Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sure on which Tires to purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maaz

Oct 6, 2014
Torrance
Hey guys, i have a P85 with 21" wheels. Not willing to go down to 19"s. My current continentals were recently put on my vehicle before i purchased and they have lasted me over 12k miles so far plus whatever the previous owner drove. Got a call today from service center saying they recommend i get new tires. I told them not to install any so i could shop around. from what I've read Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires seem to be a popular choice and aren't too pricey. Are there any other tires that i should consider? I am just looking for 21 tires that will last a good bit more than others, not be too expensive and have reasonable handling. Ive also heard some tires provide more range? I live in Los angeles California in case weather is determining factor for others.

Hey guys, i have a P85 with 21" wheels. Not willing to go down to 19"s. My current continentals were recently put on my vehicle before i purchased and they have lasted me over 12k miles so far plus whatever the previous owner drove. Got a call today from service center saying they recommend i get new tires. I told them not to install any so i could shop around. from what I've read Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires seem to be a popular choice and aren't too pricey. Are there any other tires that i should consider? I am just looking for 21 tires that will last a good bit more than others, not be too expensive and have reasonable handling. Ive also heard some tires provide more range? I live in Los angeles California in case weather is determining factor for others.
I can only give you my opinion, I had the Continental Extreme contact 21's and after 8000 miles and two rotations they were very noisy. Switched to the Continental Silents and after 4000 are wearing well and very quiet. Rotated at 3500 and trying a new rotation scheme, moved the rears to the fronts and the fronts to the rear but cross rotate those. Next rotation I will do the reverse. Did this because I had some cupping on the original extreme contact, so trying to keep this to a minimum.

The Michelin MXM4 Primacy lasted 60k miles on my non-P 85. The Goodyear lasted 20k miles less. I just got Pirelli P7 on my rear wheels. So far I like them. Definitely not a performance tire, but it's supposed to last very long. Living in Los Angeles with 340 dry days of the year I think we don't have to worry too much about grip in bad weather :)

Their site is a mess! 169 is for a much smaller tire than you need. I finally found the fronts (245/35/21) for 367.00 each. If they have the rears (265/30/21), they will be much more.

I went with Hankook V12 Ventus 2 (I may have the name wrong or out of order-sorry) I did 245 up front and 275 in the back (they don't have a 265). No problem with fit. They have been the most affordable ones that I have found. There are very few to choose from in that fitment: Michelin, Continental, Hankook, Pirelli (I think?) may be it. I have been happy with them. They have worn better than my Michi PS2's, which only gave me 9K mi. They handle very well and meet all of my needs, but do slip under a launch more than the Michi's. They are quieter too. They seem to be great in wet. But don't even think of trying them in snow or cold below 35! I expect 15K mi max out of these. Part of the game with this size. Check out Tire Rack for info on them.

I believe they cost me 1,200.00 installed, compared to 2K for stock replacements. Nice savings. I like them.

I also put the Hankook Hankook V12 Ventus 12 evo2s on my P85+ and like them a lot.

Definitely a summer+rain tire only.. not for snow or cooler temps (below 40 degrees).

Their site is a mess!

The link posted was a mobile-optimized website (with a m. in front of the domain name). Try the standard US desktop site here: http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/pilot-super-sport.html
... but it's actually not all that much better!!

SuperSports are the tires to get now, especially if you're not staggard because they have a pro-rated 30,000 mile warranty.
They are very good for street grip and relatively quiet.

The V12 evo2 are also very good, but not sure what their warranty is. They're cheaper and more than enough tire for street driving.