Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1pinhigh

Ordered Mar 8 | White | Cream | 5 Seats | 22"
Jul 7, 2021
Kansas
I have a 2022 Model X that we keep getting an odd charging error with and was wondering if anyone else is or has seen before. We're using the HPWC charger on a 60 amp breaker, so charging at 48 amps. We'll get an application notification from the car that charging has "stopped" unexpectedly and that if we want to continue charging need to plug the car in again. When looking at the application, the car is still charging, sometimes at the 48 amps, other times it's been reduced to 32 amps, which can't be changed.

We've recently moved and have seen the error at both our previous home as well as at the new one. In both cases the circuits were installed by a professional electrician, so that's not the issue. I'm leaning towards a defective charger since the trouble has occurred at both locations. There's no rhyme or reason as to when we see it and when we don't. It doesn't happen every time we charge, but it does occur probably 75-80%.

Thanks, in advance, for any insights.

Either the Wall Connector or the charger in the car itself. Unfortunately it is hard to charge at another random 48A EVSE since most public J1772 chargers top out at 32A. I would either look for a friend of who has A 48A Wall Charger to run a test or use PlugShare.com or Tesla.com Find Us to find Tesla destination chargers in your area, some of them might be set up for 48A charging.

Reactions: bruce3
In both cases the circuits were installed by a professional electrician, so that's not the issue.
We are all getting a big laugh out of this, although you didn't intend it so. That means nothing, and we have seen some pathetic, wrong, dangerous, and code-violating things from professional electricians. You've got problems. It's worth checking everything, so don't rule that out.

We are all getting a big laugh out of this, although you didn't intend it so. That means nothing, and we have seen some pathetic, wrong, dangerous, and code-violating things from professional electricians. You've got problems. It's worth checking everything, so don't rule that out.
While I fully agree that snippet by itself seems to grant professional electricians more credit than is due, given the OP states this issue has occurred at two different homes, as long as it wasn't the *SAME* professional electrician doing the installs, I'd agree with the OP sentiment that 2 separate houses with professionally installed 60 AMP circuits indicate that is not likely the issue. Of course like you said I wouldn't 100% rule it out but just look elsewhere first.

Either the Wall Connector or the charger in the car itself. Unfortunately it is hard to charge at another random 48A EVSE since most public J1772 chargers top out at 32A. I would either look for a friend of who has A 48A Wall Charger to run a test or use PlugShare.com or Tesla.com Find Us to find Tesla destination chargers in your area, some of them might be set up for 48A charging.

Additionally, it might be worth lowering the charge rate to 45A or so (from the car if needed or the charger itself if that can limit) just in case the charger's (or car's) behavior is marginal at peak rate. I've certainly seen my share of older Level 2 chargers that flake out when using maximum rate but run reliably when I drop the speed by 5-10%, have even seen this with Level 1 charging way back with my first EV, a 2014 Chevy Volt (which had built in ability to do location based 110 Volt charging of 8 or 12 Amps or something like that).

Reactions: avesraggiana
Yup! I wonder if the side of the electrician's truck read... "Sparky's Electrical Service, drain cleaning and gardening" :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: avesraggiana
Additionally, it might be worth lowering the charge rate to 45A or so (from the car if needed or the charger itself if that can limit) just in case the charger's (or car's) behavior is marginal at peak rate. I've certainly seen my share of older Level 2 chargers that flake out when using maximum rate but run reliably when I drop the speed by 5-10%, have even seen this with Level 1 charging way back with my first EV, a 2014 Chevy Volt (which had built in ability to do location based 110 Volt charging of 8 or 12 Amps or something like that).

I followed your advice last night and lowered amperage from the maximum of 72 amps to 68 amps. Car started on schedule (midnight), and completed the charge to my preset 80%. Worked like a charm!

Thanks so much.

Reactions: bruce3 and Rocky_H