Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quickcharging in Belgium (DC and AC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

widodh

Model S 100D and Y LR
Jan 23, 2011
Venlo, NL
I just found a dutch weblog where a family is traveling to Italy with a Nissan Leaf, might be fun to read if you understand dutch: Weblog | Electric Vehicle to Italy

But there is something else I found in the blog: Dag 1: Eindhoven Marche-en-Famenne 174km (totaal: 174) | Electric Vehicle to Italy

It says:

Toen hebben we een een lagere modus geprobeerd (400V 63A) en die deed het! (op de paal in Nederland zag je ook wel eens lagere amperages staan, dus ik dacht: “Misschien is dat het wel”) Yesss! Dachten we. Maar na 5 minuten kreeg ik de schrik van mijn leven, want dat was Wisselstroom! En het begon ook een beetje naar warm wordend plastic te ruiken! En de km-teller liep niet op. Snel uitgezet!

(Freely) Translated to English in a nutshell:

We tried a lower mode (400V 63A) and it worked! But after 5 minutes the KM-counter didn't increase. We found out that this fast charger has a seperate AC connector

It seems that Total is placing Fast chargers in Belgium which support Chademo (500V, 125A) AND 3-phase 400V 63A!!!

There should be 12 chargers operational in Belgium.

If these chargers are IEC62192-2 (Type 2) connectors, you should be able to charge with 63A there with a Roadster as well. This PDF shows that the chargers are able to supply 63A 400V, so for the Roadster that is 14kW, but with three-phase charging it would be 44kW.

This is a picture of the charging station at Jambes: http://www.ev2i.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/2011-07-11.jpg-8.jpg

After some searching I found these locations:

Total Port de Bruxelles - Havenlaan 142 - 1000 Brussel
Total Westland - Sylvain Dupuislaan 299 - 1070 Anderlecht
Total Ruisbroek - E19 Parijs-Brussel - 1601 Ruisbroek
Total Pacheco - Pachecolaan 7 - 1000 Brussel
Total Anderlecht - Internationalelaan 11 - 1070 Anderlecht
Total Vilvoorde - Schaarbeeklei, 199 - 1800 Vilvoorde
Total Cambre - Waterloosesteenw. 886 - 1000 Brussel
Total Haren - Haachtsesteenw. 1315 - 1130 Haren
Total Bonaparte - Rijnkaai, 39 - 2000 Antwerpen
Total Cerisiers - William Degouve de Nuncquesstraat 2 - 1030 Schaarbeek
Total Orban - Orbanlaan 193 - 1150 Sint-Pieters-Woluwe
Total Jambes - Av. du Luxembourg, 1 - 5100 Jambes

These stations are paid, you pay 4 euro per 10 minutes of charging.

Last edited:
Hopefully soon Tesla will find a solution for the difference in fast charging (between US & Europe) ...

When I will have my S, it is my intention of traveling not only within a distance of 200km from my home but trough Europe in a reasonable time.. and not having to hold a stop every 300 - 400 km for f.i. a 24 hours charging somewhere at an ordinary 240V plug....

As a last moment decision I went to Brussels today for a IT conference (FOSDEM).

It's 130km from my home, so I took the Roadster from my colleague and saw that there was a Total station just 3km from the venue, so I went there to check if the station worked (for Kevin Sharpe).

Well.... It didn't! When I arrived I noticed a Tesla Roadster HPC so that made me smile, after I bought a 15min card for 4 euro I tried to enter the code on the card. The display didn't respond.

Further inspection of the display showed that the date on it was 6-12-2012 6:32

Seems the whole system was hanging although all lights were green. The guy at the Total station was very friendly, but he wasn't able to reach the helpdesk which could reset it for him, so he gave me my 4 euro back and I charged at the venue where I am right now.

Should the system work, these are the available options:

- 1x 16A 230V (Blue CEE)
- 3x32A 230V (Type 2 socket)
- 63A Tesla HPC
- 125A 400V CHAdeMO

total_charge_tesla_hpc.jpg

total_charge_code.jpg

Many thanks for your help.... such a shame people put complex payment systems in the way that prevent us from charging (and in my case visiting Brussels :confused:).
Well, the system might be reset already and might be working.

He told me that now and then a Roadster comes by to charge there.

I eventually charged with 32A at the University (ULB) where my conference was at.

does anybody know if the Total HPCs are working again? I guess this was just a specific problem with the Brussels charge point but if I travel in my roadster next week to Spa and Zolder, I need to know that it has been working since widodh had the problem!

At the charge stations, from the photos it looks like the only cables present are for the HPC and CHAdeMO... Is there really 2 type 2 sockets with one supplying 63 amp 400 v and one 32 amp 240 v??? They do not look like they are both type 2...

I'm going to France tomorrow, which is a 230km single-trip for me. I'll pass by the Total station Jambes and I'm going to give it a try.

ChargeMap.com says only the CHAdeMO is working, but the Type 2 socket isn't. We'll see when I get there tomorrow.

A guy in the comments said it didn't work with his Zoe, but that was about 6 weeks ago, so I hoped it's fixed by now.

you need a chargecard over there
of plugincompany.be
do not know if it's accesible
Open Charge Map - Location Details: OCM-16590 IKEA Zaventem

near zaventem you have Open Charge Map - Location Details: OCM-18578 Delhaize Brucargo

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to France tomorrow, which is a 230km single-trip for me. I'll pass by the Total station Jambes and I'm going to give it a try.

ChargeMap.com says only the CHAdeMO is working, but the Type 2 socket isn't. We'll see when I get there tomorrow.

A guy in the comments said it didn't work with his Zoe, but that was about 6 weeks ago, so I hoped it's fixed by now.

You can charge at the Tesla servicecenter!!!!!!!!!
Brussels | Tesla Motors

Hey Wido,
As a backup plan consider free charging at the Ikea of Zaventem. It's 11kW only, but better than nothing, you have time for long lunch or dinner.
I don't really need a charge since I will be in France for 3 days where I can charge on 13A.

I just want to see if the charger actually works. When they see people show up to use it, they will become more serious in maintaining it.

It's all about the statistics!
you need a chargecard over there
of plugincompany.be
do not know if it's accesible
Open Charge Map - Location Details: OCM-16590 IKEA Zaventem

near zaventem you have Open Charge Map - Location Details: OCM-18578 Delhaize Brucargo
Ah, I'll skip that one :)

You can charge at the Tesla servicecenter!!!!!!!!!
Brussels | Tesla Motors
3x32A? That would be nice. I might just visit them for a 30 min top-up.

Charge at Total, AVONTUUR

LET OP
mij overkwam de zaterdagochtend, even controleren of de Total Laadstations goed zijn om te laden. Was prima in orde, kaartje kopen aan de kassa ook geen probleem. website Total geeft aan 24h beschikbaar.
Gepland om zondag lunchtijd bij te laden (nog voor 120km in de batterij) om terug naar huis te kunnen. Onrustig gevoel en al om 10:00 gaan checken bij een Totalstation.
KASSA DICHT al vanaf zaterdag 1200 uur tot maandag ochtend. BALEN dus. Brandstoffen wel gewoon met de PINpas en waarom stroom niet?
Love to load app stuurt naar Atomium.
Bij Delhaize een laadpaal. Helaas een Type2 druppeltjes paal (of CHADEMO). Laadtijd 37 uur volgens mijn Tesla.
Verder nog een op Belgieplein 1. Maar niemand daar kan die paal vinden. geen personeel aldaar en geen politie.
Uiteindelijk dankzij een vriendelijke agente en een even vriendelijke bewaker van het hek bij de Mobibeursingang mocht ik binnen de hekken aan een buitenstroomkast met een 3x16 amp aan de Teslakabel laden.
Heerlijk dat een krachtstroompunt voldoende is.
3 uur gehangen (ons geplande museumbezoek deels nog kunnen voltooien) en toen (18:00) voldoende om Breukelen te halen (toekan). daar gegeten en uurtje bijgeladen.
genoeg om thuis te komen.

ik ben zeker dat al die laadpas, moneytizing functies hun honderd keer meer kosten dan daar een gewone stekker te zetten en gratis electriciteit
(dat ze gewoon een switch laten aangaan om hem te activeren desnoods, net zoals je het licht aansteekt)

Teslaclub belgium organises a meetup at the servicecenter. In the invitation they mentioned 2x 32a & 1 16a charger. I do not know if it's 3-phase
I'm there now. Called ahead and I'm charging with 3x26A now (due to 5.6 firmware...)

After that I'll check out the Total station in Namur, not that I really need the charge that hard, but I just want to see if it works.

And it saves me a lot of 13A single phase charging over the weekend.

Last edited: