Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Home Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would start a thread about the cost and logistics of installing your home charger solution.

I'll start it by saying that I am installing a HPWC and a 14-50 outlet in my garage in 2 weeks. The 14-50 is a backup (belt & suspenders:cool:) in case the HPWC fails (not common but has been reported). I ordered my MX with the 72A charger.

I have 200A service and my electrician did a load calculation and advised me that there is no problem installing the 100A breaker for the HPWC and the 50A for the 14-50. The run from the main panel to the HPWC and outlet is short - about 20 ft.

I purchased the HPWC at my local Tesla store (Paramus) for $750. My electrician, who is a friend, has quoted me about $500 complete to run the conduit and install the breakers, charger and outlet.

Thanks! This is a pertinent thread for me now as I've got the go ahead to get some quotes and to make sure our panel can handle adding an HPWC. I would like to do as you and many others have done with the 14-50 also as a back up. Need to decide on placement for both.

I know a 200amp panel is pretty common but would anyone have some general guidelines in determining how much room is available for these additional circuits?

Thanks!

Thanks! This is a pertinent thread for me now as I've got the go ahead to get some quotes and to make sure our panel can handle adding an HPWC. I would like to do as you and many others have done with the 14-50 also as a back up. Need to decide on placement for both.

I know a 200amp panel is pretty common but would anyone have some general guidelines in determining how much room is available for these additional circuits?

Thanks!

Lots of good advice at FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure QA

Here's our Tesla HPWC installed in our garage by Tesla's recommended electrician CESG. Awesome completely hidden wiring to our inside subpanel via a 100A breaker:

original Tesla HPWC installation.jpg

Then I added an eMotorWerks WattBox 200 which enabled us to:

1. "digitally" separately meter our Tesla HPWC... giving us access to SCE's TOU-EV-1 extended Off-Peak hours (9:00PM to 12:00 noon daily) via their PEV Pilot Program. The WattBox measures the HPWC current via a highly sensitive magnetic coil wrapped around our HPWC supply wire. Very simple to install. Its connected to our WiFi which then sends our HPWC charging data to SCE and eMotorWerks. This "virtual" separate meter saved us HUNDREDS of dollars vs. installing a separate "physical" SCE meter & circuit.

2. get details on our EXACT Tesla electrical usage via an eMotorWerks personal WattBox webpage

3. allow OhmConnect to AUTOMATICALLY turn our HPWC off during SCE's "peaker plant" dirty power #OhmHour... and back on again when the #OhmHour has passed. This not only reduces pollution but also earns us OhnConnect points which we can cash in anytime we want. We're already up to 3,408 points = $34.08 credit in 120 days = $8.52 per month off our $100 month average electric bill (higher in winter, dramatically lower in summer with SCE's Summer Discount Plan).

Tesla HPWC with WattBox intallation.jpg

Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - WattBoxâ„¢ 200 - PEV Pilot Package

HPWC was installed on our 200A electric service with the proper electrical permit using our electrician's "load calc". We'll probably need to upgrade to a 400A panel if we add a grid-connected solar system in 2016.

Last edited:
I've read through the HPWC installation guide and referenced FlasherZ's FAQ but didn't see this info in them - if I missed it somehow, apologies beforehand.

But does anybody know if the HPWC can be installed sideways? Or does it have to be in a vertical orientation? I don't have enough vertical space on the garage wall where I'm thinking about installing a HPWC!

I've read through the HPWC installation guide and referenced FlasherZ's FAQ but didn't see this info in them - if I missed it somehow, apologies beforehand.

But does anybody know if the HPWC can be installed sideways? Or does it have to be in a vertical orientation? I don't have enough vertical space on the garage wall where I'm thinking about installing a HPWC!

I don't know of anyone who has installed it sideways. Technically, as long as the instructions don't say you must install vertically, you could do it. Now, that said, if you do it I would suggest finding a way to support the HPWC where it comes out of the unit.

I don't think I've seen a 'sideways' install but I have seen people install on their ceiling. So from a gravity perspective I doubt there is a problem.

I would be careful about how/where you mount the cord holder so as to minimize strain on the cable where it runs into the HPWC housing.

I don't know of anyone who has installed it sideways. Technically, as long as the instructions don't say you must install vertically, you could do it. Now, that said, if you do it I would suggest finding a way to support the HPWC where it comes out of the unit.

I don't think I've seen a 'sideways' install but I have seen people install on their ceiling. So from a gravity perspective I doubt there is a problem.

I would be careful about how/where you mount the cord holder so as to minimize strain on the cable where it runs into the HPWC housing.

Thank you to you both - will ponder the part about how best to support the cord/HPWC. The ugly solution would be a pipe support bracket of some kind but will see if I can think of a more aesthetically pleasing solution.

Thank you to you both - will ponder the part about how best to support the cord/HPWC. The ugly solution would be a pipe support bracket of some kind but will see if I can think of a more aesthetically pleasing solution.

Any kind of 'solid' support will simply move the point of strain and potential damage down the cable. I think you will want some sort of flexible conduit to gently curve the cable from horizontal through a 90 degree curve to vertical.

The other thing that I would worry about is cooling. Often when the orientation is changed, the convective cooling does not work as and designer assumed.

So just to update, my electrician (who is a close friend) finished the installation last night. I am lucky in that my panel is in the garage on the same wall as the HPWC, so it was only about a 15-20' run from the panel to the HPWC. He was able to move a couple of low draw circuits together to free up the 2 circuit breaker spots needed for the 100amp breakers, so no sub-panel. We installed the 14-50 "backup" outlet directly below the panel. Worked out great - now all I need is a car to plug into it.:crying: - hopefully end of February.