Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricanes and EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found an article on gm-volt.com, in which the driver described his experience with the Volt during an extended power outage from a tropical storm. Since I live in hurricane territory (Louisiana), I wondered if it would be possible to recharge an EV using a home generator in case of such an emergency? What would be the pitfalls (square wave output vs. sinusoidal, current, running out of gas)?

The larger the battery pack you get, the easier it might be but depending on how bad to storm is, hopefully you can find an outlet somewhere in an emergency. Even if it's only a 110V outlet. The Model S can sit at empty for a month before you risk damaging the battery too. While you might not have a car to drive during that time, hopefully getting power restored wouldn't take long.

What's been your experience in the past with how long power is out? Do some of your friends have power when you haven't?

The larger the battery pack you get, the easier it might be but depending on how bad to storm is, hopefully you can find an outlet somewhere in an emergency. Even if it's only a 110V outlet. The Model S can sit at empty for a month before you risk damaging the battery too. While you might not have a car to drive during that time, hopefully getting power restored wouldn't take long.

What's been your experience in the past with how long power is out? Do some of your friends have power when you haven't?

3 days has been my tops so far... Actually that was from a freak ice storm (seems to happen every 20 years or so).

When I lived in rural North Dakota I experienced power outages of a few hours a few times a year, a day or so once every few years, and once for three days after an ice storm. Ice storms are the worst in that part of the country because they take down power lines over a wide area.

As a society we are utterly dependent on the delivery of energy, either as electricity, gasoline, or natural or lp gas. An interruption of any of those will severely affect anyone who uses them, and we all use one or more of them, unless you live in a wood-heated cabin in the woods and never go to town to buy anything. If you want to be safe you have back-ups using different kinds of energy.

Bottom line: If your power is out, your EV won't run, and you'd be well advised not to run it to empty. Leave some charge in it in case the outage is extended. Or install solar or wind power. If the gasoline stops arriving at your gas station, your stinker won't run. If you're concerned about hurricanes, which is more likely to be available after a storm: gasoline or electricity? I don't know the answer to that, but if you live there you probably do.

For severe disaster evacuation bikes are often the best vehicle. Nimble narrow vehicles also do well so motorcycles (low range) and something like the c-1 (lit motors) woould also fare well. But the classic mountain bike is very good, a carbo bike would also work. My velomobile would be good but still could run into rubble issues, absent rubble and blockage issues my velomobile would be great.

After the Japanese earthquake/tsunami, gasoline supplies were interrupted, but electricity was restored in many areas fairly quickly. As a result EVs were pressed into service delivering relief supplies to affected communities.