Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-Touch Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the touchscreen has multitouch capability?

Even if it doesn't have it now, it would be super-cool to add in a firmware/software update (if the hardware supports it, which I assume it does).

As I was driving home from work today I thought how cool it would be to have some customizable multi-touch functionality. Notwithstanding the controls on the steering wheel, it would be super convenient to make other adjustments using the touchscreen and multi-touch, meaning you wouldn't have to look at the screen at all.

For instance, a two-finger swipe up or down to adjust the air suspension...a two finger swipe left or right to adjust volume...a five-finger pinch to turn off the climate control, etc...

Edit: These gestures would work from any screen...so it's fast and requires no visual attention.

Cool idea. Might possibly be implemented as an app, which could be a blank gesture area with some UI for customizing the gestures to map onto the functions of your choice. Swipes of various kinds (up, down, left, right, 1 finger, 2 fingers, ...) could be to control things in steps (prev/next track/album/artist/etc.) or cycle through options (low/normal regen). Circles could be used for continuous adjustment (clockwise= increase, counterclockwise=decrease) of things like sound volume or pano roof opening. Draw a question mark for help? The gesture area could indicate the gesture being used with some visual feedback, in case you forget or just want to confirm the setting changed.

It goes beyond just a pinch gesture. You could have driver and passenger doing different things at the same time.
The screen is highly responsive. Night and day compared to what Fisker did...

This may have been suggested before, but what about handwriting recognition? Easier than typing, especially while driving :wink:.

Something similar to this from Automotive Digest:

TRW Automotive Holdings Corp. has introduced an infotainment touch pad that can be molded onto the surface of a vehicle’s armrest, steering wheel or dashboard. The touch pad, similar to the finger pad on a laptop that controls the cursor, allows motorists to write numbers or letters with their fingers to issue instructions for the navigation system, radio, smartphone and other infotainment functions.

The killer app is really voice control ie lower car, raise car, cooler, warmer, cabin lights on, call wife, find nearest Starbucks, I am hungry, read me text, read me email, play Coldplay, alarm!, open all windows, close all windows, find my wife's model X, send text.