Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car exited production, now DS is unresponsive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS originally contacted me shortly after I ordered my model S, and I have communicated with him a bit, though the last communication with him happened on October 12th. On October 26th, the car exited production, and on the same day, I sent my DS an email asking some questions about additional equipment and pricing.

Previously, my DS has responded within hours, or at worst the next business day. We are now at the end of the third business day since I emailed him, and nothing.

Should I worry, and who should I contact? I'm located in Norway.

Not sure about norway, but my DS here in the states was very unresponsive to emails. It'd take days/week to get a response. When I called him, he returned my call within an hour. Have you picked up the phone?

This is SOP.
you should have no worries.
what do you want to know?
the car is being built and then it will be taken apart, shipped to europe where it will be reassembled then delivered.
until the final days of scheduled delivery don't expect much in the way of communications.

I want to find out what options I will have for stuff like center console to be delivered with the car, what the cost would be etc. As it is a significant departure from the response rate I've been seeing previously, I was worried. I'll give it some more days before I start worrying.

Part of the issue is that, unlike in the US, there is no information about stuff like center console, sun screen and other addons available on their website.

I want to find out what options I will have for stuff like center console to be delivered with the car, what the cost would be etc. As it is a significant departure from the response rate I've been seeing previously, I was worried. I'll give it some more days before I start worrying.

Part of the issue is that, unlike in the US, there is no information about stuff like center console, sun screen and other addons available on their website.
for a console you could visit the tesla website, there aren't too many "tesla" options they can add post production, try the aftermarket sites

I like the Tesla console insert, so I'll be going for that. As for other post production options, my point is that while they are listed on the US website, they are not on the Norwegian website, nor is any information about what post production options are available in Norway.

I like the Tesla console insert, so I'll be going for that. As for other post production options, my point is that while they are listed on the US website, they are not on the Norwegian website, nor is any information about what post production options are available in Norway.
what post production options are you referring to? there really aren't any beyond the consoles for the front and rear.

Considering the hype/expectation after purchasing a nice car, they should at least respond to emails. My DS didn't either, and I'm on a different continent.

Like someone said in another thread, they have a great product and terrible customer service. If we had to choose one over the other, I'd take it the way it is.

what post production options are you referring to? there really aren't any beyond the consoles for the front and rear.
In Norway, there is exactly zero information available about what options exist. From the US site I see that a number of options are available, such as:
-Front and rear console
-Roof sunshade
-Interior sets
-Frunk organizer box
-Tire tote
-Wheel lock set
-Dual charger w/installation

There are a number of other options available from the US site, yet no information about what's available on the Norwegian site. The logical POC is the DS, who doesn't respond. That is certainly not what I expect when dropping the better part of a million NOK on a car.

I would also add that when I asked my local service center about the center console, they said the lead time was three to four weeks. Since my car is due to be delivered late november/december, that means that time is running out on having it installed before delivery, and I will be seriously annoyed if I have to turn the car in at a SC to have it installed because my DS didn't do his job.

I suggest you contact Tesla using the Contact button that hopefully exists at the bottom of Norway's main Tesla web page like it does ours in the US. Also, our US store FAQ says "Do you ship to my country? We recommend ordering directly from a Tesla Store or Tesla Service Center[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] in your country for faster delivery and less expensive shipping options."[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It's helps our soul to post here and get comments, but since TMC isn't an official Tesla Site, none of the responders here can likely offer true help in your situation unless another person from Norway maybe jumps in with a suggestion. IMHO, since you don't have an in-country Tesla Store, it's time to try another route like calling your Service Center directly, or escalating within Tesla Sales the challenges you are having. Good luck.[/FONT]

Thanks, @BertL, I might do that. I'll give the DS until end of business Monday, and if I've still not heard from him, I'll look into other options.

Venting steam here does wonders for my frustration level, though, and knowing that it's pretty much SOP is reassuring, even though the fact of said SOP is annoying.

Considering the hype/expectation after purchasing a nice car, they should at least respond to emails. My DS didn't either, and I'm on a different continent.

Like someone said in another thread, they have a great product and terrible customer service. If we had to choose one over the other, I'd take it the way it is.

Aren't they typically young people? Probably best to "text them" as they may not use email much. I have a feeling that DS are typically either college interns or maybe just out of business school looking to work at a name-company. I doubt that some work that job for more than a year as it can possibly be quite a lot of constant questions from customers about timeframes which they themselves cannot control other than to "put pressure on" to get things done a little faster. I have to guess Model 3 will not use DS - they would be crushed by the buying community with questions.

Aren't they typically young people? Probably best to "text them" as they may not use email much. I have a feeling that DS are typically either college interns or maybe just out of business school looking to work at a name-company. I doubt that some work that job for more than a year as it can possibly be quite a lot of constant questions from customers about timeframes which they themselves cannot control other than to "put pressure on" to get things done a little faster. I have to guess Model 3 will not use DS - they would be crushed by the buying community with questions.

FWIW, my DS was certainly not old, but not a youngster either -- a true mid-age professional. Interestingly, Mike has been an MS Owner for 3+ years and a DS for 2+ years. ...and absolute gem do deal with, representing Tesla beyond my expectations. Even on his days off, he checked and responded to email inquiries from his clients like me. I have nothing but stellar things to say about my experience with him here at the San Diego Service Center -- and just wish he could be cloned for everyone to experience his service around the world.

I know experiences will vary, and while I do believe Tesla likely has a larger percentage of younger folks that are not hung up on the past and want to help change the world for the better perhaps, I wouldn't go so far as to suggest any generalities in Tesla employee demographics. I do agree though, responsiveness is something that is an imperative when it comes to customer service, and if a customer is not receiving what they believe they should after reasonable attempts, it's time for them to escalate. Having spent my entire career in customer service one way or the other, people in customer service MUST adapt to the way their customers want to do business, not the other way around if the business wants to truly be best of breed.

Bert, yes, wasn't generalizing but looking at it from what some have said over time. Almost all the floor staff at my local Tesla shop and nearby gallery are under 30. If DS are supposed to give extra handholding during the order process but they are not responsive to emails or sometimes full vmail boxes, are they worth the overhead expense to Tesla to maintain them?

Bigger question is - would you go "without a DS experience" if the car was $500 less? $1000 less? What is the handling really worth? Say you join a great country club but they do not have caddies or bag boys who clean your clubs. Would it be worth the money spent or would you play the same perfectly manicured course for the same money? I just can't see DS scaling into Model 3 and those buyers may just need to reply on either online status. How about when they take 50,000 pre orders for Model 3 or more and when production starts, they get weekly emails from many of them asking "when am I going to production?" Of course, keeping prices low for mass market EV is critical for mass adoption. We need municipal golf course prices to get more on the EV course. To drive down price, we must see logistics costs go down. For the most part, knowing production status, completion status and transit info can be done almost entirely by computer. If configurations are locked down upon confirmation, it is a set contract and do DS really buy you much after that?

Bert, yes, wasn't generalizing but looking at it from what some have said over time. Almost all the floor staff at my local Tesla shop and nearby gallery are under 30. If DS are supposed to give extra handholding during the order process but they are not responsive to emails or sometimes full vmail boxes, are they worth the overhead expense to Tesla to maintain them?

Bigger question is - would you go "without a DS experience" if the car was $500 less? $1000 less? What is the handling really worth? Say you join a great country club but they do not have caddies or bag boys who clean your clubs. Would it be worth the money spent or would you play the same perfectly manicured course for the same money? I just can't see DS scaling into Model 3 and those buyers may just need to reply on either online status. How about when they take 50,000 pre orders for Model 3 or more and when production starts, they get weekly emails from many of them asking "when am I going to production?" Of course, keeping prices low for mass market EV is critical for mass adoption. We need municipal golf course prices to get more on the EV course. To drive down price, we must see logistics costs go down. For the most part, knowing production status, completion status and transit info can be done almost entirely by computer. If configurations are locked down upon confirmation, it is a set contract and do DS really buy you much after that?

I try to be a really self-sufficient guy, so my DS provided me what the automation did not -- e.g. getting a copy of the MS Manual, Extended Warranty, and Service Agreements before confirming my MS order so I could be completely informed on my decisions; Understanding my options with possible trade-in and getting that quote (which I ended-up not using); Assisted shifting my delivery date around because of planned out-of-town date I knew about before ordering; Coordinated dual-charger and console installation -- frankly, all the things I'd expect my normal dealership sales person (and unfortunately their finance person) to assist with to close the deal with both the vehicle and accessories/options I purchased with it. I agree with you though, Tesla can improve their automation just a little more and reduce even some of the interaction I needed to engage my DS on -- I told him and have communicated that back in surveys. It is a requirement for future volume delivery. My personal hope is Elon/Tesla begins to position perhaps vehicles like MS/MX with services/capabilities that won't exist or have durations cut back as standard in M3 -- they must do that to get M3 pricing to a point it will work, and IMHO as you point out, to just deal with volume sales.

I sent another email to my DS today, and to his credit, he responded within a few hours - very impressive. It seems he is being reassigned to Denmark through to the end of the year, but will have my new DS respond to me tomorrow. From underdelivering badly, that single move re-established my confidence in their services.

Just got off the phone with my new DS, who seems to have things well in hand.

I am generally not one to need a lot of handholding, but for things that I can't research on my own, and on a site that I know is valid for my location, I get unsure, and want contact with the people who can give me definite answers.

I sent another email to my DS today, and to his credit, he responded within a few hours - very impressive. It seems he is being reassigned to Denmark through to the end of the year, but will have my new DS respond to me tomorrow. From underdelivering badly, that single move re-established my confidence in their services.

I can see Denmark pulling in extra people. I think it may outsell Norway in Q4 of this year due to the subsidy situation changing at end of year in DK.