeah, the Service Manager said he doesn't believe it ever actually overheated. They think something internally fried and took the sensors with it. Weird that once I inhibited APS and let it sit a couple days the temp came down but there were also a couple times that I got erratic readings as well so this explanation doesn't seem far-fetched.

I am still inclined to agree with what many of you are implying, that the proximity of the failure to the annual service is not a coincidence but that's a hunch and there's nothing I can do to prove it. Things fail and coincidences do happen so for me to continue to ask for recourse without anything more than a hunch just doesn't feel right. I did send a plea to the executive team through the owner's portal asking if there is any help they can extend but I have 0 expectations on that front. I did it more out of curiosity on whether they will even acknowledge me than with the expectation of getting help.

Reactions: miimura
Well, time to tie a bow on this thread... Tonight felt like redemption, my friends. Got 543 back from the service center last week and now everything feels like it's fallen into place.

I've happily made my commute a few times and the Wife and I went on the evening cruise we didn't get to some 5 weeks ago. Even found a nice spot in a nearby neighborhood to snap a quick picture :)

fullsizeoutput_19e4.jpeg

I am glad to report that I love this car just as much as the day I bought it (albeit the accounts are a bit lighter than I anticipated).

Looking forward to, and wishing all of you, many happy electric miles! Thanks for all the support :D

Oh dude don’t leave us hanging! What was the final verdict on cause? And I’m with you man, these cars are something special!

Haha fair enough, it was exactly what they said from the start. PEM replaced and they upgraded the fan setup to the single motor version. Thoughts about the policy of not doing internal repairs on the PEM have already been shared so I won't beat a dead horse there. I will say that they under-promised and over-delivered on the total cost including the new fans which was nice, but it still made it to 5 digits after tax.

IMG_1357.JPG

Sport logo on the PEM means I go faster now, right?! :p

• Funny
Reactions: DeedWest