Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot is already improving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far I have a little over 300 miles on autopilot, mostly 20 miles at a time on my commute to and from work.
The first day when I was in the right lane, as I approached exit ramps, it would dive for the exit ramp. I quickly learned to apply torque to the wheel to hold the car on the interstate until I had passed the exit.
Each day the system seems to have less tendency to follow the exit ramps as I pass.
The last two days it only gave a momentary wiggle and moved over maybe six inches towards the exit ramp then it recoverd and moved on down the road.
This morning it gave only a very slight hesitation, so little that I did not have to correct it at all. I find it remarkable that it is improving this rapidly.
I wonder if it is getting more information on this section of road or if it is changing how it reacts to any exit ramp?
This car and this company continue to impress.

I was going to jokingly suggest the car is learning based on loud swearing AND steering wheel torque at the same time. But then I thought about it. Could Tesla ACTUALLY EMPLOY voice commands combined with GPS tagging so you could guide the car's behavior, much like you'd train a dog?

I noticed the same. Last week AP tended to head for the exits when driving in the right lane. Now I am noticing a brief momentary wiggle to the right that is quickly corrected and the car stays on the highway. I'm not sure if it is a fluke, or if the car is learning from my previous route or from other Teslas that have been driving the same route.

So far I have a little over 300 miles on autopilot, mostly 20 miles at a time on my commute to and from work.
The first day when I was in the right lane, as I approached exit ramps, it would dive for the exit ramp. I quickly learned to apply torque to the wheel to hold the car on the interstate until I had passed the exit.
Each day the system seems to have less tendency to follow the exit ramps as I pass.
The last two days it only gave a momentary wiggle and moved over maybe six inches towards the exit ramp then it recovered and moved on down the road.
This morning it gave only a very slight hesitation, so little that I did not have to correct it at all. I find it remarkable that it is improving this rapidly.
I wonder if it is getting more information on this section of road or if it is changing how it reacts to any exit ramp?
This car and this company continue to impress.

Wow! As for the reason, I think it's 50/50.

When in AutoSteering mode, a press down (up) of the AP control stalk could switch
the car to a new "follow left (right) lane line" mode.

Then, if in the right lane, wanting to bypass right-side exits, setting the "follow left lane line"
mode as the steering preference would seem likely to work well, and allow switching to
the "follow right lane line" to take the next exit, or to take the right branch through an interchange
onto another freeway, or to avoid entering a left turn lane.

A big press up or down (to the second position) could still be speed control, but
a small press (just to the first position) could be the lane-following preference.

I noticed that on sharply curved ramp connecting I-80 west with CA-113 north in Davis, the first time it took the curve at full speed and wasn't able to stay in lane resulting in a "take control immediately" alert. After a few more times on this curve with firm pressure on the steering wheel it's now learned to slow down and today had no issue taking the curve. Definitely learning.

Reactions: Blackout
the highway exit issue isn't unique to Tesla for sure.
My wife has a CRV Touring with LKAS (lane keeping assist) which does basic lane keeping etc, it also has a tendency to wander off into exit lanes on the highway until you "persuade" it to stay on target. However it whines at you if you take your hands off the wheel for too long ;)

I noticed that on sharply curved ramp connecting I-80 west with CA-113 north in Davis, the first time it took the curve at full speed and wasn't able to stay in lane resulting in a "take control immediately" alert. After a few more times on this curve with firm pressure on the steering wheel it's now learned to slow down and today had no issue taking the curve. Definitely learning.

Wow, so you're saying that the car not only steers better but that it is also throttling back speed on the curve by itself? That's pretty awesome.

If your car is learning when to slow down the TACC by experience, that
is a rather laborious method. If the results are being uploaded and
put into a database for my car to use, that could be quite helpful, but
still not at all as fast as using already existing data to compute such
a database, or just compute what you need for your immediate journey.

From Google maps one could look ahead to the upcoming curve and
calculate the radii needed to traverse the road ahead. Essentially this
is already done to compute the lines to draw the route, but would only
need to be done in real time for the road segments immediately ahead.

This is similar to the traffic speed data that Google appears to capture
on car speeds, probably from tracking user-enabled Android phones,
but a mostly static database of "normal" weather "safe" speeds.

Reading the yellow "suggested speeds" signs would also help.

Normally, staying under AP, one can only slow by using the AP
control stalk, since any use of the brake turns AP Off, right?

Umm, no. Previously it would TAKE the exit, on 10 out of 10 exits. I would have to literally grab the wheel and disengage AP.

Now, with just my hands hovering over the wheel...it starts to veer gently and then goes back into the lane.

Okay this is blowing my mind. I have seen similar posts in other threads, people using AP reporting that the Auto Steer function seems to be rapidly improving with repeated trips on the same roads. This thread seems to confirm that is actually happening. I am not 100% convinced yet, but I'm leaning that way.
If this is really true, Tesla is going to very quickly be far ahead of every other self-driving system available from the other auto manufacturers.