Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Issues with Auto Dimming: Quick fix without pulling over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 70D, VIN 109xxx with a production date of October 2015: auto dimming mirrors sometimes do not work. I would estimate about 20% of the time. Unfortunately, I usually don't notice this until after I've pulled out of the parking lot to go home at the end of the work day. This hasn't been a big problem since I don't often have someone with high beams behind me, but when it does happen and my auto dimming isn't working (both rear view and side mirrors) it is slightly less than ideal.

Is there a safe, quick fix I can employ while I'm driving? If there was an on/off switch for the auto dimming feature I'd try that as it would resolve the issue in my previous cars, but I'm not aware of this, and a search on this forum tells me there is no on/off switch for the mirrors.

I'd guess you're experiencing the same thing that many of us have. It's not that it's not working 20% of the time but that it doesn't dim far enough about 100% of the time (at least compared to every other car we've had). Several times I've wished for a little knob on the bottom of my mirror to flick it up like the old ones. Anything to reduce the glare from cars behind.

Auto dimming hasn't worked at all in mine for over two years (started out perfect and went to zero sometime during the first year). However, the fix is to put in the hatchback sunscreen. You'll never miss autodimming if you have one of those (your hand covers the driver's side wing mirror, and I've never found the passenger's side wing mirror to be a problem.

I haven't had this problem (yet <g>) but I wonder if rebooting either the dashboard or console computers would fix it. Press and hold the top steering wheel buttons to reboot the dash, and the scroll wheels for the console. You can do it while driving, but don't let the fans coming on and off and the displays blinking distract you.

My mirrors only auto dim correctly if I start driving while it is light out, and continue driving through the transition to darkness. If I get in the car while it is already dark, they don't reliably dim (occasionally, they will dim, but it seems like at reduced effect). Service center has said the are working, despite multiple complaints. I wish I could just click a button to make them dim 100%, because they work nicely when that happens.