Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FUD Troll Reposting AmpedRealtors' Comments in CNET Article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A well know anti Tesla troll, keefwivanef (has many aliases) copied and used AmpedRealtor's posts on Autopilot to comment on a CNET article
TMC post
AmpedRealtor | OCTOBER 19, 2015 @ Pungoteague_Dave,
I am in complete and total agreement! I find it utterly irresponsible for Tesla to release as BETA a system that could cause the car to crash so easily and readily. Tesla states a lot of use conditions and restrictions, which is great for the lawyers to use in court, but the court of public opinion will not be as forgiving of Tesla if someone's car crashes or (god forbid) life is lost.
Owners are now having to substitute normal driving attentiveness for babysitting the car's beta feature to keep from crashing into something. Lovely.

Article- Tesla Autopilot fail videos emerge, because nobody likes to listen - CNET (in comment section)

I'm only posting b/c I think Amped comments are really insightful and I don't think he would like this. I also wonder how many trolls repost comments to bash Tesla from TMC forums w/o permission (Mods feel free to put this in correct forum)

Does having a copyright statement and "no use without permission" language in the signature line help prevent troll reposts?

We definitely saw a reduction in that behavior after adopting that language.

As many like to point out, it is likely not legally enforceable. But in the court of public opinion ("I didn't give you permission and specifically said you needed to get it") it can be used to show the lack of ethics on the person reusing the post. As I said, it seems to work.

It works as well as putting a "PROTECTED BY BRINKS HOME SECURITY" sign on your house with no real security.

Reminds me of a car show demo on the "Club" I saw years ago. They had a mock up of a car dash with the Club affixed to the steering wheel along with an assortment of saws, cutters and such. The presenter challenged anyone in the audience to come up, use any of the tools and see if he could get the Club off the steering wheel. Guy walks up, grabs the cutters, snips the steering wheel, pulls the steering wheel open enough to slip the Club off in about 5 seconds. It was hilarious. But they may be a deterrent for some... kinda like the Brinks sign when there is no system to back it up.

All the more reason I wish TMC would lock down threads to members only. Will it stop it completely? No, but most people looking to spread FUD will be too lazy to sign up. His buddies that want to come here to read it will be too lazy to sign up. We're low hanging fruit.
To take it a little farther, I belong to another forum(unrelated) where it's a small annual fee to be a member. It's funny how professional the atmosphere is there versus a nearly identical free forum. Keeps the riff raff out.

All the more reason I wish TMC would lock down threads to members only. Will it stop it completely? No, but most people looking to spread FUD will be too lazy to sign up. His buddies that want to come here to read it will be too lazy to sign up. We're low hanging fruit.
To take it a little farther, I belong to another forum(unrelated) where it's a small annual fee to be a member. It's funny how professional the atmosphere is there versus a nearly identical free forum. Keeps the riff raff out.
That would also inhibit many potential Tesla buyers from browsing the threads and then getting excited about the car and buying one and becoming contributing members of the forum and the EV community. We want to make it easier for people to find out they want to buy an EV, and especially a Tesla, not put obstacles in their way. Posting is another matter, I wouldn't mind posting to be limited to owners and reservation holders.

That would also inhibit many potential Tesla buyers from browsing the threads and then getting excited about the car and buying one and becoming contributing members of the forum and the EV community. We want to make it easier for people to find out they want to buy an EV, and especially a Tesla, not put obstacles in their way. Posting is another matter, I wouldn't mind posting to be limited to owners and reservation holders.

I can understand that. I just hate when even "professional" journalists start citing TMC to report issues.

I think I'm pretty much opposed to everything brought up in this thread.

1.) I'm opposed to AmpRealtors comment. I understand where he is coming from, but I don't agree. I have a car with AP so I have experience using it, and I also don't put much stock into whether something is called Beta. Lastly autopilot has it's limitations no matter how well the SW works. I know the initial videos had a "shock" factor, but I don't truly think this is where the danger lies. There is a certain danger to any level II semi-autonomous car. It doesn't matter if it's a Tesla, MB, Volvo or whatever. What it really comes down to is what should a manufacture allow the customer to do? I've always tended to side with giving people power, and letting people be victims of their own stupidity. But, I definitely understand the other perspective where a manufacture limits the customer to not only protect the customer from stupidity, but also to protect the manufacture. The problem with that position is we can't have nice things. Nice thing like ABS which is one of the most important safety features in cars. When it was introduced people had learned muscle memory of how to brake without it, yet that muscle memory was WRONG for ABS. Did it cause accidents? of course it did. But, overall it prevented WAY more accidents in the long run then not having it. Will auto-pilot save lives? Yes in the long run, but we have to get their first.

2.) I disagree with posting of someone else's comment in the manner the troll did. It wasn't clear to anyone not familiar with the people on TMC what it even was.

3.) I disagree with censoring non-owners. This is a very important place for people to research the car, and to have questions answered. Sure there is a problem with non-owners not understanding how something works, and being alarmist. Hell I was one of them before I bought the car. I thought the behavior of how the car handled both pedals pushed down the wrong way. Now that I have the car I realize that I don't have any issue with it.

Part of the do not use my stuff without my permission is confusing. If I write something on a public forum (like TMC), I have "put it out there". No one is taking it without permission.

I think the part that bothers me is pulling content out of context without attribution. I always assume every writer has an agenda. If I care enough about the subject and the quote, I'll read the source material to make sure it was not quoted out of context.

Lastly, does knowing what you write may be used elsewhere moderate your position(s)? I know it does mine.

Part of the do not use my stuff without my permission is confusing. If I write something on a public forum (like TMC), I have "put it out there". No one is taking it without permission.

I think the part that bothers me is pulling content out of context without attribution. I always assume every writer has an agenda. If I care enough about the subject and the quote, I'll read the source material to make sure it was not quoted out of context.

I would guess quoting a post here would fall under fair use--lifting an entire post or blog post and passing it off as your own probably not.

Lastly, does knowing what you write may be used elsewhere moderate your position(s)? I know it does mine.

+1 - I usually also try and avoid posting things that can easy to taken out of context to misconstrue my intent.

What drives me crazy is that we as owners are fond of Tesla yet we do not hesitate to point out at mistakes of Tesla....and these people just copy our thoughts and statements and publish it... to seek attention ...:cursing:

This bothers me greatly because his comments are somewhat out of context. His attitude towards Tesla in general is supportive and positive. He only wants accountability and property testing for such a system as driver assistance. And a general challenge to Tesla to be better ave make good choices. Just like the rest of us.