Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is going to do a 100D and P100D...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notwithstanding this it is safe to assume it will be a 100, maybe even more. As the silicon anode technology develops capacity rises will be pretty rapid for a couple of years at least, according to my one electrical engineer friend who works with energy storage devices, primarily lithium type. The Holy Grail has been lithium anodes for some time and the 70/90 batteries seem to be doing quite well. Big improvements will benefit from format change, but there's quite a bit to do without changing format. My personal guess is that we'll see around 110 prior to discontinuing the present format.

Wonder who would have posted about such a thing at 3AM this morning...
whistle.gif

Man this is an exciting find! Well done!

I have to wonder if there will be a "One more thing..." addendum to the Model 3 event:

"The Model 3 will go 200 miles on a charge and, starting today, the Model S will go 300 miles on a charge! It's also getting door pockets, LED headlamps, and third generation seats from the Model X!"

Lights dim, cash flows, yada yada yada.

Didn't Elon say for some month ago that a new bigger battery would come 2017 and then a even bigger 2020? It would be very strang if all the people how pay much for a signature haven't the best for more then a month. I wouldn't expect a new battery until at least the end of the year but more likely next year like they have said before.

I don't doubt the development of a 100kWh battery (or even a larger one). What I DO doubt is that Tesla would make it available so soon after debuting the 90kWh packs. How long have they been around? Six months?

Of course, I would be thrilled if they do. I need more range!

I don't doubt the development of a 100kWh battery (or even a larger one). What I DO doubt is that Tesla would make it available so soon after debuting the 90kWh packs. How long have they been around? Six months?

Actually, I think the cadence is about right (the 70kwh was announced 6 months before the 90). I am expecting a 75kwh or 80kwh battery pretty soon to replace the low-end before we see the 100kwh come out though.

Wonder who would have posted about such a thing at 3AM this morning... View attachment 113733

Nobody knows, but I wonder if this person, for posting at this hour of the night, used a computer which electricity that came from a fantastic and exemplar off grid system...:wink: (dreaming of a time when a tremendous majority of people will have a similar system). Thank you to inspiring us Jason and good catch for this "secret".

A few things are starting to come into focus in my crystal ball:
- 3/31 morning PT: Model 3 store reservations open
- 3/31 evening PT: Model 3 reveal
- 4/1 midnight PT: Model 3 online reservations open
- 4/1 noon PT: Tesla website goes down
- 4/2 3:30pm PT: Tesla website comes back up
- 4/2 3:33pm PT: Model 3 reservation buyers rejoice that the website is back up
- 4/2 3:35pm PT: Hank reports "my website noticed unusual things" in the inventory and CPO supply
- 4/2 3:36pm PT: multiple threads reporting price increase on Model S in Design Studio
- 4/2 3:37pm PT: Model S price increase turns out to just be user error
- 4/3 midnight PT: Tesla website goes down
- 4/3 noon PT: Tesla website comes back up with real price increase on Model S
- 4/15 noon PT: P100D shows up on Tesla website (tax day drama!)

Man oh man, the advancements with this car are non-stop. When is the right time to upgrade when you already have this car and just missed out on autopilot? I've told myself it's once autopilot 2.0 comes out but now with this new info it seems the P100D will be before that. And what about a new front end to lose the ugly gaping fish mouth and make it streamlined and stylish like the Model X? Wk057, is there any secret code on that?... ;)

ugly gaping fish mouth
I think it's unnecessary and counterproductive for both the PRO and CON camps regarding the S/X front end to use words like this.

For the record, I find both front ends appealing -- but in different ways. So I'm biased towards both I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Man oh man, the advancements with this car are non-stop. When is the right time to upgrade when you already have this car and just missed out on autopilot? I've told myself it's once autopilot 2.0 comes out but now with this new info it seems the P100D will be before that.
I've thought more than once that Model S is very much like desktop computers at home -- I should consider leasing or something instead of buying so I can always enjoy newer shiny.

Man oh man, the advancements with this car are non-stop. When is the right time to upgrade when you already have this car and just missed out on autopilot? I've told myself it's once autopilot 2.0 comes out but now with this new info it seems the P100D will be before that. And what about a new front end to lose the ugly gaping fish mouth and make it streamlined and stylish like the Model X? Wk057, is there any secret code on that?... ;)

haha, as Elon always says, the right time is:

Enjoy what you have when you get it, I still don't have one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man this is an exciting find! Well done!

I have to wonder if there will be a "One more thing..." addendum to the Model 3 event:

"The Model 3 will go 200 miles on a charge and, starting today, the Model S will go 300 miles on a charge! It's also getting door pockets, LED headlamps, and third generation seats from the Model X!"

Exactly what I was thinking, the "3" theme continuing to "300 miles," this would also mitigate a possible drop in MS/MX demand following the M3 reveal.

I'm betting more cells rather than newer chemistry, the MS has gotten 100lb+ lighter since launch, a new 444 cell module weighs 52lb (without coolant).

That's a good point and I do agree. It seems to be foolish to ship a few brand new X model which they have worked on for years and then immediately release the 100 kWh battery pack.

My 90% range is 224 miles with the P90DL Model X.

A 100 kW battery is very important to help improve Model X range and battery longevity.

That's pretty much the same as what I'm getting with my SP85+. I actually think that's not bad at all.

Last edited: