Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gonna bail - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I'm going to bail on the X. Very likely I wouldn't be able to get one until mid to late next year (who knows with Tesla at this point) and I've been on the fence about spending $100k+ on a car even though I can afford it relatively easily. I grew up pretty poor and it just seems excessive. Opulence, I has it. Sure, it's a super cool car but in the end it's a mode of conveyance from point A to B. I have a motorcycle to thrill me with acceleration and for the money I won't be spending could add a few more :)

Maybe in a few years. The S sits a little too low for my tastes (plus the $100K thing) so I prolly go another route and observe with interest. Anyone else opting out?

We thought about bailing, but there's nothing else out there.

We could buy out our leased Toyota Rav4 EV and get 90-130 miles per charge and have an actual SUV (not a CUV like the X is), but the Rav4 EV is a compliance car and we don't trust Toyota to support it. Plus it's had a history of technical glitches and we'd rather not wait for our turn to have it die on the highway.

We could get the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV... oh, wait - that's still not available in the U.S.! And the 2017 model (assuming it actually arrives) will reportedly only have a 12 kWh battery.

We could get the Porsche Cayenne S eHybrid PHEV, but that has less EV mileage than the Mitsubishi.

We could get the luxurious Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine, but its 9.2 kWh battery doesn't have enough all-electric range to get my wife to work and back without using gas.

We could get the Mercedes-Benz GLE550e or BMW X5 xDrive40e PHEV, but those have worse EV mileage than the Volvo.

We could get a Chevy Volt or Cadillac ELR, but those are compact cars and my wife wants an SUV. (If only Chevrolet or Cadillac had released an SUV Voltec in the past 6 years since the Volt was released! GM is so dumb.)

We could wait for the Chevy Bolt, but that's really kind of a joke except for the range.

We could get a 2016 Leaf, but that only gets 100 miles and it's also not an SUV.

We could get the BMW i3, but that gets less mileage than the Leaf and also isn't an SUV (although it may actually sit as high as the Model X!! D'oh!)

There is nothing else available (nor will there even be anything else available in the near term) that combines a 250-mile EV range with seven adult seats and insane 0-60 times. As much as I'd love to see the Infiniti QX60 get fitted with batteries, it ain't gonna happen. And all the "Tesla killers" from Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, etc. that have been "announced" are more than two years away... if they're ever built at all.

So Model X it is, even though it's not as big as we want, doesn't sit as high as we want, doesn't have some of the luxury features we want, and costs the same as a house. Hopefully in three years when our lease is up there will be an embarrassment of SUV EV choices. But for now, the Model X is the only game in town.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I've received positive reputation since for "daring to speak up amongst all the fanboys" :)

It always cracks me up when I see statements like this - plenty of critical threads on this forum (which by definition will attract the most ardent supporters), moderators keep it civil if forum members cannot - yet people act like they are a single warrior facing the infidels!

I cancelled my reservation a couple of days ago.
Funnily enough I've received positive reputation since for "daring to speak up amongst all the fanboys" :)

It's totally legit to cancel. Maybe not as totally legit to go in the investors forum and rant and post stuff like "Tesla will be bancrupt in 12 months" without any facts or analysis to back it...

I think I'm going to bail on the X. Very likely I wouldn't be able to get one until mid to late next year (who knows with Tesla at this point) and I've been on the fence about spending $100k+ on a car even though I can afford it relatively easily. I grew up pretty poor and it just seems excessive. Opulence, I has it. Sure, it's a super cool car but in the end it's a mode of conveyance from point A to B. I have a motorcycle to thrill me with acceleration and for the money I won't be spending could add a few more :)

Maybe in a few years. The S sits a little too low for my tastes (plus the $100K thing) so I prolly go another route and observe with interest. Anyone else opting out?
Nope. Clicked the "Order" button about 12 hours ago. :)

Not bailing ..but would be interested however in hearing what you ultimately decide to go with (assuming you are still in the market for a vehicle if you bail on the X) and how you look back on your decision say 1 year from now. Who knows, a lot can happen in a year. Could be helpful for folks on the fence and/or of the same mindset.

Last edited:

Great call, $100k for a car is way too much.

(Looks like I just moved up a spot in line for mine.)

It's an interesting business model to miss deadlines, but still invite your customers to obligate themselves to purchase your product with little or no communication or detail on what they are purchasing.

For a product that is selling for $80k+ --- all the more interesting.

Was in Portland over the weekend and stopped by a Tesla store. Was able to easily have an extended test drive of an S --- but that's not the right vehicle for me for a number of reasons. The staff there were very nice, but I knew more about the X than they did (I logged in to my Tesla account and they looked at the X's design studio with me.)

I was able to check out what the paint colors look like on the S --- but I'm not going to commit to a purchase until there are test drive opportunities for the X.

Who knows? I may join you in bailing as well. Communication is not Tesla's forte.

I've been on the fence about spending $100k+ on a car even though I can afford it relatively easily. I grew up pretty poor and it just seems excessive

Excessive is relative. Our neighbours spend more on their lifestyles (home reno's, trips, extra vehicles) than we do, so we feel perfectly fine having a Tesla Model S in our driveway.

You already said you own a bike (that you likely don't commute in) as a fun toy, so what's the big deal?

So GLAD we got the Tesla earlier this year, makes all the winter road trips easier and more interesting. Never a dull moment, always someone wanting to know more about the car everywhere we go.

We could get the Mitsubishi Outland PHEV... oh, wait - that's still not available in the U.S.! And it has worse EV mileage than the Volvo.

Worse EV range??

The Outlander PHEV 2016 should get about 20-25 miles of EV range (using estimate of 33% less than NEDC). I'm pretty sure that's more EV range than the Volvo.

Outlander has a 12kWh battery while Volvo's is only at around 9.2kWh iirc.

And it's just five months away (May 2016) for buyers in NA.

I would also argue it's a bargain and more refined (mid-cycle update for 2016 version) compared to other PHEVs.

Last edited:
I struggled with the "X Question" also - my direction at this point is that I plan to order a Model S this spring (after the LEAF goes back), and drive that for 2 - 3 years - by then the Model X should have settled down (initial bugs worked out in product and process, and order queues of a reasonable length) - then trade in the S for the X, if I still want the X. Who knows, I might decide the S has everything I want (still, therefore I would need to retain my SUV for trailer towing, argh)...

Still in Limbo Land on ordering. Want folding second row seats. Need to do a comparison between X and S (moving between the two) to decide if should (could) jump to the S or wait out Tesla for the folding seats on the X. It may be moot to even have a reservation at this point unless you are going with a P or have an early order 90D.

I'm still on board... if it was totally up to me I would have hit ORDER and then CONFIRM 2 seconds later... but the Mrs. has to be fully onboard to pull the trigger. Hoping its this week. To me personally, there isn't really another option. We always talked about getting a luxury SUV now that we have 2 kids (1 year old twins) and when you price out the Q7's or Escalades or X5's your already at 70-80k... and you live at the gas station. I'm at the point where I don't want to drive a gas car ever again - this 3 year wait has made it painfully more evident. I plan on having this X for a very long time with hopes of only having to do a battery upgrade in the future to increase range, so to me, the price is justified. Paying a lot up front for years and years of enjoyment for the whole family.

Audi says it has an electric SUV that will rival the model X... and it has 4 seats! Where are you going to go on road trips? rely on destination charging? have fun with that. And it's more than 2 years away. Same goes for Porsche, their 4-seater mission E will compete with the S, not the X.

All in all, Tesla offers a more complete package and everyone I know who has a S says its best car they ever had. It's time to get on board. The price hurts for sure, but to me in the long run it will be worth it!