Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about the Model S charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I have a question about the charging socket that Tesla is using in the Model S. I've seen that its smaller that the regular charging points (the ubiquitous J1772) that we find around the Bay Area. Will the Model S charge from these stations with J1772 sockets? or does it need a new completely different type of charging station?

The reason I ask is because I live in an apartment and plan on charging my Model S at public charging points.

Thanks!

I believe that Tesla should have a place in the side of the trunk next to the charge port where all of the "adapters" can be permanently located. Much better than a bag of adapters that bounces about the car or trunk (boot for you britts) while driving!

Tesla are saying on the website that the adapters are included:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3059&d=1318254827.jpg

plug in.jpg

Nice!

So both ends of the cable need adapters or would the j1772 adapter be on the end opposite the end that plugs into the vehicle? I'm guessing the wall outlet plugs are adapters too? Just trying to picture this, and plan my garage out

So both ends of the cable need adapters or would the j1772 adapter be on the end opposite the end that plugs into the vehicle? I'm guessing the wall outlet plugs are adapters too? Just trying to picture this, and plan my garage out

My guess is that the J1772 adapter and home/campground adapters are very different.
J1772 adapter - just a small stub that plugs into the S charge port, and then the J1772 plug goes into the other side just basically sticking out the side of the car a little bit. No extra cable.

For home use up to 9.6kW (240V@40A) one would use the UMC2, which I gather will be included with every Model S, and use an adapter on the end of the plug end right before it goes into the wall (e.g.: dryer outlet, stove outlet, NEMA14-50, etc.)

If you needed faster home charging then an HPC2 could be installed permanently which (I think) would just have a new Tesla plug on the car end and could do up to 19.2kW charging (240V@80A) assuming you ordered the S with the dual charger option, and have a 100A circuit breaker available.

Does someone knows, the charger being air- or liquid cooled?
That's a good question. The onboard charger is located under the rear seats. How much power do you expect gets sunk as heat? (What's the anticipated efficiency?) Given the location, it not obvious that there is a path for proper air cooling. Is it not enough to be thermally anchored to that large aluminum chassis? I suppose it would be possible to add the charger on the motor/inverter cooling loop, but I haven't heard anyone say anything that would indicate that was the plan.

I sure hope Tesla will start selling parts like a regular car company. The new Tesla connector looks small enough that maybe some old avcon cars could be adapted to use the Tesla inlet. Roadster conversion to the new inlet seems simpler then it would be to J1772. That way the Roadster & Model S owners can have one easy home charger. The more cars which can use the new stuff the better.

That's a good question. The onboard charger is located under the rear seats. How much power do you expect gets sunk as heat? (What's the anticipated efficiency?) Given the location, it not obvious that there is a path for proper air cooling. Is it not enough to be thermally anchored to that large aluminum chassis? I suppose it would be possible to add the charger on the motor/inverter cooling loop, but I haven't heard anyone say anything that would indicate that was the plan.

I'm sensing heated rear seats in our future...

Is there still some federal and/or state tax incentive to installing home chargers?

On Tesla's website under "Go Electric" -> "Incentives" (linky) it says:

A Federal Tax Credit is available, up to 30% of the purchase and installation costs of qualified electric vehicle charging infrastructure acquired in 2011, with a maximum credit of $1,000 for Individuals and $30,000 for Businesses.