Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stereoscopic cameras on the front?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
Does this mean better AP?

section-exterior-primary-wings-open-front-view.jpg

From Tesla's press release last night:

"Every Model X carries a forward-looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors to enable advanced autopilot features. Tesla's over-the-air software updates regularly improve the sophistication of these features, enabling increasingly capable safety and convenience features like Autosteer and Autopark, and bringing the Model X ever closer to autonomous operation."

It specifically says "a forward-looking camera." Why would nobody have mentioned it from the event last night and why would they make that error in the press release? Maybe that photo is showing a future feature for both the S and X? Or it just looks that way in that photo? Also, on other brands, the stereo cameras are further apart. Like on each side of the rear-view. That separation looks too small unless it's two different focal lengths.

The separation is a good point, I didn't think of that.

I don't see why it has to be separated more, but other car manufacturers didn't put them that close probably for a reason...

The further apart, the more different the view. This stereo separation provides clearer "depth cues" and can help see behind objects that are obstructed in one camera view, for example.

cars in 29th event had different hardware than in Tesla's website car.

attachment.php?attachmentid=96214&stc=1&d=1443664524.jpg

Yes. We've know. We are saying that we think there is better autopilot hardware in the works and that the cars delivered to the founders didn't have he same hardware pictured on the Tesla site or spotted in the wild. The cars that the founders received look like they have room for the second camera so maybe it could be retrofitted but I don't know if that is the only hardware missing.

Just looking at it now, It seems like there may be the second camera, but in order to not talk about Autopilot at the event (waiting for release on the S), they may have covered it up.

it looks like it is just a panel covering it.

Elon reconfirmed that model S and model X will have the same AP capabilities. I think we can let the dream of stereoscopic cameras softly float away.

Unless he meant current S and X vehicles on the road. What the future (even in the short term) who knows. I think they are already planning 2.0 hardware (or 1.5) but do not want to roll it out before they get 1.0 operating.

Today's "Your Autopilot has arrived" email mentions:
Our latest software update allows Model S to use its unique combination of cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors, and data to steer down the highway, change lanes, and adjust speed in response to traffic

Does that mean they are using the rear camera in addition to the front camera...or was it a slip-up indicating stereoscopic cameras (as pictured earlier in this thread) are on their way? :cool: