Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla learn from Volkswagen ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Motor Trend just achieved a 2.6 seconds 0-60 and 10.9 seconds quarter mile which NO OWNER was able to achieve I am wondering if Tesla has learned from Volkswagen.

The software detects when the car is tested and only then unleashes the full power ??

This is PD HP/Performance thing is getting worse every day.

As Motor Trend just achieved a 2.6 seconds 0-60 and 10.9 seconds quarter mile which NO OWNER was able to achieve I am wondering if Tesla has learned from Volkswagen.

The software detects when the car is tested and only then unleashes the full power ??

So... you're complaining that Motor Trend was able to get better performance than Tesla advertises?

Magazine's instrumented tests are different from what an owner will observe. They usually do a bunch of corrections before they arrive at a set of performance numbers. I'm not sure how you do the weather correction for an electric vehicle that isn't affected by humidity, air pressure, and temperature (to a certain extent).

That's a rather serious accusation. MT was testing a performance metric, not emissions. The car wouldn't know it was being 'tested'. The only way this would happen is if you are saying Tesla gave MT a rigged car then that's equally as serious. What's your evidence?

That's silly .Don't you think if Tesla can actually get 2.6 seconds 0-60, they'd advertise that instead of 2.8 seconds? That would increase sales. That would benefit Tesla. There is 0 benefit to Tesla do downplay its 0-60 times.

Whereas, there is a lot of benefit to Volkswagen to reduce it's emissions (and lie), because they can sell more cars that way.

That's silly .Don't you think if Tesla can actually get 2.6 seconds 0-60, they'd advertise that instead of 2.8 seconds? That would increase sales. That would benefit Tesla. There is 0 benefit to Tesla do downplay its 0-60 times.

Whereas, there is a lot of benefit to Volkswagen to reduce it's emissions (and lie), because they can sell more cars that way.
The reason Tesla may not advertise 2.6 seconds is that this can only be achieved under certain conditions (Road and Track test) and if some random guy goes to the track and only gets 2.8 seconds then he will be all over this forum complaining that "Tesla lies".
Best for Tesla to be conservative.
I have not read all of the threads of "discrepancies" in HP and time trials but I've read enough to understand that these numbers are not absolute but depend on a lot of variables (tires, altitude, temperature, track condition/dyno setup, driver, software version, etc.). Some people have taken this variation to mean that "Tesla lies". I take this variation to be just that, variation in measuring something that has a lot of uncontrolled/uncontrollable variables.
I understand that there is not one absolute answer to HP and time performance. My 85D was sold with an advertised 0-60 of 5.2 seconds and 391 HP. A few weeks after delivery a software update revised this to an advertised 0-60 of 4.4 and 420 HP. I have seen random guys post their track times of 0-60 of sub 4 seconds for this car.
I've never considered taking the car to a dyno or track to test it. I understand that there is no absolute hard and fast measurement of HP and time performance. I can live with that and, in fact, I don't worry about it at all.
The car is incredibly fast. I am happy.

They did advertise it in a manner of speaking, in that Elon tweeted and quoted the results. I'm very interested in how the numbers happened, and whether it'll be easily reproducible in both the P85DL and P90DL since I'm still on the fence about upgrading.

I take this variation to be just that, variation in measuring something that has a lot of uncontrolled/uncontrollable variables.

The car is incredibly fast. I am happy.

^^^This, well said. In the IT field, sales reps and geeks can argue about MIPs, cycle times, megaflops and performance benchmarks all they want. As long as I get a laptop that makes me happy, I'm cool with it. Anybody who cares about these numbers can figure this out and do their own apples-apples analysis and believe what they want. As long as what Tesla claims is true in at least one interpretation of those numbers, it's, imho, completely inappropriate to accuse them of intended deception.