Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proof - Rated range dropping due to ambient temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Denarius

Apr 27, 2013
Utah
I've noticed that my rated range at 90% has been slowly dropping moving from autumn into winter. I've speculated that it is due to the temperature of the battery when it completes the charge. I believe I've now proved it.

image.jpeg

My charge level has not moved from 90%. This month I'm down to 219-220 miles on a 90% charge with range mode disabled. To raise the heat of the battery, I turned on "Max Battery Power" then plugged in my car and told the car to charge immediately instead of waiting for my scheduled charge. The result was 224 miles of rated range at 90% with range mode disabled.

I believe this proves that ambient temperature will cause the rated ranged to lower during cold seasons, and increase again as temperatures warm.

I'd like to see others in cold climates repeat this experiment and post their results. In case it matters to anyone, my P85D has about 27k miles on it.

I've noticed that my rated range at 90% has been slowly dropping moving from autumn into winter. I've speculated that it is due to the temperature of the battery when it completes the charge. I believe I've now proved it.

View attachment 107441

My charge level has not moved from 90%. This month I'm down to 219-220 miles on a 90% charge with range mode disabled. To raise the heat of the battery, I turned on "Max Battery Power" then plugged in my car and told the car to charge immediately instead of waiting for my scheduled charge. The result was 224 miles of rated range at 90% with range mode disabled.

I believe this proves that ambient temperature will cause the rated ranged to lower during cold seasons, and increase again as temperatures warm.

I'd like to see others in cold climates repeat this experiment and post their results. In case it matters to anyone, my P85D has about 27k miles on it.

@FlasherZ collected data over a longer period of time during his research of the impact of temperature and rated range here:
Displayed Range and Seasonality

Definitely worth the read.

Indeed it does appear that way. If you want to see it pop right back up, enable max battery about 30 minutes before it finishes charging. You can also do this after it finishes charging and if you're connected to shore power still, the rated range will rise as the battery warms up.

Indeed it does appear that way. If you want to see it pop right back up, enable max battery about 30 minutes before it finishes charging. You can also do this after it finishes charging and if you're connected to shore power still, the rated range will rise as the battery warms up.

Where do you find that setting? Don't see it in the manual.