Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people always say "never range charged" is that a bad thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all practical purposes it doesn't matter. In fact, if the car was never "range charged" (or "max charged" to 100%) then the range estimate is likely mis-calibrated and reading low. These sellers are presuming that their cars have less battery degradation because they have never charged the battery to 100%, but they would have no way to actually prove it. The only way to determine battery health is to ask the service center for a particular car's CAC value and compare against the CAC value of a brand new delivery. I've read in the forums that a healthy, brand new 85 kWh pack should have a CAC value of 155-160.

For all practical purposes it doesn't matter. In fact, if the car was never "range charged" (or "max charged" to 100%) then the range estimate is likely mis-calibrated and reading low. These sellers are presuming that their cars have less battery degradation because they have never charged the battery to 100%, but they would have no way to actually prove it. The only way to determine battery health is to ask the service center for a particular car's CAC value and compare against the CAC value of a brand new delivery. I've read in the forums that a healthy, brand new 85 kWh pack should have a CAC value of 155-160.

AR - probably a dumb question but does "CAC" value mean?

Doing a range charge is bad if you don't use it in short order.
If the car sits with a high state of charge (or a very low one for that matter) for a long period of time, it is a bad thing.

Aside from that, there is a lot of FUD out there, which is why a lot of people think they should never do a range charge. It is like manually quitting all of your apps on your iPhone, which does nothing really, and is based on incomplete information.

I asked Tesla to provide the 100% charge range on the CPO S85 we put down a deposit for (and bought) earlier this year.
They did not respond to this request. It had me slightly concerned, so that on delivery, we parked at the supercharger and range charged it right there and then.
Upon seeing the range listed, I calmed down and realized that our CPO car was just as good as any other Tesla for age/distance travelled.
Our Tesla is charged to 80% or 90% nightly depending on the day of the week.
We range charge prior to every 250+km road trip we take, usually I do that with the phone App, sometimes I eyeball the charging required and set up delayed charge during the night.
Our car has reported MORE range at 100% just last week, than it did when we picked it up mid-summer.

All this to say, it's not an issue. Range charge when you need to, and otherwise charge to 80-90%.

It is like manually quitting all of your apps on your iPhone, which does nothing really, and is based on incomplete information.

Ugh, no kidding. Whenever my g/f's (college aged) daughter gets a hold of my iPhone, the first thing she does is "close" all the "open" apps. No matter how much I tell her that's an "old thing" and doesn't matter any more, it just doesn't change. I try to explain those aren't "open" apps, but just "most recently used" apps. No difference. For years now, she always does it to anyone's phone she might need to borrow.

Ugh, no kidding. Whenever my g/f's (college aged) daughter gets a hold of my iPhone, the first thing she does is "close" all the "open" apps. No matter how much I tell her that's an "old thing" and doesn't matter any more, it just doesn't change. I try to explain those aren't "open" apps, but just "most recently used" apps. No difference. For years now, she always does it to anyone's phone she might need to borrow.
Argh. I won't take this discussion farther than this: in 2012, I travelled accross the border, with a triple broken leg, to do a session where I showed what actually happens on the phone when you quit an app. Using Xcode, you can see which apps are actually running (about 1 to 3 at the time).

But I think the point isn't whether it's a recently opened app or a running app. The question is does it a) use up battery and/or b) slow down iOS? I've always shut down all apps like HLR's g/f's daughter but after reading this thread and doing some online research I've learned I've been wasting my time.

But I think the point isn't whether it's a recently opened app or a running app. The question is does it a) use up battery and/or b) slow down iOS? I've always shut down all apps like HLR's g/f's daughter but after reading this thread and doing some online research I've learned I've been wasting my time.
You are welcome. The question is: what will you do with that time from now on?

Same for those that actively spent time avoiding the occasional range charge! You can now drive farther without charging and not feel bad about it.
(See! Back on topic. Don't thank me, I do it for the children.)

You are welcome. The question is: what will you do with that time from now on?

Same for those that actively spent time avoiding the occasional range charge! You can now drive farther without charging and not feel bad about it.
(See! Back on topic. Don't thank me, I do it for the children.)

I just noticed an exception to the rule about not needing to close iOS apps. Most GPS, music, and radio apps keep running even when they are not in focus which is a data killer when you're on a cell connection. Those need to be shut down.