Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard top VS Soft top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is more to it than weight alone, but the hard top is actually lighter than the soft top. I remember a decade ago when the S-2000 was new, and the track-tested top speeds were faster with a top than without. The absolute top speed, though, was with the side-view mirrors removed. I can't help but imagine that the Roadster mirrors have even more drag than the S-2000.

I'm still waiting for the quieter freeway ride from my hardtop...

My hard top is heavier than my soft top.

I finally weighed both of my tops today. The hard top is heavier, as I'd expected (I believe I've seen a post in another thread indicate the opposite like quoted below), but obviously both are light.
Hard top: 22 pounds
Soft top: 12 pounds
[soft top included support slats, but not bag, since I never keep the bag in the car and none of this adds significant weight]
[Note: my hard top is a clear coat one. I assume that there might be some significant difference in the production process, but wouldn't think that there would be a significant weight difference from a non-clear-coat one. Someone should weigh a non-clear-coat one and post here if it is significantly different.]

There is more to it than weight alone, but the hard top is actually lighter than the soft top...

Hard top: 22 pounds
Soft top: 12 pounds
Thanks, man. My Tesla salesman told me that the hard top was lighter. He quoted 8 lbs for the hard top and 12 lbs for the soft top. But he's gotten a number of other technical details wrong, too, so I guess I should weigh these for myself (although I don't have the proper scales - I'd have to weigh myself with and without the top, and that's not terribly accurate).

What tech did you use to weigh your tops, and did you get tenths of a pound in accuracy?

... I'd have to weigh myself with and without the top, and that's not terribly accurate).

What tech did you use to weigh your tops, and did you get tenths of a pound in accuracy?

I weighed the tops by holding each while on my bathroom scale. I'd bet each is accurate to within a pound or two. I believe my scales displays in 0.2 pound increments; the values I got were 22.2 and 12.2 and I rounded them for my previous post.

the values I got were 22.2 and 12.2 and I rounded them for my previous post.
I just weighed my soft top, and got 13 or 14 lbs, but my bathroom scale has whole pound increments. That's not terribly accurate, so I'm not about to remove my hard top for such a coarse measurement. At this point, I might as well report the weight in cats. The soft top is 1 cat, and I presume the hardtop is 2 cats.

...That's not terribly accurate, so I'm not about to remove my hard top for such a coarse measurement. At this point, I might as well report the weight in cats. The soft top is 1 cat, and I presume the hardtop is 2 cats.

It's plenty accurate enough to verify that your salesman was way off and the hard top is significantly heavier than the soft top, but that both are fairly light.

By just lifting one after the other I could easily tell which was heavier before I had a scale available.

[Note: my hard top is a clear coat one. I assume that there might be some significant difference in the production process, but wouldn't think that there would be a significant weight difference from a non-clear-coat one. Someone should weigh a non-clear-coat one and post here if it is significantly different.]

Supposedly the clear coat CF hard tops are significantly heavier than the body colored ones. At least that's what I heard unofficially from Tesla folks back when people were still waiting for their tops. Would be interesting to have a measurement.

Supposedly the clear coat CF hard tops are significantly heavier than the body colored ones. At least that's what I heard unofficially from Tesla folks back when people were still waiting for their tops. Would be interesting to have a measurement.

I had wondered if they maybe built them about the same and added essentially a decorative layer or two to create the clear coat ones, but I wouldn't have thought they'd end up anywhere near doubling the weight. Considering how thin and flexible mine is, I'll be really impressed if the non-clear-coat ones are significantly lighter.

Last edited:
I had wondered if they maybe built them about the same and added essentially a decorative layer or two to create the clear coat ones, but I wouldn't have thought they'd end up anywhere near doubling the weight. Considering how thin and flexible mine is, I'll be really impressed if the non-clear-coat ones are significantly lighter.
That's a really good point.

I also imagine that the body-color hardtops still have a standard auto body clear coat to protect the paint. It would not be as thick as the carbon fiber coating, because the body color paint surface is much smoother.

In any event, I hope to weigh my body color hardtop some time soon. My joke about weighing 2 cats was assuming that the other measurement presented was accurate, despite being done with a bathroom scale.