Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10mm Wheel Spacers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the wheel studs are long enough on the Model S to safely accommodate 10mm spacers? Is anyone here running them? Adaptec Speedware makes some very high quality 10mm spacers that are hubcentric, but I don't want to deal with pressing in longer, aftermarket studs.

Every manufacturer is going to tell you not to use wheel spacers for legal reasons. They'll even tell you not to use aftermarket wheels. It doesn't mean much, they just need to cover their ***es. I'm not looking for a "wheel spacers aren't safe" debate. If you have appropriate length wheel studs, there is virtually no difference between running a properly manufactured wheel spacer vs. having a wheel with a 10mm more aggressive offset.

I was simple asking if anyone knew if there were enough threads on the stock wheel studs to safely use a 10mm spacer because I don't have a car to measure yet.

Reactions: We Are Venom
Alright, I guess let's just try this a different way. I won't use the word "safe" and ask a strictly mathematical question:

If you take one of your lug nuts off, is there at least 20mm of exposed thread from the end of the stud to where the lug nut makes contact with the wheel? :D

Anyone know if they eliminated the little nub on the hubs? You couldn't even fit spacers onto early vehicles because there was a protrusion coming out of the hub. You'd have to drill out some metal on the spacer, structurally compromising it.

I seem to recall they did away with it, but I'm a little foggy.

Anyone know if they eliminated the little nub on the hubs? You couldn't even fit spacers onto early vehicles because there was a protrusion coming out of the hub. You'd have to drill out some metal on the spacer, structurally compromising it.

I seem to recall they did away with it, but I'm a little foggy.

The "nub" is the torx screw that holds the rotor on to the hub. You can just remove the screw, it's unnecessary. As soon as you torque the lug nuts the wheel / lug nuts are holding the rotor to the hub. That screw is just there presumably for the factory since they have robots turning the car all kinds of weird directions without wheels on it and they don't want the rotors to fall off. ;)

Does anyone know if the wheel studs are long enough on the Model S to safely accommodate 10mm spacers? Is anyone here running them? Adaptec Speedware makes some very high quality 10mm spacers that are hubcentric, but I don't want to deal with pressing in longer, aftermarket studs.
You'll need at minimum 5 thread engagement. I originally ordered mine at 10 mm and barely have 2-3, I machined it down to 6 mm and I have 5-6 thread engagement, it's perfect. You'll need a hub centric spacer.

There is a lot of space on the MS Tesla for spacers. I installed 25mm in the front and 30mm in the back. Totally changed the car. I highly recommend you pay the higher price for quality upon making a decision. You do not want inferior design nor vibration. I purchased my set from Germany and the design has the spacers bolt into the car and then uses the original studs to bolt into the spacers for a perfect fit. Billet machined aluminum spacers.

There is a lot of space on the MS Tesla for spacers. I installed 25mm in the front and 30mm in the back. Totally changed the car. I highly recommend you pay the higher price for quality upon making a decision. You do not want inferior design nor vibration. I purchased my set from Germany and the design has the spacers bolt into the car and then uses the original studs to bolt into the spacers for a perfect fit. Billet machined aluminum spacers.

I have the 21" staggered wheels and am considering going with 18mm rear and 15mm front in addition to the lowering links.
Could you please provide link to where you purchased? Can you provide pics of your car for reference?

You'll need at minimum 5 thread engagement. I originally ordered mine at 10 mm and barely have 2-3, I machined it down to 6 mm and I have 5-6 thread engagement, it's perfect. You'll need a hub centric spacer.

That's what I was worried about. I'm anal and want at least 6.5-7 turns. Apparently early models had longer studs that could accommodate up to 15mm spacers, and now it seems even 10mm don't fit. :(

Guess I'll just go with staggered offset wheels then, unfortunately.

Thank you for the info!