Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Busy week, Extended warranty, door handle failure, HV failure / replacement (increased range)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having owned some 13 Tesla's, most that have never seen a service center, had a busy week with back to back to back issues.

I posted last week of oddly watching my car being driven away with the key fob in my pocket by a Tesla service tech.

Went in last week to purchase the 2 year extended service agreement. This after spending over 5 hours on the phone with Tesla getting the run-around as they were trying to tell me my car wasn't eligible. I am the original owner, car is under 4 years old and well under 50,000 miles. Finally, the next day, they called and said I was eligible. As we know, Tesla hates to take phone calls or do anything in person. They wanted me to wait up to 30 days for my app to update to show it as eligible then purchase it from the app. Because that would have put me within 1 week of the original warranty expiring, didn't want to chance there being a delay when, after all I had to go through, finally they agreed to take my money for the extended warranty (extended service agreement). They sent me a message that "if you insist" you can come in to purchase it at the service center. Not so much that I was "insisting", just that delays with Tesla are quite common and didn't want to chance it.

They scheduled me for about a week out to be able to go in. Was a matter of showing up and paying for the warranty and leaving. This was when the service tech moved my car. However, during that week wait, the driver door handle started having issues. Would close the door and it would open itself back up. Didn't present itself when I walked up. Had to open the rear door to reach in and open the front door. So, while I was there, I scheduled another service appointment. This time though, they scheduled a mobile service appointment to fix it about a week later.

Yet again, during this week wait period, the car completely died in the garage. Called roadside service. Had to push the car down the driveway to the street so it could be loaded onto the flatbed truck.

Turns out, the issue was an HV failure (main battery).

They quoted a turnaround time of approximately two weeks due to having to order parts and the delay in getting those parts.

Today, pleasantly received a call that my car was ready after just 6 days. So apparently the parts (battery pack) came in early.

Out of 13 Tesla's, first time I've had a battery failure,. Read up to see that they typically replace the batteries with similar aged / mileage batteries that should have roughly the same range.

Charged it up to 100% and the car says I have 380 miles. I rarely charge to 100% so struggled to remember what my range was the last time. 320 kept ringing a bell, but I think that was about what I was getting at 90%. I went through my notes as I often keep track of efficiency when going on road trips. Back in 2020, when the car was less than 1 year old, the last time I could find that I charged to 100%, the car stated it had 354 miles of range. So, with the battery swap, I gained 26 miles in range.....at least. Assuming it was likely less being that that was three years ago and it likely degraded since then. Tesla advertises 403 miles for my car, when it was new. So only 5.7% degradation, which really isn't bad. Most of the time, with all my Tesla's, would see 3-4% just in the first few months, then would stabilize and lose 2-3% per year from there on out. My original battery was at 12% degradation after 4 years. 4% right away and about 2% per year for the past four years. Gained about 6% back with the replacement.

All turned out well.

Tesla service can be a real pain in the rear, especially in making the simple things complicated. However, when it comes to the more serious complicated issues, they seem to step up. 10 days ago, the car was fine with no issues in nearly 4 years of ownership. Then the door handle and battery failed within a few days of each other. Today, car is back home, all items repaired, 8 days prior to their original delivery estimate.

Props to Tesla in handling this case.

So did you end up getting the extended warranty after all the delays?

Yes, that's the reason I was at the service center the first time when they drove my car away with the keyfob in my pocket. While I was there purchasing the warranty, is when I scheduled another service appointment for the door handle. A couple days later, just two days prior to the scheduled mobile service, is when the car died completely.

Personally, despite my relatively good luck with no having issues with these cars, I would dare own one that's not under warranty. Most, I've kept 1-2 years. This is the first one I've kept more than 2 years, let alone 4 years and likely to be 6 years as I will sell it before the extended warranty runs out. Just this week's repairs alone would have been in the neighborhood of $25,000 if I didn't have a warranty.

Typically., would have upgraded to the refreshed version by now, but as I've stated in prior threads, just can't get on board with the direction they went with the Model S/X interior. They at least are now offering the full steering wheel, which I see that MOST inventory cars have instead of the Yoke, clearly reflecting that MOST want the full wheel when given the choice. But, for the way I use my car, the blinkers, horn and shifter situation just doesn't work for me. I also still much prefer the vertical screen layout of my car. So unfortunately, it looks like my current Tesla will be my last unless they decide to put stalks back in it and the horn back to the center pad.