Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Manual or Schematics for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend has the Chevy Volt and he found all that stuff, tech details and such.... guess not for Tesla.

Possibly from everyone's observations we could sum some of this up. For example, I'm curious about the battery cooling.... Does it run through the front radiator and if so do the lines run on the right side, left side or both? Also about the AC condenser, is that up front where the radiator is or is that the condenser?

My friend has the Chevy Volt and he found all that stuff, tech details and such.... guess not for Tesla....

Sorry for that response. A disadvantage for the tinkerer is that Tesla service is a closed loop. No separate dealer repair network. No powertrain repair shops to need manuals. Until someone defects the company and publishes a Chilton type manual (for all 5 versions of 2,500 hand built cars) we just have observations of dissembled cars, some talkative rangers and advice from those who have done their own wrenching.

With 3 and 4 year warranties expiring this year and next there may a rise in warranty-voiding home repairs. Who knows? Tesla might put something out but frankly I think a company that builds no-maintenance electric car will want to keep the precious little repair business in house as much as possible. Plus, the first owner-caused 400 Volt electrocution will probably see a bricking press reprise.

That's fine about the silly comment, I got a laugh out of it too. I did see pictures of battery swaps and other technical discussions floating around. Possibly one day we can consolidate it in one place. Luckally we don't need all that much maintenance but knowing where things are and how they're routed can be very helpful, especially if a cooling hose begins leaking or any other potential symptom that may lead to bigger issues before the checkup at Tesla is done. Appreciate the feedback.

This forum was one of the reasons I felt comfortable buying my Roadster. Following the work that Tom Saxton, HSharp, rich, and on and on were doing with modifications, reverse engineering the log files, etc I felt confident that if Tesla were to go under that the group here would be able to keep the cars on the road for quite awhile (and maybe even improve them). I expect more tinkering to happen once the cars are out of warranty.

Just curious if anything has popped up since this question was asked.

I am thinking about adding a dash-cam and swapping the radio in my Roadster (maybe concurrently replacing the current (terrible) microphone for hands-free) but will need some guidance how to pull the stereo unit (and if I want to replace the micrphone) probably pull apart the dash.

Looks like no one has mentioned in this thread, but you actually can ask Tesla support for the roadster service manual if you can prove you and your roadster live in Massachusetts, where their 'right to repair' law requires the service manual to be divulged upon request to normal MA residents and not just Tesla certified collision repair centers.

• Love
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture

I am thinking about adding a dash-cam and swapping the radio in my Roadster (maybe concurrently replacing the current (terrible) microphone for hands-free) but will need some guidance how to pull the stereo unit (and if I want to replace the micrphone) probably pull apart the dash.
Elise Dash Removal Instructions By EliseTalk’s Buzzy

Just follow the instructions supersnoop posted. Take your time, it is quite straight forward. Also, search through the forum as many of us who have done this before have left additional helpful hints afterwards (it was helpful to me also). Don't forget to prepurchase the clips to replace on the passenger airbag cover (lotus or tesla parts work) and to move your key fob antenna while the dash is open. I swapped the mic and kept it in the original location. It works well there even with the top off.

Also, while the dash is out is a good time to replace or replace your HVAC vents if the chrome on the ring has worn off.

Enjoy!

Curious if there's a service manual or schematics of the Roadster. I'd like to become familiar with the cooling runs/plumbing as well as where all the major components are located in case any issue arises.
I think the battery coolant is on the passenger side and looks like a heater core. You can access it if you pull the rear passenger wheel liner. The coolant pump is also there. One loop to the batter and one to AC. The AC only runs when hot.

Thank you. That looks a bit more daunting than I thought. Probably a good summer weekend project. ;-)
Disappointing that the service manuals are not generally available. If anyone ever comes across them, I would love to get a PDF copy ...
(Bit annoyed how car manufacturers have you shell out thousands of $$$ but then they nickel and dime you on the service manual and other stuff)